Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez's patience

prophet
Did anyone see GoGo leading the team in walks this preseason? If he has finally learned some patience at the plate, he is going to be dangerous this year. I don't want to get to hyped, but I have been drooling to see a Carlos Gomez with patience and discipline. Especially considering that every walk could easily turn into a double.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is probably a good sign that he is consciously working on his plate discipline. That doesn't mean it will carry over into the regular season though. Last year as an example Liriano was striking everyone out and not walking anyone and it hit regular season and he still stunk.

I can only hope that what a guy does in spring training (re attitude to at bats) does indeed follow into the season. I guess in game one for Carlos to draw two walks and NOT hit a home run, will be positive reinforcement. The guy has the talent to be elite. The contract is a great win-win (for him and the Brewers).

Did anyone see GoGo leading the team in walks this preseason? If he has finally learned some patience at the plate, he is going to be dangerous this year. I don't want to get to hyped, but I have been drooling to see a Carlos Gomez with patience and discipline. Especially considering that every walk could easily turn into a double.

I really hope that he is learning some discipline. I also hope it doesn't adversely affect the rest of his game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He just turned 27, so maybe he's finally putting it all together. I'm not going to get my hopes up until the regular season starts. I mean, Yuni Betancourt had a pretty nice spring training but I don't think any of us are expecting him to have a monster season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really hope that he is learning some discipline. I also hope it doesn't adversely affect the rest of his game.

In 04 and 05 Brady Clark attacked first pitch fastballs with a vengence and became a .300 hitter. It was suggested he needed to walk more as a leadoff hitter and he started taking more pitches in 06, and was never the same guy.

I would take the Carlos Gomez of last year in the 7th spot in the order. If he can get on at a little higher pace and still hit 20-25 HR and knock in 80 or so runs, great. What does worry me a bit is taking more pitches might lead to more K's as well as BB's.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gomez was quoted earlier this spring that he needed to get on base more often and be more selective at the plate.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Carlos Gomez career OBP minus BA:

2007 .056

2008 .038

2009 .058

2010 .051

2011 .051

2012 .045

2013 ST .138

As I mentioned in a different post, some guys learn patience later in their careers than others, and some never learn it at all. If this spring is a sign of things to come with Carlos, we should all be pleasantly surprised. I for one am not holding my breath.

Gomez was quoted earlier this spring that he needed to get on base more often and be more selective at the plate.

Two years ago he mentioned trying to get his OBP up to .350. You hear that kind of stuff all the time when guys have a huge deficiency in a part of their game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree that most players talk up their deficiencies during spring training and Gomez has certainly talked about raising his OBP for a few years now, but if you actually look at his stats maybe something is starting to click with him.

2011 spring training--1 walk in 63 at bats

2012 spring training--1 walk in 69 at bats

2013 spring training--9 walks in 41 at bats

Keep in mind he also had his highest career OBP last season. Now I fully don't expect to see him with that .350 OBP he had talked about in the past, but even an increase to .320 would be great as long is it doesn't lead to a big decline in power.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

In 04 and 05 Brady Clark attacked first pitch fastballs with a vengence and became a .300 hitter. It was suggested he needed to walk more as a leadoff hitter and he started taking more pitches in 06, and was never the same guy.

I would take the Carlos Gomez of last year in the 7th spot in the order. If he can get on at a little higher pace and still hit 20-25 HR and knock in 80 or so runs, great. What does worry me a bit is taking more pitches might lead to more K's as well as BB's.

1) Nobody said that.

2) He walked more in 2004 than 2006. Clark became a valuable player due to him increasing his walk rate.

3) He turned 33 in 2006.

Yuni Betancourt had a pretty nice spring training but I don't think any of us are expecting him to have a monster season.

I am!

Oh, wait, I'm 7 hours and 15 minutes early for April Fools Day!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Well he did hire a former MiLB teammate this offseason & had him throw pitches to him. Gómez didn't swing at anything there iirc, just watched pitches to work on his pitch recognition.

Still, I'll believe it when I see it. But there's reason to believe he may have improved his pitch recognition beyond just ST randomness.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This thread comes up every spring since gomez joined the brewers, then carlos has a HR in one of the first games, he enjoys the emotions of trotting the bases, and everything crumbles to dust.

I have never once seen Carlos Gomez "trot" the bases.

This thread comes up every spring since gomez joined the brewers, then carlos has a HR in one of the first games, he enjoys the emotions of trotting the bases, and everything crumbles to dust.

Yeah, full speed ahead!

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I have, and we posted the video of it on the minor league forum. He showed up an A-Ball pitcher, did his bat flip and everything, then got into it with the opposing coaches after the game. Watching it in a person I missed the bat flip (saw that on the video later), I was watching the ball, but I did notice how he was moving around the bases, and he did pick-up the pace once he got past 2B. He then continued more antics in the dugout... for goodness sake you are a MLB player hitting a HR off of a kid in his first full season of professional baseball, congrats for finally doing something worthwhile at that level I guess.

McMahan or someone got beaned immediately following, I'm not certain anymore who the player was that got beaned and I'm not going to look it up, but that incident on his rehab assignment last year cemented my opinion of the guy. Carlos had looked horrible at every AB in that game (and in the previous T-Rat games he appeared in) until the pitcher hung some kind of breaking pitch waist high down the middle of the plate and he hit the game winning HR, the way Carlos reacted like he had won the WS rubbed me completely the wrong way. I wasn't much of a Gomez fan before that and after watching his performance on a rehab assignment I'm just not a Gomez fan at all and I'll leave my comments at that.

My intention isn't to hijack the thread into a discussion about what's right and wrong following a HR, but given the level of competition I thought everything Gomez did was completely inappropriate for the level of play.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived