Brewer Fanatic

No BYOP for Opening Day

mtrebs

They can maybe crack down on the actual Port-a-Potties that people bring in, but I don't see how they are going to stop people with 5 gallon buckets or little tents setup with buckets in them and all that stuff.

And if they are going to enforce this AND charge 15-20 bucks to park there, they should quadruple the number of bathrooms there in the first place.

I agree with the above. The way that they gouge people for parking, they should be able to at least triple the number of porta potties out there on Opening Day. It's ridiculous to have to wait 10 or 15 minutes to take a leak because one huge area of parking has like 6 or 8 available bathrooms.

I didn't know BYOP was a thing.

I guess it makes sense if you're in a big group.

I'm not a tailgater, but as a parent of a kid who can't dance around for 20 minutes, I agree with the need for more restrooms. They should have physical structures built for those in the parking lot, like the buildings at state parks. Porta johns shouldn't be the permanent plan.

We only bring our own on Opening Day, as we're in the lots the longest and it's by far the most crowded day of the year. We just bring a small tent and put a 5 gallon bucket in it, so I'm not worried about it. But I know that a lot of people, most big groups, but some other people too, just bring a portajohn in to use. Often times, people do it just to make money. The lines are so long that people will pay a buck or two or whatever to use a "private" bathroom and not have to wait in line.

what do you do with your 5-gallon bucket at the end of the day? Do you dispose of it? Do you just leave it there? What happens to it? Are you sanitary about it?

I completely understand the need for a bucket in a tent. Just boggles me, though, that you then have to "deal with it" afterward, not knowing what might even be inside said bucket.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

That's disgusting...bring your own potties? I've never seen a line in Miller Park's parking lots to begin with. Not sure why women would need to bring their own. At least I have faith that no men would need to bring their own.

We always park in the Molitor lot, where there are either 6 or maybe a max of 8 total port-a-johns supplied by the Brewers in the entire lot. That's for hundreds if not over 1000 cars. Even if a person isn't out there to get wasted there are definitely enough people that are so when you need to go to the restroom the lines can be 40+ people long. This has taken about an hour of waiting in line to use the restroom which isn't acceptable. We aren't the type of people that want to go relieve ourselves in public on the side of the hill or behind a car so we started bringing a bucket with cat litter in it and used it in the back of an SUV. We recently upgraded to a camping shower stall so that it's completely enclosed and it makes our tailgating experience much better not having to sit in pain waiting to use one of the few restroom facilities.

Many years ago I wrote Wendy Selig-Prieb about this issue on Opening Day and their lack of sufficient restroom facilities on Opening Day. To no surprise I never heard a response. If the Brewers are going to start restricting this then they really should provide enough facilities for their customers.

Oh, and for how we dispose the bucket...we fill it full of the cat litter so there is no running liquids in it. The buckets have a lid that snaps on and then we throw it out in a dumpster. Not really any different than how I dispose of my cat's waste, just on a larger scale.

We always park in the Molitor lot, where there are either 6 or maybe a max of 8 total port-a-johns supplied by the Brewers in the entire lot. That's for hundreds if not over 1000 cars. Even if a person isn't out there to get wasted there are definitely enough people that are so when you need to go to the restroom the lines can be 40+ people long. This has taken about an hour of waiting in line to use the restroom which isn't acceptable. We aren't the type of people that want to go relieve ourselves in public on the side of the hill or behind a car so we started bringing a bucket with cat litter in it and used it in the back of an SUV. We recently upgraded to a camping shower stall so that it's completely enclosed and it makes our tailgating experience much better not having to sit in pain waiting to use one of the few restroom facilities.

Many years ago I wrote Wendy Selig-Prieb about this issue on Opening Day and their lack of sufficient restroom facilities on Opening Day. To no surprise I never heard a response. If the Brewers are going to start restricting this then they really should provide enough facilities for their customers.

Oh, and for how we dispose the bucket...we fill it full of the cat litter so there is no running liquids in it. The buckets have a lid that snaps on and then we throw it out in a dumpster. Not really any different than how I dispose of my cat's waste, just on a larger scale.

This is almost exactly what we do. I'm not sure where people are that there aren't substantial lines for bathrooms, but we're always in the Bluemound lot and the above scenario is exactly correct. Hence why we starting bringing our own, we also have a portable shower stall, so it's not like people are just being randomly into a bucket.

I haven't heard of the kitty litter though, that's an interesting idea. How much do you put in a bucket? And how many times can the bucket be used with the litter in it before you throw it out (how many people can go before it needs to be replaced)?

My theory on this is that they want to drive people into the stadium to buy their beer inside- though the situation is not much better in there, maybe worse for the women. Honestly, for an organization such as the Brewers, how much would it cost them to rent a few hundred extra porta-potties for the day? I've been to small local festivals where the portajohn situation is much better. I don't want to hear the loss of parking spots excuse either, because there are plenty of grass medians to locate these and you can probably get six to a spot.

This is almost exactly what we do. I'm not sure where people are that there aren't substantial lines for bathrooms, but we're always in the Bluemound lot and the above scenario is exactly correct. Hence why we starting bringing our own, we also have a portable shower stall, so it's not like people are just being randomly into a bucket.

I haven't heard of the kitty litter though, that's an interesting idea. How much do you put in a bucket? And how many times can the bucket be used with the litter in it before you throw it out (how many people can go before it needs to be replaced)?

The most important thing is to get non-clumping cat litter. We just poured in a couple of inches to start and as it filled up we added more. When we went into the stadium the bucket was pretty full, but we had 8 to 10 people using it. The bucket should only be used once since who wants to haul around a dirty bucket like that. You can pick them up at Menards or Fleet Farm for like $3-$5...definitely worth it. Oh, and bring hand-sanitizer too.

From the past two opening days my single biggest complaint has been the inadequate supply of portable restrooms. The rule of thumb when people are gathering for more than 2 hours is 1 unit per 100 people. Obviously there are some permanent facilities as well, but the total number of restroom facilities falls well below the demand. The lines are certainly an inconvenience, but the worst part has been that several of the units fill up with waste and are "out of commission" which just compounds the problem. If you now eliminate the people that are willing to bring in their own restroom units, there is the potential for an even bigger problem to an already poorly managed issue. By the way, the Brewers cost for units is probably around $40 per unit (per service), so less than the cost of two parking spots on opening day.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

People whiz into a bucket of cat litter?!?

C'mon.

Seriously, is this a newer version of WOAH SOLVDD, where it was really just some kind of inside joke that I never got?

How is this stuff happening all around me and I'm clueless to the fact?

Oh my gosh... This thread is getting hilarious.

I hear Fresh Step cat litter crystals is the way to go. It costs a few dollars more, but worth it in the end.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I admire the creativity and craftsmanship of your device.

I am equally horrified at the thought of cleaning out the contents of your device when you get home.

How do you prevent it from sloshing around? What do you do with it when you go into the stadium? Isn't standing in line at the Porta-john less of a hassle than dealing with transporting human waste?

Do you do your business in an RV? In a tent?

I'm not a complete Felix Unger on this. I go camping every year, and have done my business in pit toilets before, and in campers, too. I've cleaned up dog crap and cat litter boxes, I've changed thousands of diapers.

But with an RV, there is a sanitary station, where you empty the contents, and flush the tank with water. There are chemicals in those porta-johns to address the odor.

I can't imagine any situation where I would not rather walk across the parking lot and wait in line vs. lifting the lid of that top, doing my thing, and then dealing with it after the fact.

I'm glad it works for you. But I will be one of the schmoes standing in line, waiting for the little red wheel to turn from red to green.

i really hope that they figured out they need more than 6 toilets per parking section this year...i always go to the brat house, the line is long for that too, but there is also 20+ urinals/stalls to choose from so it goes relatively quick.

I am equally horrified at the thought of cleaning out the contents of your device when you get home.

How do you prevent it from sloshing around? What do you do with it when you go into the stadium? Isn't standing in line at the Porta-john less of a hassle than dealing with transporting human waste?

Do you do your business in an RV? In a tent?

I'm not a complete Felix Unger on this. I go camping every year, and have done my business in pit toilets before, and in campers, too. I've cleaned up dog crap and cat litter boxes, I've changed thousands of diapers.

But with an RV, there is a sanitary station, where you empty the contents, and flush the tank with water. There are chemicals in those porta-johns to address the odor.

There's nothing to clean out. We use a 5 gallon bucket lined with one of those camping toilet bags. There's some kind of gel or powder in it, I can't remember which. We put it in the corner of a UHaul with a curtain around it. It's all very orderly. Nobody's peeing all willy nilly up to the tippy top of a sloshing bucket. And as far as the official Porta Potties we're not talking no waiting or 5 or 10 minute porta potty lines, as previously mentioned. I think last time I stood in line before we had this I was in line for 45 minutes. And again, the amount the provide is laughably inadequate for an event this size, sorry. Like someone said here or at jsonline, the suits need to come down from their luxurious palace digs and take a few laps around the parking lot and see what goes on.

Archived