Brewer Fanatic

Apps for your Apple Devices

RobDeer 45
What are your must haves for either the phone or iPad? I feel like I'm stuck on the apps I found a long time ago and could use some fresh stuff. Also, if you have an app for your iPhone, do you have rights to the iPad version or do you have to buy that one as well?

If you have an iPhone app, it'll run on the iPad, but the experience probably won't be optimal. You can install it on both devices without paying extra, though. On the iPad, you can generally double the iPhone app's display size, but it still won't fill the screen.

iPad apps won't run on the iPhone. Universal apps are designed to run optimally on both devices.

If the app is specifically for the iPhone or iPad, there'd be a separate charge for its counterpart for the other device. If the app is universal, you can install it on both devices without paying extra, provided that both devices use the same Apple ID for iTunes.

You can use separate Apple IDs for iCloud (backup) and iTunes (apps, music, etc.). Families tend to share an Apple ID for iTunes and use separate ones for iCloud.

I'd recommend Tapatalk for perusing and posting on the Brewerfan and LambeauLeap boards.

Dropbox is way cool, too. A lot of apps are Dropbox-compatible. That would allow you to view and edit certain documents in the app of your choice.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator

Here is the list of apps that I actually use:

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Google Maps

MLB At-Bat

ESPN Fantasy Football

Tapatalk

RadarScope

MapMyRun+

GuiTune

I would also be interested to know the apps that people use frequently.

I just started using flipboard a shot and like it. I can see that being a daily thing.

Casey thanks for the in depth. I did notice that you can always do the 2x increase on iPhone apps on iPad. I will also check out Tapatalk. Didn't know if it was any better than just using the site.

I currently use these on the regular:

Weather channel (which isn't the greatest but at least gives me an idea)

MLB at-bat

twitter

Time Warner Cable (can watch tv on it, pretty cool)

Netflix

Watch ESPN

ESPN Score Center

Lose it (good for those who want to keep an eye on calorie intake)

IMDB

Tune in Radio

I Heart Radio

Instagram

Paypal

Only game I've played lately is Plants vs Zombies

Some that I use frequently that have not been mentioned yet.

Speedtest.net

Gmail

Hotmail

Pandora

Shazam

Yahoo fantasy sports apps--they do separate apps for each sport

Yahoo Sportacular--great scoreboard that covers just about every sport in one place

UrbanSpoon

Allrecipes

FindmyIphone

Yelp

Two we use when traveling that work really well

Taxi Magic

AroundMe

Tripadvisor City Guides

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I did notice that you can always do the 2x increase on iPhone apps on iPad. I will also check out Tapatalk. Didn't know if it was any better than just using the site.

I believe I found one exception that didn't offer the 2x increase. I can't remember what it is, though.

Tapatalk saves bandwidth by eliminating non-essential graphics, offers a couple of ways to access threads, and allows you to control font size. I didn't find the font size preference right away, but it's there. :)

You might want the package trackers from the major services (USPS, UPS, FedEx).

I forgot to mention the Mercury Web Browser. While I use Safari 90% of the time, among other things, Mercury offers ad-blocking, syncing with Firefox and Chrome, and the ability to save files to Dropbox. Ads aren't a huge issue in Safari because of the lack of Flash, but Mercury's a huge plus on the sites whose ads are woefully obnoxious.

There are free and pro versions of Mercury. I don't recall for sure what the limitations are in the free version, but I think the main one is the number of tabs that you can open. The pro version is only 99 cents, though. Once in a while, Mercury sends a notification that offers a number of paid apps for free. I don't know if the apps are free because you own Mercury or if Mercury simply finds them and tells you about them.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but AirFile intrigues me. It allows you to access and transfer files between multiple Dropbox, Box, GDrive, and SkyDrive accounts. You need to upgrade to the Pro version via an in-app purchase to access more than one account.

I'm also pleased with 1Password. It's pricey but worth it. The iOS version is a straight universal app purchase. But there are various Mac/Windows licensing options; the best option depends on how many devices and which OSes you happen to have. If you store your passwords in Dropbox, they'll be available on all of your devices.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of Pangea Software’s iPhone & iPad games are free today. I don't know how long this will last. See this page:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/pangea-softwares-iphone-ipad-games-free-for-a-day

then follow the link in the first paragraph of the article. The link should take you right into iTunes or the App Store, depending on whether you're using a computer or an iOS device.

I don't play a lot of games, and I don't know if these games will appeal to me. But I like free stuff that otherwise costs money. :)

I'm downloading these through iTunes on my Mac so I can evaluate them later. Another option would be to download to your iOS device, then delete them if you have storage issues. Once you've "purchased" them, they can be re-downloaded later at no charge.

intellicast is the best ipad weather app I've found

sudoku

monopoly (so addictive)

flashlight

H@ME for my HAI system

OnStar app to start my car from work when it's 115-outside

mlbtraderumors

mlb

numbers

AP News

Five Guys

Jimmy Johns

IMDB

Zillow

USGA rules of golf

Delta Airlines

National Geographic: National Parks App

flightaware (a relative does private air travel so it's nice to be updated on flight arrival)

iHandy level (for paintings/pics on wall)

Heart fitness

My fitness pal

I also love the stock app that is pre-loaded and wish it were available for the ipad

Dhonks, if you like the stock app, try the seekingalpha app, great for news flow, the market currents section provides up to the minute key news items like earnings releases, analyst moves/comments, and news that is moving stocks.

The website is pretty good as well, the app is just a version for the iphone with the same info. You can build your list of stocks to track the news on and/or look at the news flow for the entire market that is moving stocks.

The Market Currents section blows away Yahoo finance, or any other news service I have seen for providing relevant, current news and not just articles on junk sites like Motley fool or old info like Forbes or Barons.

MJLiverock, I have that. I get lots of great analysis on my stocks each day with the push notifications. I just like the wonderful simplicity of the Stocks App. Very simple, very intuitive, and lots of good reports. I do love the Motley Fool insight as well.

My guess is that Apple doesn't offer Stocks on the iPad because it's written for the iPhone and they feel that it would offer an inferior experience on a tablet. I agree that an iPad version be a nice addition, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Apple's Remote app for controlling an Apple TV or iTunes on a Mac is cool. There's bit of a learning curve, though.

I prefer SoundHound to Shazam.

I prefer WeatherBug to WeatherChannel. The latest WeatherBug update is pretty cool.

I prefer Sportacular (Yahoo!) to ESPN.

There is a specific Brewers app (MIL - Baseball News) that pulls in articles from Yahoo! Sports, MLB.com, and Journal Sentinel. J-S sometimes gives you flack about the number of articles that you view, but the Yahoo! articles come up quick and clean. There are also Packers (Packers News) and Badgers apps too.

I have a Bubble app that acts as a reasonably good level when you don't have one handy. I also have a Compass app.

I use Catch to capture notes when I think of random things that I don't want to forget. I don't use this app nearly as much as it is capable of being used.

DrinkOwl and UrbanDaddy are kind of fun for going out.

Archived