Brewer Fanatic

The 2013 injury thread (Knees, thumbs, shoulders, ligaments: you dream it, a Brewer can injure it)

No way would I make a QO for Hart after this season. He had knee surgery prior to last season which obviously didn't fix the problem, so after getting a recommendation to have a more invasive procedure which would've cost him the season, he had the same surgery that didn't work the first time. Since he didn't have the more invasive surgery, there is a good chance the injury has not been fully corrected, meaning more knee problems / time missed in the future.

We blew the chance to trade Hart for something of value. Now we just need to hope that we can get some production out of the $10MM we're paying him this season and let him walk away. Let someone else pay for him to break down in the future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to mention where would he play? I'm of the opinion that Hunter Morris is just about ready for the bigs right now. I definitely don't want to see him have to repeat AAA next season so Corey can sign on a ~$13M deal.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sickening to hear. Basically, our only real hope with Hart is that we don't even trade alone for anything but that a team takes him with another player as a wildcard to get what we ask for, for the other player.

A complete waste, and definitely zero reasons to QO him. Why give him a pay raise close to 14mil? I have serious doubts at this point Hart gets anything over 7mil a season after this season. Definitely going to become a 1yr deal player until some team gives him a 2year deal to finish his career.

About the only team that would remotely make sense currently to take on Hart in the AL is Oakland. Maybe Tampa Bay. Both would require us to pretty much pay his salary this season. Oakland would likely see him as a 1b/OF/DH bat to get in their lineup. Their RPs though are all producing so it's hard to fit him. Tampa on the other hand their DH slots are fairly bad, and their RPs aren't producing so maybe it works that way Hart plus RP. Maybe you get Mike Montgomery in return and whether he succeeds or not, it's better than nothing.

Then there's the tidbit, Braun's thumb hasn't improved at all....or maybe marginally. The problem being when he swings his bat. You're 11games under .500 going nowhere this season, Hart is out closer for the entire season than he his for at least half the remainder this season. May as well protect your Franchise player(and investment) at this point and put him on the DL indefinitely. Leaving him no chance of aggravating the thumb more. So the question is, how many players on the 40man have served time on the DL this season? Adding Braun would he be safe to say almost half?

Well, the real lesson that should be learned here is to sell high on guys like Hart. He should've been traded quite awhile ago. No matter what ends up happening, they won't get adequate value for him. This is why Ramirez should definitely be traded at the deadline as well. He could drop off or end up becoming injury prone, and with a fat contract. Time to move him now while they still can.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Can we please just call up Hunter Morris already? Saving a couple hundred thousand in Super Two vs killing your season with sub-replacement level "first basemen " makes zero sense. The Brewers have an upgrade and it's driving me nuts that they stubbornly refuse to utilize it.

Can we please just call up Hunter Morris already? Saving a couple hundred thousand in Super Two vs killing your season with sub-replacement level "first basemen " makes zero sense. The Brewers have an upgrade and it's driving me nuts that they stubbornly refuse to utilize it.

The season is already lost, so there's really no point to call up Morris. He's had his ups and downs in AAA, and we're better off leaving him there. Especially since chances are that Hart will be with the team for the rest of the season. The last thing we need is Morris coming up and pressing. There have been a lot of cases where players come up too early, struggle, lose confidence, and hurt their development. I don't wanna see that with Morris. We already saw that in the spring when he had a shot at the 1B job. He's better off finishing strong in AAA, and coming out next year with a shot at the everyday job if Hart is gone.

Yeah and a good part of the reason the season is down the toilet goes directly to not going with the best option in the organization in the first place. They literally cost the team three or four games by not taking their lumps with their best option.

It was a self fulfilling prophecy.

Might as well let Francisco play everyday, as he is the closest thing we have to an everyday 3B if Ramirez were to get traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Might as well let Francisco play everyday, as he is the closest thing we have to an everyday 3B if Ramirez were to get traded.

Jury is still out on Francisco too. This is his time to show what he has or they'll need to look elsewhere.

Yeah and a good part of the reason the season is down the toilet goes directly to not going with the best option in the organization in the first place. They literally cost the team three or four games by not taking their lumps with their best option.

For one, 3 or 4 games wouldn't make much difference. They'd still be too far out of the race. Maybe they'd have a very outside shot at the 2nd wild card, but that's about it. And also that's assuming that Morris could've put up a WAR of 2-3, seeing as Yuni is at around -1. I highly doubt that would've been anywhere close to the case. He maybe would've gotten them 2 more wins at best. The main problem has been the starting rotation. The struggles of Weeks and Lucroy for the first 2 months and the Ramirez injury were far more of a problem for the offense than who was playing 1B.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/repeated-delays-in-return-leave-corey-hart-frustrated-b9940562z1-212864181.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sounds like Hart may miss the entire season now. He definitely won't be back after the all-star break. The people that speculated he may miss the whole season could very well be right.

I'm sure Corey Hart sees money flying out the window. A complete washout of a 2013 season probably means a 1 year make-good contract in 2014.

And I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than see Yuni B start at first again. AAA 1b filler could give better production than Yuni.

ABYB.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/repeated-delays-in-return-leave-corey-hart-frustrated-b9940562z1-212864181.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sounds like Hart may miss the entire season now. He definitely won't be back after the all-star break. The people that speculated he may miss the whole season could very well be right.

Let's see, as I recall, 1 DR. said his procedure would mean a full season of missed games. Another DR. says his different procedure could have him back in 4-6months time?

Could the other DR have just been super shady and sold his procedure to Hart for business purposes knowing his timetable was way off?

At what point can the Brewers collect, if any, insurance money for his time on the DL? Especially if it turns out missing entire season?

For one, 3 or 4 games wouldn't make much difference. They'd still be too far out of the race. Maybe they'd have a very outside shot at the 2nd wild card, but that's about it. And also that's assuming that Morris could've put up a WAR of 2-3, seeing as Yuni is at around -1. I highly doubt that would've been anywhere close to the case. He maybe would've gotten them 2 more wins at best. The main problem has been the starting rotation. The struggles of Weeks and Lucroy for the first 2 months and the Ramirez injury were far more of a problem for the offense than who was playing 1B.

More than Yuni has played first base.

Fangraphs has the Brewers as sporting a -3.2 WAR out of first base. In less than half a season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=23&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

That's astonishingly bad.

Yeah, a first baseman alone wasn't going to turn around the season, starting pitching is a problem too, but it certainly would have helped. A real first baseman and perhaps the Brewers are looking at a 35 and 38 mark at this point in the season, which doesn't exactly put you in the hunt for playoffs but at least leaves you in the hunt for a winning record.

Who knows, a real first baseman, the arrival of Hellweg, and Peralta making any sort of progress and perhaps it wouldn't be a completely lost season.

In any event, it's completely unacceptable what the Brewers got out of first base. It's possibly historically bad. And, I think it's hard to understate just how much it's affected the season.

If Hart really is not coming back I don't see the harm giving Morris and/or Halton a shot this year. The year is basically lost already. I don't think Morris or Halton are going to be stars where you need to worry about service time. Just get one or both of them up and see what they can do. Halton can probably play a passably OK LF and if Braun is still out for a bit then both of them could see some solid time. Yuni is the obvious DFA and Francisco hasn't shown me enough to warrant keeping him either

Let's see, as I recall, 1 DR. said his procedure would mean a full season of missed games. Another DR. says his different procedure could have him back in 4-6months time?

Could the other DR have just been super shady and sold his procedure to Hart for business purposes knowing his timetable was way off?

If we are talking an average person as the patient, yes, I could see that happening. But when the patient is a multi-million dollar athlete working for a 100+ million dollar organization, the Brewers are going to make sure that everything gets run by their own medical staff.

Okay Jericho you're right, I went back and found the articles on Hart. He had the 2nd opinion which delayed his original surgery by the Team Dr. by 3days only. I thought I read somewhere there was a prognosis of him missing a full season with one type of surgery or the 4-6months with what likely was done to his knee. Guess I remembered wrong.

Anyway, are we really going to believe signing him to a 1yr deal next year is worthwhile? My guess is a team will outbid Milwaukee on a 1yr deal and if we were to sign him away from those teams it would come at the cost of a 2year deal. Something like they offer him 1 year at 9mil or we offer 2years at 14mil. It's just too much money to invest in a guy with suspect knees.

You wonder if the Brewers just approach him and say, forget this season, we cant trade you, and there's no reason to come back for 1 month's of games when we aren't playing for anything. I mean I guess the club could say come back for the final 2weeks of the season so you can get your swan song in front of the Milwaukee Fans. But honestly, the Team dropped the ball by not trading him during the winter meetings before the winter workouts injured his knee. At that time we still had healthy Gamel/Green to take his place. Just a shame, we get nothing for Corey when the rumors back in the day were maybe Bumgarner for Hart from SF.

Okay Jericho you're right, I went back and found the articles on Hart. He had the 2nd opinion which delayed his original surgery by the Team Dr. by 3days only. I thought I read somewhere there was a prognosis of him missing a full season with one type of surgery or the 4-6months with what likely was done to his knee. Guess I remembered wrong.

Anyway, are we really going to believe signing him to a 1yr deal next year is worthwhile? My guess is a team will outbid Milwaukee on a 1yr deal and if we were to sign him away from those teams it would come at the cost of a 2year deal. Something like they offer him 1 year at 9mil or we offer 2years at 14mil. It's just too much money to invest in a guy with suspect knees.

You wonder if the Brewers just approach him and say, forget this season, we cant trade you, and there's no reason to come back for 1 month's of games when we aren't playing for anything. I mean I guess the club could say come back for the final 2weeks of the season so you can get your swan song in front of the Milwaukee Fans. But honestly, the Team dropped the ball by not trading him during the winter meetings before the winter workouts injured his knee. At that time we still had healthy Gamel/Green to take his place. Just a shame, we get nothing for Corey when the rumors back in the day were maybe Bumgarner for Hart from SF.

There was. The first prognosis was a completely different procedure: Microfracture surgery, which is what Andrew Bogut (and a whole bunch of other NBA players) have had done to attempt to regenerate cartilage in their knees, and would have put him out for at least 12 months.

Instead, Hart went with the second doctor's opinion and went with an attempted repair of his meniscus.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/02/13/hart-ahead-of-schedule/

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

DoU is reporting that Hardicourt tweeted that Hart is having problems with his knee and is going to get a 2nd opinion on it.

Pretty safe to say he's likely done for the season.

Tom @Haudricourt

More bad news on #Brewers Corey Hart. Now his other knee is bothering him. Going for a second opinion.

Oh, hadn't seen this mentioned by anyone but it appears Braun isn't returning til at least After the All-Star Break! Wow, that's just awful news.

Baseball this season seems to be suffering more injuries this year than normal. Does anyone else think the same? Which team wins the Most injured team in the League? I've read Dodgers,Padres,Yankees having mass injuries/games missed. But the Brewers have 4 players that won't step on the field 1 day this season that would have been on their 25man roster. How much worse can any other team possibly have it?

Then add Braun, Burgos,Narveson,Estrada,Figaro,Fiers to that.

Archived