Brewer Fanatic

All Things Yuni

splitterpfj
As long as Francisco is there, Yuni will be splitting time with him. Neither of them are collecting many hits lately. However, Yuni is probably due for his warm up in September after another cyclical cold spell. Splitting time will probably also prevent injury to either of them until the end of the season. There is no other first baseman prospect ready to be grooming for the position. Hunter Morris had been struggling too badly. Mat Gamel is presumably still out of the picture.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

When the starting 1B is a much-loathed, many-year veteran batting 8th on a team having a dreadful, it makes me wonder if part of the point is . . . . to improve the odds, however slightly, of better draft position.

We owe Yuni nothing. He hasn't earned PT since April. Sean Halton deserves chances and, gee whiz, seems to help us win games lately. Of course the opponent being the Cardinals already tilts the table away from us as it is. Yuni starting at 1B reinforces the tilt.

That's one possible explanation, anyway.

I like RRR and Doug but I can't figure out the Yuni thing either. Maybe they think he can be a good coach or scout some day and want to use a lost season to suck up to him for a future gig. While I say that in jest at least that would be a better reason than anything he does on the field.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm so very proud of my 9-year old daughter, who in awareness of the badness of Yuni, has renamed him "You stinky Butt cork".

We shared some hearty laughter over that one, while Mrs. H5 looked at us with scolding eyes.

I hope to never have that bond.

First: I don't want a kid of my own.

Second: I hope to never have a Brewer that bad on the team again.

But good parenting skills Jim.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yuni has "earned" $400,000 in playing time incentives this year. We have kept him on the roster longer than the last 2 teams that signed him combined. The Royals even had the good sense to cut him last August.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Thanks coder, and I didn't want a child until I was nearly 40, when I realized that I was never going to be a perfect parent, but I would give it my best and see what happened. And so far, the results have been largely positive. Maybe you'll change your mind. And trwi7, I hope you get to share in the gleeful disgust of a Brewer underachiever with a child. Every generation has one, so there will be another Yuni in 5 years and in 10 and forevermore.

As for your hope that the Brewers never have another player with such stink-a-tude, don't be sure that Yuni isn't back at some point in the future. We scraped him off our boot once, only to have Doug step into that mess once again. He seems to have a soft spot for that adorable rascal.

Seriously though, that Yuni is on the team and Roenicke continues to use him is just baffling. And it brings into serious doubt whether I'll renew my tickets. What if he's given a NRI next spring? Would it really shock you?

How can the leadership not see what every analyst and other GM sees about the worst player in baseball? They gave him nearly 400 plate appearances this year. That's criminal. And they don't seem to want to bury him on the bench even with nothing to play for.

This is the brain trust that we have to move the team forward?

There had to have been a guy toiling in the Mexican league, or a 30-something career minor leaguer in AAA somewhere, or even independent ball who could have put up a .235 OBP.

Seriously though, that Yuni is on the team and Roenicke continues to use him is just baffling. And it brings into serious doubt whether I'll renew my tickets.

My mlb.tv subscription is done-for. I just can't support a team that points a pistol at their own foot and pulls the trigger. I stuck with these guys through absolute crap years, and I dealt with it because I saw it all as a necessary part of a plan that I was on board with. Injuries, suspensions, and slumps suck, but they'll happen. I'll never turn my back on a team simply because of bad luck, but I can't be excited about a team that's just foolish.

When your firstbasemen all go down, and you pass over mediocre 1Bs because you think two sub-.700 OPS shortstops will solve the problem, you've lost it.

And Yuni starts game 162 as well. And takes of the Oh-fer. Finishes the season with a sizzling .595 OPS.

I hope I have witnessed Yuni's last plate appearance as a Brewer. But I don't trust Doug Melvin enough to be confident that's the last we ever see of Yuni B.

After from the first month of the season -- 79% of his total PAs -- his OPS came in around .525. When you consider that almost half of his total PAs came as a first baseman, it becomes even harder to attempt to stomach

And I share your fear that Melvin's & Roenicke's apparent affinity for Yuni will rear its ugly head once again.

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30709

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived