Brewer Fanatic

Taking baseball "rookies" to a game

jjkoestler
I'm taking a few baseball rookies to the game on Sunday. They do not watch baseball and have never been to a Brewers game. I mentioned the overall experience at MP is great and there is a lot to do at the stadium, but I rarely leave my seat during the game. Anyone else take a rookie to a game? How did you sell it? What did they enjoy? What didn't they enjoy?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I guess my first question would be - what are the ages?

If kids - right field level corridor is a must - tons of stuff for the kids. If its warm my kids like the playground outside home plate entrance too. The other things they like is hot dogs ... Candy/ice cream - soda - I bring snacks in as it is more cost effective

Adults - if they like to drink there are lot of beer stands to choose from with different beer options outside of MillerCoors on 1st and 2nd level. If they are food connoisseurs - a stroll through level 1/2 is a good idea too. If warm or are fine with cold temps - tailgating can be fun with the right group. Usually a must for first timers ...

The first time I went into Miller Park for their Open House I went in at the left field and walked to center field for my first view and I was floored. I recommend doing that. Take a lap around the concourse and show off the Braves area, and the Wisconsin Born area. I get a kick out of all the signed baseballs from players and familes near left field entrance.

Look on Stubhub or eBay and see if anyone is selling tickets to the nyce club (or whatever its called). that's a lot of fun.

Then I'd watch the game as you normally do. I mean, unless they absolutely hate the game they should be there to take it all in. There's a lot of great stuff at Miller Park, but obviously thats what your there for. Hope you all have fun!

I take a group of 3rd grade students every year for a field trip. Plenty of rookies. We watch the game (do some math work that goes with the game), eat a lot, and around the 6-7th inning I usually chaperone a group of kids down to the fun area/shops as they are baseball'd out at that point since many have never seen a game/don't care for it as much as I do.

The first thing I would do is to have these people reported for treason.

Then have them beg to be pardoned by jjkoestler. 4 beers a piece should do it.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Verified Member

I guess it depends what they're all about. Do they want to learn about baseball? Do they just want to yell? Do they want to see some history? Do they want to eat? Do they just want to get drunk?

I've taken a bunch of "rookies" to MP over the years. I've been to hundreds of games so I'm past the point of needing to be in my seat for every pitch. Don't get me wrong...that's what I'd ultimately like but if I can get someone to enjoy baseball on any level, I'll go with that. I assume you've been to a bushel of games so I say you offer them the options and go with it. It may not be you're ultimate night at MP but try and remember the first time you were there.

I love taking people there for the first time. Reminds me of going anywhere with my nieces and nephews. Only difference is, when they point at something and say "What's that?!?", I have an answer. Have fun and update us on how it goes.

Community Moderator

As others have mentioned, it's not really going to be about the game but more about the experience. Don't worry about trying to sell the game to them, one game isn't going to turn them into baseball fans. Sometimes people who are not baseball fans appreciate the ability to converse during the game, so although it is difficult, don't expect to watch too much of the game yourself and concentrate on whatever they feel like doing or discussing instead.

I made the mistake of trying to get my wife to watch the game a few times. She had the most fun when the Brewers were getting blown out because we walked around the stadium, tried different food options, and didn't really pay any attention to the field.

I just found out that our tickets are in sec 114, row 6. Are these front row seats behind the Brewers dugout?

Perfect. So two women who have no interest in baseball will have better seats than I'll ever have in my life. This season just keeps getting better.

Archived