Brewer Fanatic

Summer 2013 Music Fest/Concert Thread

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We usually have a Summerfest lineup, but thought I'd make a thread for every festival/concert this summer.

The Lollapalooza lineup is pretty sick. Unfortunately, tickets sold out in about an hour. I think I may have gotten the last one available for Friday. The secondary market is usually about double face value.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

Summerfest's lineup is again all over the place as their thing is more music for everyone rather than one genre.

http://summerfest.com/lineup

The side stages look really intriguing this year at the Fest. Grouplove, MGMT, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Silverspun Pickups, Guster, Dropkick Murphys, and Imagine Dragons are all shows I'd see. I'm sure three of those bands will be playing at the same time though :)

On the main stage, Avett Brothers is the only show I'd care about.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm loving the ground stage acts so far.

-Bad Religion

- Social D

- Dropkick

- Atmosphere

- Yeasayer

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

- Femi Kuti

The Avett Brothers/Violent Femmes show would be fun, but I loathe shows at the Marcus.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I'm taking my teenage son to see RUSH! He has never been to a concert, what a great first concert to see and file in the memory bank!
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...

Local music plug! This Friday night my band is having a CD release show.

Friday May 3 @ Hotel Foster

Har Mar Superstar

The Saltshakers (CD Release)

Saturday Nite Duets

Check out the video for Har Mar Superstar - DUI by clicking below:

My band's music is available at http://www.thesaltshakers.com

We play at 9 PM and it's $10 for the show. We're giving away a 3 song CD single to everyone at the door. Thanks to anyone that gives us a listen!

Local music plug! This Friday night my band is having a CD release show.

Friday May 3 @ Hotel Foster

Har Mar Superstar

The Saltshakers (CD Release)

Saturday Nite Duets

Check out the video for Har Mar Superstar - DUI by clicking below:

My band's music is available at http://www.thesaltshakers.com

We play at 9 PM and it's $10 for the show. We're giving away a 3 song CD single to everyone at the door. Thanks to anyone that gives us a listen!

That's awesome. I love Har Mar Superstar. His music is very addictive. Good luck with the CD release!

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping this thread to plug a free show at SPiN (the ping pong bar) tomorrow night at 9 PM. First band plays 9:30-10, we play 10:15-11. Free show, but the ping pong will cost you if you want to reserve a table. SPiN is at 233 E. Chicago St. in the Third Ward.

This is probably a good place to ask about this... I'm under the impression that Lollapalooza 3 day passes sold out before they even announced the acts... is this true? And if so... how is that possible? Would tens of thousands of people really pay $100+ for concert tickets without even knowing who will be playing? That blows my mind.

This is probably a good place to ask about this... I'm under the impression that Lollapalooza 3 day passes sold out before they even announced the acts... is this true? And if so... how is that possible? Would tens of thousands of people really pay $100+ for concert tickets without even knowing who will be playing? That blows my mind.

Yes

People know the lineup is usually pretty solid.

Yes. Although I'm sure brokers buy plenty of them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yea, they sold out while I was in a meeting. I've gone the past 5 years, but this year I barely managed to get single day tickets before they sold out. Actually, I couldn't even get single day tickets, my buddy was able to get extras for me and my girlfriend while I was stuck in the online waiting room.

Why? The speculation is that more went to ticket brokers. There were also thousands available on Stubhub right away for double face, so people were buying as many as they could just to resell.

This will probably be my last year, its not worth it anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
Today was possibly the worst experience I've ever had at the festival. Apparently, the park was full (they stopped selling tickets/letting people in) as Imagine Dragons was about to start and there were riots/fights outside the park.

"Faced with a crush of patrons trying to get into the Summerfest grounds Saturday night, festival officials took the extraordinary step of allowing people into the grounds for free for a short time, an official said.

Summerfest spokesman John Boler said he could not remember the last time the festival made such a move. He said it was necessary given the size of the crowd.

Boler said the decision was made jointly between festival officials and Milwaukee police, who patrol the grounds. A police spokesman did not immediately return a call for comment.

In a statement, Boler wrote that all three gates at Summerfest "encountered an extraordinary amount of patrons trying to purchase tickets."

"In an effort to safely accommodate the customers, MPD and Summerfest temporarily opened the Mid Gate and allowed patrons in to Summerfest to alleviate some of the congestion for approximately 15 minutes," Boler wrote."

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/summerfest-lets-patrons-in-for-free-to-relieve-long-lines-b9944933z1-213731131.html

Today was possibly the worst experience I've ever had at the festival. Apparently, the park was full (they stopped selling tickets/letting people in) as Imagine Dragons was about to start and there were riots/fights outside the park.

The Imagine Dragons show was complete chaos. I have never seen that many people trying to see a show. We were in the middle and there were people as far as you could see watching the show. People weren't able to walk through the main walk area because people were watching the show. People were packed in the picnic table/bleacher area like sardines. We ended up leaving about 30 minutes into the show because we figured it would take forever to get out after the show was over... and it took us 15 minutes to go probably 200-250 feet. I was talking to the people next to us, and they were saying it took them 90 minutes to buy their tickets and get into the grounds. Unreal.

On a side note... I'm amazed at parents bringing their LITTLE kids to these events. There was a mom with 2 kids (probably 2-3) trying to get closer in the Imagine Dragons performance. There as a guy on stage standing next to the performing DJ holding a small baby. There was a couple with 2 babies in a stroller about 5 rows from the stage at the LL Cool J performance. I just shake my head!

Kind of a perfect storm in that it's the weekend, there's not much else going on, it wasn't oppressively hot, and there seemed to be only one big name side stage show. I looked at the lineup and figured that most of the people who weren't at the Amphitheater watching Jason Aldean would be there to see Imagine Dragons. I'm old enough to remember when there were 40,000 people at the Huey Lewis show at the old main stage back in 1984. Not sure what the attendance was tonight but it's been dangerously packed before and it will be again.

Imagine Dragons from the skyglider:

http://instagram.com/p/bKxl7DCo6B/

I was there Friday night for the atmosphere show. Other than the fact that it poured right as we got to the grounds for about 35 minutes, it was great. Spent the whole night miserably soaking wet, but Atmosphere was as good as always.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Country USA in Oshkosh filled the people in pretty good. Other then the last 2 acts on the stage each night, no one seemed to care about the music. Weather was only nice one day out of the 5 days. Lots of kids playing in the mud. Not a fan of Country music (was a vendor at the show), but Eric Church, Billy Currington and Tobey Keith all were pretty entertaining to me.

I'll be attending ROCK USA in Oshkosh towards the end of July. As a vendor again, but as a fan as well. Godsmack, Van Halen, Twisted Sister, Saliva, Sevendust, etc. Lots of older bands I didn't mention. I'm sure you can go on ROCK USA's website to see everyone.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Archived