Brewer Fanatic

Posey gets $167 million dollar extention through 2022

torts

Community Moderator

At first it looks like incredible money considering he is only 26 years old this year. However, this actually looks like a steal compared to the Mauer deal.

From 2013-2020 he will make $164 million (including signing bonus). Braun will make $141.5 million over that same period. Posey is 3 years younger than Braun. Both put up comparable WAR in 2012, although Posey will likely be more productive in later years, justifying the additional salary compared with Braun.

Another comparison: From 2013-2017, Posey will make $78.4 million. Lucroy will make $15 million. Mauer will make $115 million, plus another $23 million at age 35 in 2018. Posey is 1 year younger than Lucroy and 4 years younger than Mauer.

It seems like it is better to sign these deals at age 26-27. Pay more for the prime years in exchange for the contract ending around age 34 instead of 35-37. The Brewers will have a tough call if they decide to extend Gallardo starting at age 30 since he will probably be looking to sign through age 36.

Community Moderator
Never give a catcher a contract that big. What are these teams thinking...

Depends on what you define as "big". Clearly, $15-20 million/year isn't that much anymore, it used to be that only around 5 teams had the money to sign that type of contract, now it's getting to the point that almost every all-star in his 20s can expect $100+ million contracts.

Both put up comparable WAR in 2012, although Posey will likely be more productive in later years, justifying the additional salary compared with Braun.

This is where you lost me. I expect last year to be Posey's career year in value. The deal is probably fine but those late seasons when they are paying him to be a really good but not elite 1B will probably eat away at its value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I couldn't agree more. Mauer has always been an excellent defensive catcher, as well as putting up great offensive numbers for the most part, and still he's not living up to the expectations due to the power drop off. My problem with the Posey contract is there is a more than likely chance that he's not a catcher when this contract ends, which will also make him worth a lot less than he's earning.

I usually like extending star players while they're still in pre-arby, but it seems they paid above market value for his arby years, and market value for his FA years. You'd think that if the team is taking on the injury risk by guaranteeing the contract, they should get a discount, not have to pay a premium.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Posey will likely be more productive in later years, justifying the additional salary compared with Braun. .

I'm not convinced of that, especially if Posey is mostly a 1B in his later years. And if he remains a catcher into his mid-30's it is doubtful that his offensive numbers will remain as high.

I do think it is a smart contract for the Giants, but I do not see Buster Posey more valuable than Ryan Braun, now or especially in the future

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It really makes you appreciate what Ryan Braun did for this franchise.

Yes it does, and I won't ever forget it. I'm a Braun fan for life. IF he used something, I'll be very disappointed, but it would never outweigh all the positives he's built up since coming to the Majors. This is a man that signed a contract for life to stay with Milwaukee. He's invested in the community, opened up a restaurant, and he's great with the fans. I really want to believe in his innocence.

As far as Posey goes, he's a great catcher, and I unlike some, I think his numbers are actually going to improve. He might not maintain the same batting average, but he has some room to grow as far as his power production.

If he can stay healthy, the Giants got a bargain. Of course, that's a big "if". However, he's learned how to lessen impact at home plate, so I think any injuries from this point forward will be due to normal wear and tear from playing the position.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived