Your 2013 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscriber Content.

Tyrone Taylor Puts Adjustments To Work In Wisconsin

‘High-Ceiling Player’

Taylor looks like a climber in the Brewers organization. He has outstanding speed, makes good contact and has shown decent power from the right side of the plate.

“He’s a five-tool guy with a lot of talent, and it’s been fun watching him develop,” Erickson said. “For a young guy, his plate discipline is really good, and that’s something that all good hitters have.

“He can run, hit for average, hit for power, play defense and throw. And he’s got a bunch of room for growth. Hopefully, we’ve just scratched the surface with Tyrone, and the thing about him is that he’s a quick learner. He rarely makes the same mistake twice.”

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

“It’s getting better,” (Victor) Roache said. “I think I’ve made some strides since college. I had one rough patch where I was kicking the ball around in the outfield a little bit, but overall it’s been better. Our farm director Reid Nichols told me that they knew I was going to hit the ball, but in order to move up in the organization I had to play solid defense. There’s no DH in the National League. I’m probably not going to be out there making crazy diving catches because I don’t have that kind of speed, but to just play a solid left field is a goal.”

Despite the injury and subsequent hardship he faced, Roache is pleased with how the process played out.

“I love the organization,” Roache said. “I think it’s a great fit. They have a great farm system and they home-grow their players. It’s not a big-market team that can just go out and buy their players. It helps out to know that if you do well you are going to move up the chain.”

That's from the full article in the Beloit Daily News by friend of Brewerfan Josh Flickinger.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers Profile: Parker Berberet, catcher

by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent Media

Leading off

Height/weight: 6-3, 212.

Residence: Yorba Linda, Calif.

College: Oregon State.

Acquired: Selected by Milwaukee in the 25th round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

Position: Catcher.

Notes: Attended Oregon State his junior and senior seasons; prior to that, he attended Cypress College (Calif.), where he earned first-team all-Empire Conference honors as a freshman and sophomore. Has hit .304 since the all-star break to raise his average to .270.

Favorites

MLB team growing up: “The Dodgers. My dad was always a big Dodgers fan growing up and he passed it on to me.”

MLB player: “Shawn Green. When he hit four home runs (against the Brewers in 2002) — he just had a couple of monster years for the Dodgers when I was growing up.”

Food: “Pizza, any kind.”

Musical artist: “That’s tough. I listen to a lot of different genres. But I’d say the Rolling Stones.”

TV show: “It would have to be ‘Game of Thrones.’ ”

Movie: “The Natural.”

Job as a kid: “My first job was working at a baseball bat factory, testing out bats and packaging them up and making boxes. A bunch of little stuff like that. It was an aluminum bat company.”

Sport other than baseball: “Basketball.”

Place to go in Appleton: “Sal’s Pizza.”

Guilty pleasure: “Games on my iPhone, I guess. I’ve got a couple I mix in, like Candy Crush.”

Q&A

Q: You’re a surfer. How hard is it to learn how to surf?

A: “It’s not easy but it’s doable. A lot of people just give up because they go out at the wrong place. But if someone takes you out and takes the time to teach you, it’s doable.”

Q: How long did it take you to learn?

A: “To learn how, probably a couple of times. Obviously, to get to the point where you can go out on bigger surf, it took me a while. I probably started when I was 13 and have been doing it ever since.”

Q: What’s the biggest wave you’ve ridden?

A: “This off-season, I was out and a pretty big swell came in, probably 10-12 feet.”

Q: Ever get hurt?

A: “I never have, knock on wood, I guess. I try to be safe about it.”

Q: Any shark encounters?

A: “No, there’s been a couple of times where dolphins have swam by and I’ve paddled in. Seals, some stingrays, but no sharks.”

Q: You want to become a firefighter. Why?

A: “My uncle is actually a firefighter in L.A. County. It always appealed to me growing up. Unfortunately, because of baseball, I didn’t get to go to a college that could offer a fire science program. But there’s a junior college right near my house that offers a two-year program.

“If baseball doesn’t work out, I might try doing that, but I’m sticking with baseball right now.”

Q: Your sister Nicole played basketball at USC, so who’s the better athlete?

A: “Well, I think I’m going to have to take the cake on that one just because I think I could take her in one-on-one and I don’t know how she’d do on the baseball field. But she’s a great athlete. She was a volleyball player in high school, too.”

Q: How’d you end up at Oregon State?

A: “Kind of a funny story. Guy I played Little League with growing up, Ryan Dunn, who actually plays for Bowling Green, his dad played with Pat Casey, who’s the head coach at Oregon State. He happened to be talking with Pat when I was a freshman in junior college, and Pat said they were looking for a catcher and he kind of threw my name out there. (Casey) came and watched me in summer ball and watched me play and the rest is history.”

Q: What has been your toughest day behind the plate?

A: “It was probably this year in Cedar Rapids, early in the season. It was 40 degrees tops outside and Jorge Lopez was throwing and in warm-ups he spiked one off my throwing shoulder, so I really couldn’t feel my arm all game. Got a couple more during the game, ended up just beat up and went straight to bed afterwards.

“It was probably the roughest game I’ve had behind the plate.”

Q: What’s been your best day behind the plate?

A: “I can’t think of one off the top of my head. I guess I just like games where the other teams like to run. I like catching against teams that like to run and give me a chance to throw guys out. That’s probably the favorite thing I like to do back there.”

Q: Are you one to talk much to the batter or umpire, or not so much?

A: “Batter, not so much. Just a couple guys, ‘Hey, how’s it going?’ as they come up to the plate. Obviously, if I know the guy, I’ll talk a little bit more. Umpires, a little bit different. You have to establish a relationship with them. You’ve got to treat them right. You’ve got to figure out their zone, so I talk to the umpire throughout the game.”

Q: Do you try to win the umpire over, so to speak, and try an get him on your side?

A: “I guess that’s part of it, yeah. I know all of them by name. Just being friendly toward them helps, whether you’re going to get calls or not.”

Q: Is framing a pitch an art form?

A: “Absolutely.”

Q: How many strikes can you, for lack of a better term, create in a game by framing pitches?

A: “There was an article I just read about major league catchers, how many pitches per game they can get or can’t — they can take away strikes, too. The good ones got maybe two to four. The ones at the bottom lost like two a game. If you can get two, three strikes a game that are balls, it’s helping out your pitchers.”

Q: Is that working in concert with the umpire or is that all on you?

A: I think it’s definitely working with the umpire because, a lot of times, umpires don’t like certain things you do. Maybe block him off a little bit and you ask him where did you have that and he’ll say ‘I really didn’t see it. If you could give me a little better look, stay down a little more.’

“But at the same time, some umpires don’t care. They just call their zone and if you can make it look like a strike when it’s a little bit low or catch an outside corner, that’s good. Some umpires can definitely be swayed more than others.”

Q: What’s your body feeling like at this stage of the season?

A: Surprisingly good. I worked real hard in the off-season. My goal this year was to be a little bit lighter, a little more athletic. And it’s really paid off. Last year at this time, I was really dragging, so in the off-season I changed up my conditioning and it’s really paid off.”

Q: You’re hitting .341 since August and .304 since the all-star break. You hit .235 in the first half. What has been the difference?

A: “I kind of have been asking myself that same question. I hit a rough patch in the first half, I think I was 0-for-20 or something like that and I want to say if you throw that bad stretch of whatever, five, six games out, my numbers would even out a little bit better.

“But the second half, I’ve just really been locked in at the plate. Coming in, staying in my routine. Just trying to get better. Working on little adjustments that maybe can help me out a little bit, working with my hitting coach. It’s been a good second half for me.”

Q: You’re 0-1 in stealing bases this season. What happened?

A: “Well, I’m going to have to mix one in by the end of the season because I can’t have that 0 when I look online. I’m not a big base stealer. Last year, I was actually stealing some bases the first couple of months but I hurt my knee sliding into second.

“This year, I kind of said, ‘My speed is not my strength, so I’m going to be smart and take the extra base if they give it to me but not over-emphasize it and get hurt again.’ I’ll try to get that ratio up by the end of the year though.”

Q: What’s the first thing you bought with your signing bonus?

A: “It wasn’t much so it wasn’t anything big. Probably a tank of gas to get me home from Oregon to California.”

Q: What’s your favorite piece of sports memorabilia?

A: “Actually, my dad’s got a couple of bats, a couple of Louisville Sluggers that he kept when he grew up. He got them in junior college. One was a Roberto Clemente model and one was a Johnny Bench model. Those are pretty cool.”

Timber Rattlers catcher Parker Berberet also plays occasionally at first base. / Ron Page photo, Post-Crescent Media

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20130817&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=308170334&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Timber-Rattlers-Profile-Parker-Berberet-catcher

We went to the game as a family tonight and Tyrone Taylor stole the show. First he flipped a ball to my 7 y/o son along the fence before the game and then he signed it **after** the game during the fireworks. What a class act! My son repeatedly said "That Tyrone Taylor is one heck of a ballplayer" over and over. He's got a new favorite...that is for sure!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

We went to the game as a family tonight and Tyrone Taylor stole the show. First he flipped a ball to my 7 y/o son along the fence before the game and then he signed it **after** the game during the fireworks. What a class act! My son repeatedly said "That Tyrone Taylor is one heck of a ballplayer" over and over. He's got a new favorite...that is for sure!

Taylor is one heck of a nice guy also... Very fan friendly. Whenever we have gotten anything signed by him, he always chats with us, and says really polite things that he seems to mean. Just a standout classy kid.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would think that all 3 of those guys will be bumped up to Brevard County next season...

If Roache is truly over his wrist injury (which sure looked like the case as last season wore on) I would expect him to open a lot of eyes next season.

I saw Wagner pitch a few times and every time he just looked like he was a man among boysl. I think this kid is for real.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

No Timber Rattlers on the Midwest League Top 20

No Victor Roache, no Tyrone Taylor (Taylor finished with only a .738 OPS, by the way), and from the pitching side, thought Tyler Wagner earned consideration for a back-end slot on the list as the lone rep, but not quite.

Their list bothers me a lot. I went to at least 30 snappers games this summer and saw a lot of the guys on the list. Besides Taylor and Wagner, Tyler Pike and Victor Sanchez really should have been on there. Renato Nunez should have made the list as well. Kinda hard to say who should be taken off though.

Archived