Brewer Fanatic

No BYOP for Opening Day

mtrebs
This situation has existed ever since Miller Park was built. At least County had bathrooms accessible from the outside. As I stated earlier, I believe there is a reason besides cheapness/incompetence for this... could be that they want to drive people into the stadium earlier, or perhaps some social engineer told them that by limiting the bathrooms, somehow people will drink less.

Like someone said here or at jsonline, the suits need to come down from their luxurious palace digs and take a few laps around the parking lot and see what goes on.

This comment needs to be amended slightly. The suits need to come down from their luxurious palace digs when they have to go to the bathroom and take a few laps around the parking lot and see what goes on while they wait in line for a porta-potty.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The port o potty situation is a disaster. In my opinion it is always bad but it is flat out unacceptable on opening day. Its a super common complaint that the Brewers refuse to even acknowledge let alone address. As others have pointed out, the organization could deal with this without any major expense or loss in revenue. It baffles me that they haven't addressed this issue.

I frequently find myself just taking a knee next to the car which is not ideal from a public decency or sanitation perspective.

Have been challenged to say the least during playoff games, and it's sad the issue still hasn't been addressed. I admire the creativity here...have always used Gatorade bottles in the car, but they fill up quick and the chances of splatter are high to use outside of an emergency.

Whenever I go golfing and I really need to go to the bathroom I just adapt and take a walk in the woods and go, because I'm sure as heck not going all the way back to the club house. Bring a few bottles with you, take a deep breath, relax and go.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't people just hold it until they get inside like an adult?

"Maybe I should just go anytime I get the urge like you...wherever I am. There's too much urinary freedom in this society. I'm proud to hold it in. It builds character. "

they ran a story on this on cbs 58 on Friday night. they showed me and some friends tailgating from last year during it. i've been trying to find the link to the story on their webpage but cant.

if someone who knows more about using a search engine or archiving than i do wants to find this for me, that'd rule.

bacon, have you ever realized you had to go, but then once you REALLY have to go you have to wait around for 20-30 minutes before you can?

A) it's terribly hard to do

B) it's terribly unhealthy

I just drove back and forth to Denver from Northeast Wisconsin with no accidents. On the road or otherwise. Intake your liquids according to your surroundings. I'd rather wait than use a port-a-potty. I don't think kidneys can explode like Grandpa Simpson's, but then again, I'm no doctor.

Same laughably inadequate amounts of Porta Potties and 30 plus minute lines, depending on where you were, as always. We were in the east lot. I saw a line like 8 deep right when we were pulling in at 9:30. I went to the Sausage Haus bathrooms because I had to drop a deuce (not allowed in our Brew Loo) around 11:30 and there was a huge line and the paper towel dispensers didn't work. Two here and four there doesn't cut it. And then to tell everyone like 3 days beore that they can't bring their own? Absurd. Because I'm sure nobody rented one ahead of time. There were still plenty there that I saw. Just another idle threat ala you can't get into the parking lot without a ticket on Opening Day one or the everyone has to be out of the lot one hour after the game. Even Leff's when they did their Opening Day tailgate had like 30 of 'em just for their private party. Yeah, it's only one game but with that many people in one spot, come on. Like go to like Jazz in the Park or Summerfest or whatever and there are long rows of Porta Potties, not a couple placed here and there hundreds of yards apart.

It's good to know that its the start of another year and they have done nothing to address the problems. I'm assuming the MPD has advised the Brewers of how many people head up to hill to relieve themselves years ago and apparently still nothing has been done except to say we won't fix the problem and oh yeah you can't bring your own.

bacon, have you ever realized you had to go, but then once you REALLY have to go you have to wait around for 20-30 minutes before you can?

A) it's terribly hard to do

B) it's terribly unhealthy

I just drove back and forth to Denver from Northeast Wisconsin with no accidents. On the road or otherwise. Intake your liquids according to your surroundings. I'd rather wait than use a port-a-potty. I don't think kidneys can explode like Grandpa Simpson's, but then again, I'm no doctor.

Thank you oh great one for your wise wisdom. I hope you give us more thoughts on how to wipe ourselves without getting it on our fingers, and how to handle conversations with other human beings in the future.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Thank you oh great one for your wise wisdom. I hope you give us more thoughts on how to wipe ourselves without getting it on our fingers, and how to handle conversations with other human beings in the future.

Hey, I thought it was obvious too yet here is this thread.

Do the Brewers even own the lots? I seem to remember in previous threads complaining about the price of parking it was found that they don't.

If the Brewers can profit from development around Miller Park should they decide to do so, then they can make money on the parking. They have say.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

How was the situation today for those who tailgated?

The Molitor lot, which always had a maximum of 8 port-a-johns, did have at least 16 this year. Because of this we decided not to use our bucket and try out the lines. Most of the lines were still 30+ people deep. The one time I needed to go I went to the line at the farthest end of the lot where there wasn't as many people and I still waited around 20 minutes. There were still some very long lines that I bet still took 40 minutes or so to get through.

It was an improvement from prior years. It's nice to see that the Brewers finally attempted to do something about this problem, but they could still double the number of toilets out there and not have too many.

We were parked on the edge of the preferred lot in front. We were relatively close to a couple of the porta facilities along the edge of the lot. I only had to use them once, and only have about six or seven people in front of me in line. No issues.

I also found the crowd was pretty well behaved overall. Maybe the cold weather cut down on some of the rowdiness seen in past years.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We used our tents/buckets without any issues. I know some of you think it's gross, and that's fine, but I don't appreciate being told to "control my beverage intake based on the situation". I shouldn't have to worry about planning out when I need to be because the lines are 45 minutes long. 45 minutes in a bathroom line is not how I want to spend my time in the lots before the games.

Having a tent/bucket that we keep sanitary shouldn't really bother any of you. It's not like we're dumping it out onto other cars or just peeing in the parking lot. The Brewers won't address the situation (16 is still not nearly enough in that lot) so we handled it ourselves and I don't really see whats wrong with that.

Milwaukee County owns all of the Miller Park property. It's leased to the Brewers, and the team can do basically what it pleases with it, including building structures.

I don't recall for sure, but I think the Brewers may contract with another company to handle the parking of cars. That wouldn't necessarily put the price of parking out of the team's control, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/milwaukee-brewers-portable-potty-ban-doesnt-raise-a-stink-ij9d6ll-201149571.html

"For opening day and other anticipated sellouts, about 100 Waste Management portables dot the parking lot. If even half of the 44,000 fans tailgate, that comes out to 220 people per potty. The number of units is lower for other games, but never below 62, Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes said. That's actually a dramatic improvement; as recently as 2006 the number stood at 16."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/milwaukee-brewers-portable-potty-ban-doesnt-raise-a-stink-ij9d6ll-201149571.html

"For opening day and other anticipated sellouts, about 100 Waste Management portables dot the parking lot. If even half of the 44,000 fans tailgate, that comes out to 220 people per potty. The number of units is lower for other games, but never below 62, Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes said. That's actually a dramatic improvement; as recently as 2006 the number stood at 16."

Someone earlier in the thread said that you should have one portajohn for every 100 people anticipated at an event. I don't know where that number came from, if it was researched or not, but it sounds reasonable. If thats the case, the Brewers are essentially admitting that they are drastically inadequate, even WITH the extra ones for Opening Day.

I'd also say that at least 30,000-35,000 people if not more are in the lots on Opening Day, putting it somewhere in the 300-350 to 1 ratio. Which if the 100-1 is what should happen, they are more than 3 times worse than should be expected.

And people wonder why some fans bring their own.

Molitor parking lot was better this year then ever before for Opening Day, though of course there's still tons of room for improvement.

We were in the front row and the Port-o-Johns there were in a row of 4 where in years past it's always just been a pair of them. Looking back in the lot it didn't look like there were any/many more than usual though.

We were in the Molitor lot on Monday as well, toward the front. I started out using first set of port-o-john's against the fence on the freeway entrance side of the lot. At first it was fine. Around 11 it was a good 35-40 people deep. So I walked a little further to use the four that were in the front of the lot. Obviously, it went way faster. I just don't understand why there can't be at least four everywhere on opening day.
Follow me on Twitter

Archived