Brewer Fanatic

Do any of you collect baseball cards of the Brewers?

The stache

Got an Ed Kirkpatrick signed 77 Brewers card off the Bay tonight. I'm jumping into my first Brewers card signed project...and not sure how much something like that would/should sell for...it was 13 and shipping. Figured it was worth it as I don't really know how many Brewers cards he signed. The sig was post accident I'm assuming.

Also picked up 10 signed rookie cards for 17 from a board member. Pretty soon I'll get going on the TTM route, but if I can pick up cards for a buck or two, I'll save myself the time and just pick it up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I inherited a bunch of mid to late 70s cards from my dad, which includes a Dave Winfield rookie, Eddie Murray rookie, Paul Molitor rookie, and several other cards of Hall of Famers. I'm probably going to resell them, but I'm not sure if I should get the higher valued cards graded or not. I'm thinking they would grade out anywhere between a 5-7, so would it even be worth it to do the grading?

How do you guys display your auto cards with UV protection in mind? I have some Packer autos that I like to display, but I've only got a few of them in UV protected card holders (pro mold, I think). Do the Becketts have UV protection built in?

Not sure about the Beckett holders.

I have used Tru-Vue conservation clear glass for many years and have been very pleased with the results. It has UV protection and you can get it at most framing shops. It's not their most expensive product, so there is some glare, but that doesn't matter much to me.

I am currently using Bridgetowne Custom Framing and Gallery in Wauwatosa, though I've also gotten it at Fast Frame, and mall frame shops. I think it's pretty much a standard product for framers.

I have a number of autographed 3x5s and other signatures on white paper, each framed with a photograph on acid-free matting, behind that glass. The earliest pieces I had done were at least 20 years ago in the early 1990s, and they're still bold and legible. Some of the earliest pieces were in a room with afternoon sunlight for 5 years. They still look great, so I think the glass does the trick.

How do you guys display your auto cards with UV protection in mind? I have some Packer autos that I like to display, but I've only got a few of them in UV protected card holders (pro mold, I think). Do the Becketts have UV protection built in?

All my autographed cards are in Ultra Pro One touches (various sizes, from 35pt for the Chrome autos, up to 130 pt for things like Museum or Topps Tribute). Sometimes there's a little extra room, as some card sizes just don't have a perfect holder. So, I'll fold a penny sleeve over, and put it behind the card to keep it in nice and snug.

Cards are all then boxed. I don't display them, I can look at my scans :)

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I inherited a bunch of mid to late 70s cards from my dad, which includes a Dave Winfield rookie, Eddie Murray rookie, Paul Molitor rookie, and several other cards of Hall of Famers. I'm probably going to resell them, but I'm not sure if I should get the higher valued cards graded or not. I'm thinking they would grade out anywhere between a 5-7, so would it even be worth it to do the grading?

For those cards, with those grades, it probably wouldn't be worth your money to grade them. Late 70s cards are plentiful enough that condition is everything, and they aren't old enough to give value to a 5-7 grade.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to add these to the discussion when I got them in. Love these, and they should go up in value nicely now that Jean is showing his worth :p

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/5059/2010chromejsegurabluere.png http://imageshack.us/a/img20/1990/2010donrusseliteemerald.png

The Chrome blue refractor is numbered to /250. The Donruss Elite Emerald auto is /25.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• 4 weeks later...

Stache, since we talked about 3 weeks ago through PM Segura cards have all doubled. Nice job getting in there early!

What card shops in the Milwaukee area do ya'll go to? I've hit up a bunch of them, but wondering if maybe I've missed one or two. I often go to Gunderson's since it's closest to my house.

West Allis Sports cards doesn't have much offered. Jeff's is good but it's a pretty good drive from the east side.

Has anyone ever gone to Wise Guys? I've tried going there at various times on weekdays and weekends and they're never open. Not the best way to run a business.

I recently picked up a Cal Ripken Jr Topps rookie, a Segura 2013 Topps Turkey 9/10 auto, and a Segura Bowman 2011 Blue Refractor signed. Gonna try to pick up some more Segura cards after work. Like many, I'm totally falling in love with this kid.

I've been full back into cards since about 2010 after collecting all my childhood, and am big into prospecting, not just the Brewers...im in oak creek, there's Brew City Cards on 27th st, not sure about that place though...do a lot of my breaking through group breaks online, and get a lot of my singles on EBAY

A couple weeks back I sold my 2011 Bowman Chrome Jean Segura orange autographed refractor (numbered to 25) for $520...ungraded. I had a hard time letting it go, but I couldn't turn down a $400 profit from when I picked it up over the winter. I was then able to win a Paul Molitor bat barrel nameplate from 2013 Museum Collection...I'll try to get a pic up this weekend of that.

Picked up two more 2011 Segura base Bowman Chrome autos, as well as two 2010 Bowman Chrome refractors, which I haven't scanned yet

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/8518/2011chromejsegura2.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img585/9610/2011chromejsegura1.png

Stache, since we talked about 3 weeks ago through PM Segura cards have all doubled. Nice job getting in there early!

Ya, I think that Emerald Auto is going to be one of his most valuable cards. It's a 2010, as opposed to the 2011 Bowman Chrome. And with a print run of /25, I can't think of many more valuable cards of his.

There's a gold /25 auto, and a black /1, but I've never seen either.

I've been full back into cards since about 2010 after collecting all my childhood, and am big into prospecting, not just the Brewers...im in oak creek, there's Brew City Cards on 27th st, not sure about that place though...do a lot of my breaking through group breaks online, and get a lot of my singles on EBAY

Same here, but I prospect the Brewers, too.

Pick up some 2010 Bowman Sterling Domonic Brown autos if you haven't already. Those are about to take off. I also think the market for Julio Teheran is going to start rising.

I've got this one of Brown, which is a refractor, and one graded BC refractor auto of Teheran, which is Beckett graded:

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/3739/10sterlingdbrownref.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img716/9919/10chromejteheranref.png

I got my eye on some Browns that end today, also Im picking up a few base Buxtons, he is the real deal and while prices are high already, they won't be coming down

I prospect the brewers as well, and have some nice Hanigers...3 Sterling purple autos /10, and a BDPP Red ref auto /5 among them

Glad to see there are still people that collect the cardboard

I picked this up a couple weeks back

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/kelbysdaddy/img587_zpsc40be43d.jpg[/url]

I like it. A lot. I'll have a bunch more to show off within the next few days (even a couple nice autos from the enemy).

Ya, I think that Emerald Auto is going to be one of his most valuable cards. It's a 2010, as opposed to the 2011 Bowman Chrome. And with a print run of /25, I can't think of many more valuable cards of his.

There's a gold /25 auto, and a black /1, but I've never seen either.

I have one of the 2010 Emerald Autos graded by Becket at 9 on the card, 10 on the Auto. I'll try to remember to scan it in.

The 2010 Donruss Extra Edition Black 1/1 is currently listed on eBay for $2000. The 1/1 cards are so hard to value, I have a Barry Sanders card from the mid 90's that is a 1/1 I pulled from a pack of Topps Finest. I have no idea what it worth since it is the only one and isn't a rookie.

Braun Museum Collection #8 patch 1/5, Molitor Museum Collection 1/1 bat barrel nameplate, Segura National Treasures button and auto 1/6, Braun jersey w/Majestic logo 43/99, Molitor helmet/bat/jersey/pants combo from 2005 Absolute, and 2011 Bowman Chrome Khris Davis superfractor 1/1

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p636/jrodbrewcrew/6-3-201364630PM_zpsf332aa3e.jpg

And the biggy...I've wanted one forever and after selling a bunch on ebay last month, I decided to go after a nice one.

1954 Topps Hank Aaron RC

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p636/jrodbrewcrew/6-3-201364722PM_zps8d629e58.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p636/jrodbrewcrew/6-3-201364806PM_zps619f70ef.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice cards, jrod! I especially like the '54 Aaron (that should go without saying!)

I can't wait to dive feet first into vintage. That will happen very, very soon. Just building my savings back up a bit after paying off my car and medical bills.

The 2010 Donruss Extra Edition Black 1/1 is currently listed on eBay for $2000.

Yikes!

$2000 for a modern card seems crazy! For that, you can get both Ty Cobb signature and a Walter Johnson signature. Or a fantastic piece of game used stuff. Or a nice piece of art.

I like sports memorabilia, and I like cards, but that number (and I'm sure there are higher numbers) is staggering to me.

I agree JimH5, that price for the Segura card is insane. It is listed as a Buy It Now for that price and I would be surprised if someone bids that for it. I've noticed a lot of the rookie signed limited edition cards go parabolic in pricing as the world discovers the new talent but then tends to fall off a bit by the 2nd year. I know my Ryan Braun signed rookie stuff peaked around the offseason between his rookie year and end of his 2nd year. I have a graded 10 Mike Trout signed Bowman Sterling rookie that peaked in value during this past offseason and have noticed prices have fallen from $400 to $330 for the last one sold.

I have started to appreciate the vintage stuff a lot more. The really nice condition stuff is just as scarce as these limited edition runs of newer guys but without the risk of the player's career getting cut short, performance falling off or getting busted for PED's. My favorite item is my framed B&w 16x20 autographed Hank Aaron photo in his Milwaukee Braves uniform. This is just a pic pulled from the Internet of an unframed one but it is the same one I have. I bought it at a silent auction about 4 years ago. I placed the minimum bid and was the only bidder so I ended up getting it well below the retail price I see on it now.

AAROPHS016000_extralarge_image1_43285.JPEG

I like that Aaron shot a lot.

The BBHOF has a photo library with thousands of images that they sell. I think 8 x 10s are around $25 and 16 x 20s are around $50. They are new prints of old photos, and make for good display pieces.

As for the high end new cards, people should buy what they want, and who am I to say they shouldn't. Same with expensive bobbles. They're just not for me, especially at $2K a pop.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been quite a while since this thread has been updated. I've been collecting vintage and pre-war cards more than anything (the T206 set, 1933/34 Goudey sets, and the 1975 Topps set are my current projects. The T206 set is very, very expensive. I'm building it in a PSA 4/5 condition.

But, I've also been working on a Robin Yount master set. First I'm working on getting all his Topps cards in high grade. I just got this beauty in a couple of days ago. I'm debating resubmitting it, because I think it's a ten. This is his second year card, and it's absolutely beautiful.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3258/4P476y.png

Have any of you guys added any new Brewer cards recently? I'd love to see them.

Archived