Brewer Fanatic

All Things Yuni

splitterpfj
People are always complaining that managers manage by the book to much, RRR is miles better than Yost and Macha were and its not even that close to me. The players love playing for him, they have been successful under him. He gets the most out of our offense consistently. Does he make some questionable decisions from time to time, sure. Every manager does and if you were the manager you would to. It all comes down to the amount of possible decisions you have to make. If he had left Kotsay on the bench all season and never started him, some people, maybe not you, but some people would complain about it. People will always complain about something. If his biggest issue is he started Kotsay 10 games and 1 game in centerfield in the playoffs I think he is doing ok

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once they signed Lohse I figured there was no way they were going into the season with Blake Lalli, Donnie Murphy, and Khris Davis as the back end of their bench.

No WAY, man. Like the West High Sharks Cheerleaders in the storied Bring It On movie franchise, the Brewers are IN IT TO WIN IT.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My whole point of this was Roenicke is obviously gonna give a Yuni B type vet a lot more opportunities than a journeyman scrub like Murphy.

Roenicke is never going to start Yuni over a healthy Weeks or Ramirez, so that just leaves shortstop. Unless Segura really really struggles at the plate over an extended length of time, not just a few games and he then lets that negatively effect his fielding, i just don't believe that Yuni will see more than a few random spot starts here and there at short.

The one way i could see Yuni getting a number of starts in a row is if an injury hit a starting infielder, but in that case the difference between him or Murphy starting for awhile is miniscule given both suck. Murphy has a career .643 OPS and Betancourt a .682 OPS, neither guy can hit except that Yuni can jack a homer once in awhile.

Maldonado catching. Lucroy at first. Profit.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Oh, and :laughing at the gifs. This thread has to be archived. Instant classic.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I was studying Yuni's splits the other day and it is remarkable how much better he is earlier in the count, and how much worse he is late in the count.

He's too old to change his ways, so he'll be a hacker until they take his jersey away.

And while it seems so much better to work a pitcher and extend the at bats, that strategy doesn't work for him. He doesn't get better with more looks.

Yuni with a ground rule double and a HR in his first two ABs back with Milwaukee... didn't see the pitch totals from his two at bats but I can't imagine it is over 3...

ahh the old gotta see a lotta pitches cliche. Plenty of terrible hitters see a lot of pitches, Jason Kendall comes to mind, and plenty of great hitters hit the first good pitch they like. I consider seeing pitches to be one the most useless stats there is in determining a hitter's ability. Nothing annoys me more than watching a batter take straight as an arrow fast ball down the middle of the plate just because they never swing at the first pitch only to pop up a curve ball 3 pitches later.

Yuni with a ground rule double and a HR in his first two ABs back with Milwaukee... didn't see the pitch totals from his two at bats but I can't imagine it is over 3...

ahh the old gotta see a lotta pitches cliche. Plenty of terrible hitters see a lot of pitches, Jason Kendall comes to mind, and plenty of great hitters hit the first good pitch they like. I consider seeing pitches to be one the most useless stats there is in determining a hitter's ability. Nothing annoys me more than watching a batter take straight as an arrow fast ball down the middle of the plate just because they never swing at the first pitch only to pop up a curve ball 3 pitches later.

It wasn't a remark about the quality of the hitter but rather the type of hitter. I remember when Yuni would bat I wouldn't move from the couch bc I knew his at bat would be over shortly. A little nostalgia is all... carry on.

Nothing annoys me more than watching Yuni weakly ground to 2b on a low outside on the black fastball on the first pitch.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If you are going to suck as a hitter the least you can do is help wear out the pitcher.

Most hitters are better earlier in the count. Partly because they swing at pitches they can better and partly because they can be more selective instead of defensive.

As long as Yuni never plays in the field and never hits against RHP, this signing doesn't completely suck. I don't trust our manager to keep him in that very restricted role.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Logan, when Segura's clearly the team's best SS, and with Weeks & Ramirez flanking him at 2B & 3B, do you really think Roenicke's thinking that Betancourt's there to be used for regular PT at any of those 3 positions?

Maybe not regular playing time at a certain position, but I expect him to get creative (or as creative as RR can get), and get him more playing time than he deserves. There is no way he is going to rot on the bench, he will play, but it's anyone's guess how that is going to happen.

He might start out the year playing 2 games a week at SS, just enough to throw Segura out of any possible rhythm he may get into. Then, he might get one start at 2B per week to give Rickie a breather, and a start at 3B for Ramirez per week. That is 4 starts a week right there.

I have no idea if he has ever played 1B, but if so, that could be another one. So, if he starts out the year starting 5 times per week, it won't shock me at all. (I doubt 1B is an option though)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe not regular playing time at a certain position, but I expect him to get creative (or as creative as RR can get), and get him more playing time than he deserves. There is no way he is going to rot on the bench, he will play, but it's anyone's guess how that is going to happen.

He might start out the year playing 2 games a week at SS, just enough to throw Segura out of any possible rhythm he may get into. Then, he might get one start at 2B per week to give Rickie a breather, and a start at 3B for Ramirez per week. That is 4 starts a week right there.

I have no idea if he has ever played 1B, but if so, that could be another one. So, if he starts out the year starting 5 times per week, it won't shock me at all. (I doubt 1B is an option though)

I'm sorry, but you're being a little bit ridiculous. There's no way he plays that much, even with RRR being himself. He might get a spot start here and there at any of the IF positions just to give a guy a day off, but I'd guess that most of his starts will be at 1B. Once Hart returns Yuni will either be released, or not play at all because Gonzalez will be ahead of him as a utility IF. Yuni will mostly be used as the top RH pinch-hitter, and I'm fine with that because most of his AB's will be against LHP. Saying he'll start 4 or 5 games a week is just over the top in my opinion. Weeks and Ramirez rarely take days off. Ramirez gets maybe 2 days off a month, and Weeks probably only 1. And RRR loves Segura. He's raved about him all ST. I think he'll end up getting the vast majority of the playing time, assuming he continues to hit.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd guess that most of his starts will be at 1B.

That is a bit of a problem, as he bats from the same side as the currently-designated fill-in starter... although I can admit their slash lines look pretty similar. All in all, Roenicke & Melvin have done about an F-grade-caliber job of finding cover at 1B for Corey's absence.

Yuni will mostly be used as the top RH pinch-hitter, and I'm fine with that because most of his AB's will be against LHP.

If this is true, it'll come at the expense of the actual best RHB PH option in Khris Davis. I will most definitely not be fine with that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd guess that most of his starts will be at 1B.

That is a bit of a problem, as he bats from the same side as the currently-designated fill-in starter... although I can admit their slash lines look pretty similar. All in all, Roenicke & Melvin have done about an F-grade-caliber job of finding cover at 1B for Corey's absence.

Yuni will mostly be used as the top RH pinch-hitter, and I'm fine with that because most of his AB's will be against LHP.

If this is true, it'll come at the expense of the actual best RHB PH option in Khris Davis. I will most definitely not be fine with that.

I don't see Davis being on the team for an extended period of time this year. There just won't be enough at-bats. He can only play LF, so spot starts to keep him sharp won't be there. All of the other bench players will get their at-bats because of versatility in the field. If he is on the team, then yes he should be the top option. If Lalli is on the team over Davis, then scratch the Yuni at 1B stuff and insert Yuni as the top RH option off the bench. I do agree that it's ridiculous to not have a LH backup to Gonzalez, but that may happen. I am fine with Yuni getting at-bats against LHP, but if it's a situation where we need pop it should obviously be Davis. If Davis is on the team he will need those at-bats, I agree. I'm still not sold on him being able to produce as a bench bat though, and I guess we'll see if Melvin and RRR think he can. Although being on the 40-man also helps his cause.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm sorry, but you're being a little bit ridiculous. There's no way he plays that much, even with RRR being himself.

We shall see, it may sound ridiculous, but not impossible. Our roster is far from idiot proof, so nothing will surprise me. I am not saying that the situation I lined out will happen, but it surely could. I tend to think that in all reality, what I have posted could happen, and is closer to reality than what you have posted. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

He only started about 40 games with the Royals last year and wouldn't be surprised to see the same with the Brewers but that translates to 1-2 starts a week. His days of starting 5 days a week are over, no matter who the manager is.

He only started about 40 games with the Royals last year and wouldn't be surprised to see the same with the Brewers but that translates to 1-2 starts a week. His days of starting 5 days a week are over, no matter who the manager is.

I am hoping and praying you are correct!

I too doubt he gets 5 starts per week, but 2 or even 3 is not out of the question.

I'd rather see Khris Davis get regular ABs down in Nashville while learning the 1B position. His bat will play in the bigs but he needs to find a spot on the field that isn't currently occupied by Ryan Braun in Milwaukee. The glut of backup middle infielders on this team will sort itself out once Hart's back playing everyday.

Getting sick of the 'idiot-proofing' of rosters and how terrible Roenicke is as a manager crap, too. "I'm not saying what I wrote will happen, but it will probably happen and think my crazy idea is more right than your idea because I have no idea what I'm talking about" - what is that?

As for Yuni B - he's a good fit on this team as a utility IF to give guys days off and as a secondary pinch hit option. Late inning defensive replacement he is not....And, if the only time Betancourt is utilized is as a PH option against a lefthanded reliever or starter and never plays defense, then the Brewers mightaswell play with 24 guys. If Yuni stays on the roster for the full season, he will get some starts, will play 2nd, SS, and probably 3rd defensively on occasion, and he will have a good # of ABs against RH pitching. The world won't end, and the Brewers won't have to forfeit the games in which these things happen.

In reality, once Hart's back management should make a decision between Yuni B and Gonzalez for the roster, and I sure hope Gonzalez is the choice.

Take this for whatever you think it means...

Watching the Phillies ST broadcast and the announcers were talking about Yuni signing with Milwaukee. One said, "I don't know if they thought he was that good when they had him a few years ago." The other chimed in, "We heard they didn't."

Take this for whatever you think it means...

Watching the Phillies ST broadcast and the announcers were talking about Yuni signing with Milwaukee. One said, "I don't know if they thought he was that good when they had him a few years ago." The other chimed in, "We heard they didn't."

Doug Melvin always played up his strengths whenever asked about him. Whether he really thought he was that good or just trying to be nice to a guy who seems to be well regarded in the locker room, I don't know.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived