Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-01 Rockies (Chacin) at Brewers (Gallardo), 1:10 PM CDT [OPENING DAY! Brewers win, 5-4, 10 innings]

Gallardo got hit around and didn't look all htat good but was lucky to limit the damage.

Gonzalez is so slow. I can't believe he got thrown out at 2B.

Gomez, how can you get picked off there?

Weeks, that was a really bad baserunning blunder. Overall F for the team today running the bases.

Our bench sucks. A pitcher shouldn't hit for themselves then get pulled from the game. It will start looking better when the drop the extra pitcher, Hart comes back, Green comes back and Yuni gets dropped.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Great opener today, and it's finally baseball season! A couple of impressions from game #1/162...

1) I thought Rickie looked more comfortable swinging the bat. Obviously getting thrown out by 15 feet at 2nd in the 6th was inexcusable, but I am hopeful he can return to pre-injury form.

2) Aoki is so fun to watch. He got completely hosed on that called strike two call in the 10th. I think he will be a tough out at the top of the lineup this year.

3) I was really impressed with Henderson getting ahead 0-2 on both CarGo and Tulo. More of that could be the recipe for success this year.

Pumped tonight, can't wait for game #2!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I thought for sure Gomez yolked it in the bottom of the 9th. It sounded good coming off his bat, and I think he even thought he got it with the way he flipped the bat.

It was an exciting game and a wonderful comeback.

A couple of balls just died out there today. Braun hit a foul ball that wasn't, and I was a bit shocked to see it stay in fair territory.

And ya, I thought Go Go's was out.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

We absolutely stole one from the Rockies today. They couldn't buy a hit when they had RISP except for the hit that turned into the silly out by Nelson. That was a huge miscue. Yes, it was a valiant effort and comeback, but if we were on the other side of this, we'd be furious. I think this Rockies team is severely underrated. Chacin, De La Rosa and Nicasio is a solid 1-3 and they have some solid bats and great gloves. If we take 2 of 3 in this series, I'll be pleased. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, but I think they will end up around 78-84 wins. I'm excited to find out tomorrow how Estrada looks. There is a lot riding on whether or not he is a legit MLB starter. I'm so glad baseball is back.
Formerly Andersoc420

Our bench sucks. A pitcher shouldn't hit for themselves then get pulled from the game.

Yo didn't hit because the bench sucks (I mean, it might, but that wasn't the reason). He hit because the bench was short and RR didn't want to burn a hitter in that situation.

Also, most teams don't have particularly strong benches. If the guys on the bench were good enough, they'd be starters.

nice win. Too bad a parent at school blew the outcome for me 10 minutes before I was to head home.

Couple things of note for me:

1) I'm not a fan of the always-on bottom line of scores. It was very distracting having scores scrolling for the entire game. I hope they go back to the old way of just bringing it up a couple times an hour.

2) The interview with Martin Maldonado's mother sounded like they were talking to one of Marge Simpson's sisters. What a voice!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

2) The interview with Martin Maldonado's mother sounded like they were talking to one of Marge Simpson's sisters. What a voice!

Looked like it too.

*Ducks*

I'm going to have nightmares.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

1) I'm not a fan of the always-on bottom line of scores. It was very distracting having scores scrolling for the entire game. I hope they go back to the old way of just bringing it up a couple times an hour.

Im with you on this. I expect that kind of thing on MLB Network or ESPN but not so much on a regional feed.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

I can't tell you how pissed off I was in the stands today when Weeks was thrown out at second today. Absolutely inexcusable. Had we lost I would have been more mad.

You can't try to get into scoring position with your MVP on deck down two. It's not even hard baseball and Rickie should know that.

I agree that players need to consider context when determining how much risk to take on the basepaths. That said, they can't ever assume NO risk. Mistakes can and will happen in all situations. Weeks is generally a good base runner, so I can excuse him when he makes the occasional mistake. It's the base runners who constantly make mistakes but never learn from them that drives me crazy.

Ugh. I see they kept Jerry Garcia around for the "tailgate tips"

I didn't see any TV yesterday. PLEASE tell me he made brats. Or maybe brat patties. ;)

A few other comments, following up on some made in this thread:

Mr. Attanasio's talk-singing is what it is, I figure. At least it's a straightforward delivery and not all American-Idol-ized (not that I want the IGT to take that tangent). I wonder if there's anyone in the Brewers' fanbase anymore who doesn't know he was in Quiz Show and Gideon's Crossing.

I heard a small amount of "oo" noise when Yuni was introduced. I could not tell for sure that they were boos instead of Yuuuuu.

You could call this "Opening Day Yovani," but the 20 pitches per inning are kind of normal for him, and facing Colorado has never been his strongest suit.

Obviously a birthday save for Ax would have been ideal, but overall this small sample of the bullpen was encouraging to me.

1-0 on the hawing ticket! And hooray for the roof. Best of all, baseball is back. It's like my favorite utility that is turned on in April and humming along until October.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Our bench sucks. A pitcher shouldn't hit for themselves then get pulled from the game.

Yo didn't hit because the bench sucks (I mean, it might, but that wasn't the reason). He hit because the bench was short and RR didn't want to burn a hitter in that situation.

Also, most teams don't have particularly strong benches. If the guys on the bench were good enough, they'd be starters.

Exactly. There were two outs. I wouldn't burn a bench guy either. Plus Gallardo at least used to be someone that could hit a mistake.

I thought Ax looked good. He hit his first to k's exactly where Luc was setup. He missed bad on the HR but I guess he is the type of guy who will do that at times. I hope we see more of the better Ax but he will always make me nervous.

Crazy game for the opener and I agree, we did steal this one. Can't wait for game two!

Archived