Brewer Fanatic

Elvis Andrus, 8 years, 120 million

splitterpfj

It seems as though the new rules are having an impact on Lord Boras. Would it be, could it be, Mr Scott isn't so hell-bent on taking every possible player to free agency?

When Carlos Gomez signed an extension with Milwaukee, on the eve of his contract year, it made me stop and think. I don't ever remember a Boras client doing that.

The Yankees and Robinson Cano continue to negotiate a new deal, whether it happens remains to be seen, but the conversation continues, and tonight, Ken Rosenthal reports a new deal is close for Elvis Andrus in Texas. The number he floated is 8 years/120 million.

On the heels of both Michael Bourn and Kyle Lohse getting less money than anyone thought they would, I believe Mr Boras is recognizing a changing of the times.

Good.

I am kind of liking the new Boras with the new CBA. He does seem to have a good working relationship with Mark and Doug. I recall the poster who mentioned sleeping with the devil and feeling dirty. But, did we really get a number 1/2 starter for $11 mill a year! Is Milwaukee Boras's 'go to team'.

We certainly paid our dues... e.g. Gagne at $10 mill 'just because we loved Scott'.

Is it true, maybe, that draft picks and prospects are now over valued. And the Boras, qualifying offer, free agent is the new Money Ball bargain.

That all said (a bit off topic) Lohse did say it was weird St Louis did not even try. And he would say more later on this... maybe. I kind of like the fire implied by that.

Is it possible that Doug and Mark have moved to the positon of saying to Boras 'who's your daddy?' I can really, really see in future drafts where the Crew may even SKIP a pick to have the money to pick up a Scotty shunned client in a later round. I mean maybe Boras has a $2 mill prospect that he tells ALL will only sign if a first round pick. So he does not get picked. So, of course, no one will pick him in round 2. There is not slot money to pay. So the Crew can pick him in round 2, say, and offer 1 mill. And say 'Scott, my friend, we are here to help. The slot is only 500k, but we will double. Just say 'yes' to Daddy'.

I pick round two because I think if you dont sign round 2 you get a comp pick next year. Am I right? What about round three? I can surely see Mr Scott becoming an asset for us.

But, did we really get a number 1/2 starter for $11 mill a year!

No, we got a 3 or 4, or possibly even a 5.

As for Boras, I agree with however said Gomez signed because of Ellsbury. This past offseason he had quite a few high profile free agents and all of them being out there at the same time drove down the price and made his job harder.

So....after seeing Profar play on Saturday....it would be awesome to have him in a Brewer uni. What would it take to get him?

I doubt the Brewers have what it would take to get him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's packaged to get Giancarlo Stanton at some point now.

Seems like kind of an overpay but Andrus won't be 25 till August. He still has time to develop some more power. If he does, when you factor in the size of the Rangers payroll and inflation by the end of the contract it is probably about right. Also, Elvis can opt out after 4 years. If he's healthy he probably does.

So....after seeing Profar play on Saturday....it would be awesome to have him in a Brewer uni. What would it take to get him?

Braun or Gallardo +.

Braun would be way too much. Gallardo would make sense though as a starting point. I think you underestimate how team friendly Braun's deal is and how likely Profar is to be a star.

It's not a matter of what you think, it's a matter of what Rangers management thinks and they aren't going to let him go for anything less.

Actually, not true. Take Braun out of this equation here, because it will never happen. Now if you included Gallardo or even a number 2 pitcher as the main piece of the trade or another top hitter on the team, and then threw in a bunch of high potential average players with hardly any service time, it would net him. It's not really a quantity over quality type of trade, but rather a quantity mix type of trade. That would do it.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

It's not a matter of what you think, it's a matter of what Rangers management thinks and they aren't going to let him go for anything less.

Actually, not true. Take Braun out of this equation here, because it will never happen. Now if you included Gallardo or even a number 2 pitcher as the main piece of the trade or another top hitter on the team, and then threw in a bunch of high potential average players with hardly any service time, it would net him. It's not really a quantity over quality type of trade, but rather a quantity mix type of trade. That would do it.

So you substitute an opinion as fact but claim that trwi7's assertion that the opinion of the relevant parties is really all that matters is not true? How does that make sense?

Many of you are missing the point, it's not about what we as Brewers fan feel a particular player's value is worth, it's what Jon Daniels thinks that Andrus/Profar is worth that matters which was the original point quoted above. If you're Daniels and looking to trade one of the best young SS in the game your starting point is going to be equal physical talent, and most likely multiple impact prospects, like 2-3 top 100 prospects. A quantity deal isn't going to get it done with the better GMs in the game, that's just not how they operate. Daniels wouldn't give up his top prospects for a couple of months of Greinke, he's no fool. The Brewers don't have the impact minor league prospects to trade so you're talking about trying to get equal value for 8 years of Andrus or 7-8 years of MLB's top prospect Profar's service time from a MLB Brewer, the only player with the contract length/production that fits the bill as of today is Braun. Gallardo isn't under control long enough (though Texas could extend/resign him) and Lucroy isn't good enough... Texas isn't going to be looking to acquire Hart and Weeks type players.

I agree that the Brewers wouldn't ever be motivated to trade Braun, but Braun would be enough to maybe snake Andrus/Profar and a top pitching prospect which would make sense from a Brewer perspective. The contracts will even out and the Brewers shore up their middle IF for at least the next 5 years plus add an impact arm. However pulling Braun out of the mix basically leaves a starting point of Gallardo but then we're sending Gallardo, Thornburg, + whichever of our A ball hitters Texas wants (Roach, Arcia, Coulter, Taylor). That's the type of deal Daniels would be looking for, he wants impact potential in his trades... look at what he got for Teixeira and then look at how the Brewers match up with that haul.

Furthermore while the Andrus contract is a tad excessive it is still movable in the future, that contract won't be a deal breaker. The contract doesn't hurt Andrus' trade value at all, in fact the contract actually preserves his value by setting the cost and years for a team that would be looking to acquire him and expires right in his mid 30s, it's a shrewd move. Thinking slightly out of the box the Rangers could move Beltre to the DH, Kinsler to 3B, and have a middle IF of Andrus and Profar if they so choose. Or Kinsler to DH... or whatever they want... The point here is that Rangers now have flexibility in terms of cost and talent, all 4 of those guys are signed for at least the next 3 years, none has a horrible contract, and all are tradable given the right situation.

People really need to quit looking at just $/years vs production, there are many more angles than that to account for in these types of scenarios. How much differently would the whole Hardy situation have played out if he was extended at age 25 with a contract that bought out some of his FA years? That stupid demotion would have never happened and he would have been extremely attractive to suitors following his 2009 campaign with 3-4 years of service time remaining and Escobar in AAA behind him. The Brewers would have had many more options than trying to snake an extra year of service time in 2010 to try and get some of Hardy's value back prior to a trade. 2010 wouldn't have had to be Hardy's make or break year, the Brewers would have more options than that. They could have created a trade package around Escobar for a younger pitcher with 3 or more years of team control left instead of signing the parade of aging averagish veteran pitchers we've had come through Milwaukee in recent history or trading for Marcum/Greinke which left us without pitching again for 2013.

TX has a plethora of options at their disposal moving forward, I wish the Brewers would have ever been in that position. It always seems like we're backed into a corner limited to a couple of obvious trades/FA signings or nothing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Profar isn't going anywhere. Kinsler will move to 1B or LF. Profar will start at 2B, which isn't ideal but at least he'll be playing. Then Olt will start at 1B. Either that or Olt will DH until Beltre can't field anymore and Kinsler will play 1B. Personally, I would've traded Andrus for a big return, put Profar at SS, and been done with it. Seems like wasted money and wasted value of Profar to me. It's not like Profar isn't also a great defensive SS or something, in which case it would've made more sense to play him at 2B and keep Andrus.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Soup Town, we did not get a 1/2 starter for $11 million. We got a 3/4 starter for that money. I expect a regression to the mean because of his age and past ineffectiveness

You are being silly if you put any stock into what he did before 2010, he had a completely different repertoire at that point. Having said that his peripherals suggest he is more of a #3 starter so that is probably what we will get, something like a 3.70-4.00 ERA.

It seems as though the new rules are having an impact on Lord Boras. Would it be, could it be, Mr Scott isn't so hell-bent on taking every possible player to free agency?

When Carlos Gomez signed an extension with Milwaukee, on the eve of his contract year, it made me stop and think. I don't ever remember a Boras client doing that.

The Yankees and Robinson Cano continue to negotiate a new deal, whether it happens remains to be seen, but the conversation continues, and tonight, Ken Rosenthal reports a new deal is close for Elvis Andrus in Texas. The number he floated is 8 years/120 million.

On the heels of both Michael Bourn and Kyle Lohse getting less money than anyone thought they would, I believe Mr Boras is recognizing a changing of the times.

Good.

Cano just dropped Boras for Jay-Z. Well Jay-Z's new collaboration with CAA. I wonder if this change was fallout from this off-season.

Archived