Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez's patience

prophet
Imagine what his price tag would be had he not signed the extension? I was thrilled when the Brewers locked him up because I thought it was a bargain, but even I am amazed. Boras has to be kicking himself too.

Ha, ya. First time ever Boras had his client sign for under value.

Actually, Carlos Gonzalez signed his huge deal with the Rockies before hitting free agency, though I believe that was sort of behind Boras' back.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am torn on the idea of trading him. I wouldn't move him for anything less than a pitcher with ace potential ... Just trading him for some guys isn't worth it. He is a top 5 CF in baseball.

Right now Carlos Gomez is #1 in all of MLB in WAR, regardless of position, pitchers or position players.

I am torn on the idea of trading him. I wouldn't move him for anything less than a pitcher with ace potential ... Just trading him for some guys isn't worth it. He is a top 5 CF in baseball.

Right now Carlos Gomez is #1 in all of MLB in WAR, regardless of position, pitchers or position players.

I just said top 5 because I can't say he is better than McCutch or Trout ... So I just said top 5. But you are right, he does lead the league in WAR

I am curious as to how many times over recent history a player has put up 20 triples and 20 homeruns. I went to: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hitrip4.shtml

This showed me the yearly triples leader by league. I then looked up how many homeruns a person had if they had over 20 triples. Over the past 60ish years, here is all I could find who accomplished this.

Name/Year/Triples/HR's

Jimmy Rollins 2007 20 30

Curtis Granderson 2007 23 23

George Brett 1979 20 23

I am curious as to how many times over recent history a player has put up 20 triples and 20 homeruns. I went to: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hitrip4.shtml

This showed me the yearly triples leader by league. I then looked up how many homeruns a person had if they had over 20 triples. Over the past 60ish years, here is all I could find who accomplished this.

Name/Year/Triples/HR's

Jimmy Rollins 2007 20 30

George Brett 1979 20 23

I would have never guessed George Brett on that one. I was a kid when he played and remember watching him but just didn't recall he had that speed early in his career, I guess I remember him from about 81 on when his SB's fell off. He actually led the league in triples 3 times.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This thread will be annoying.

Actually it has become a very interesting read in hindsight along with http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=28660 which revolved around the expectations we had of Gomez around this time last year. He has certainly proved plenty of people wrong this year.

Agreed. It's much easier to read now that he's had some success.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"If you had told me in the offseason that Carlos Gomez would be leading MLB in WAR on June 13 I would not have believe you."

Andy Understatement

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Name/Year/Triples/HR's

Jimmy Rollins 2007 20 30

George Brett 1979 20 23

I would have never guessed George Brett on that one. I was a kid when he played and remember watching him but just didn't recall he had that speed early in his career, I guess I remember him from about 81 on when his SB's fell off. He actually led the league in triples 3 times.

KC with the AstroTurf and huge field was a triples paradise. From 79-81, it's park factor for triples *averaged* ~180. (ie: KC gave up 80% more triples than the average ballpark)

http://www.seamheads.com/ballparks/year.php?Year=1981&tab=pf1

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The way his hitting mechanics look (overswinging sometimes, pulling his head) it may be difficult for him to sustain his present pace, but there is no arguing with his results.

The difference between Gomez & hitters who are elite year in and year out (such as Miguel Cabrera, Robinson Cano, Buster Posey) is that they are extremely consistent with their mechanics and extremely balanced, whereas Gomez is just all over the place.

That said, Gomez is one of my favorite baseball players and I'm thrilled with the way he's playing.

The aspect which gives me hope that Carlos has really turned the corner as a hitter is how often he now hits the ball from center to right field instead of being mostly just a pull hitter when he was struggling yearly to post an OPS of .700 or better. Just look at the recent Miami series for example. He hit three triples and all went to right field. That never would have happened two years ago.

I'm not expecting him to continuing being a .900 plus OPS hitter over the next three years, but i am convinced that his days of being a sub-.700 OPS hitter are also over.

His pitches per plate appearance is still up over 3.75 (last year iirc it was around 3.35). 3.75 per PA is a pretty good indication that you're working consistently good PAs -- 3.75 was Ryan Braun's avg. in 2012.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have nothing to back this up, but from seeing Carlos this year, it just seems that he's laying off crappy pitches more. He's still aggressive - going after anything that's close - but he's just recognizing the pitches a little better. As TooLive noted, he's seeing more pitches than ever. That's great. It's not really translating into more walks. It just means he's swinging at better pitches. It's fun to watch him.

Name/Year/Triples/HR's

Jimmy Rollins 2007 20 30

George Brett 1979 20 23

Only 4 others since 1901:

1957 Mays NYG

1941 Jeff Heath CLE

1928 Jim Bottomley StL

1911 Wildfire Schulte CHC

All the swing stuff looks the same as last year. He is having more balls fall in though. He is making a little better contact. His LD% is up 2% while his FB% is down 2%. His INFB% is way down. 6.8% this year. It looks like he is maybe getting a little lucky this year but was really unlucky last year. BABIP .296 last year and .376 this year. If I had to guess(and I do since I don't know where the xBABIP tool I had is) I would say Gomez should have been around .320 last year and .350 this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He may have gotten a little better eye at the plate, probably because he's not trying to pull every single pitch out of the park, but he still swings at some incredibly stupid pitches. At least a couple times every week he swings at a pitch that he has to dive out of the way of because it might hit him.

Archived