Brewer Fanatic

All Things Yuni

splitterpfj

FACT: YUNI HAS HIT 79 HOME RUNS SINCE 2005.

ICHIRO HAS HIT FEWER. HE IS A HOFER.

TRANSITIVE PROPERTY OF HOME RUNS --> YUNI IS A HOFER

QED, NERDS. GO BACK TO YOUR MOMMIES BASEMENTS AND TRY AND LEARN HOW TO PLAY BASEBALL.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I fail to see how the stats don't show the Yuni is one of the worst players I the majors. Has nothing to do with being a nerd.

I share your confusion. It's claiming that only the pencil-necked dorks think today was hotter than yesterday, ignoring that we have thermometers that can actually tell us such things. Three digit numbers are for math camp losers.

When it comes down to it, if Yuni were truly the worst player there is and replaceable by anybody, it would have been done already, both back in 2011 and now in 2013. He's obviously passing multiple evaluators eye tests to be in a major league uniform and getting playing time.

When it comes down to it, if Yuni were truly the worst player there is and replaceable by anybody, it would have been done already, both back in 2011 and now in 2013. He's obviously passing multiple evaluators eye tests to be in a major league uniform and getting playing time.

Which is why it might be time for the Brewers to get new evaluators. Trotting this guy out there on a team going nowhere is completely embarrassing.

Which is why it might be time for the Brewers to get new evaluators. Trotting this guy out there on a team going nowhere is completely embarrassing.

As opposed to trotting him out there on a team in contention such as in 2011? He actually produced pretty well in the playoffs. If the team is going nowhere this year, it shouldn't be embarrassing at all. How can you embarrass a last place team? If the Brewers had anything to lose this season, then I could see someone reasonably complaining about a questionable player. As it stands, Yuni is not a major reason why this team is in last place. Yuni never can win. If he produces, its a fluke. If he slumps or makes mistakes, its "same old Yuni". Imagine if Yuni went through a "Craig Counsell" type slump. Even through Yuni hits more home runs in a season than Counsel does in 5 years, Yuni would be completely lambasted.

Yuni may be terrible but I would wager that zero of our current organizational infield prospects ever match his 4187 career major league plate appearances. Draw whatever inferences you see fit from this particular suspicion.

Prior to the 2013 season, no Milwaukee Brewer has ever had over 200 plate appearances while maintaining a .240 or lower OBP. Currently, Yuni is at 318 plate appearances and a .239 OBP in 2013. On top of that, he has some of the worst range I have ever seen in an infielder, and his last positive dWAR season, per Baseball Reference, was 2007. On top of that, he is continually trotted out there at 1B and 3B, positions that are generally offensively strong positions.

The fact that Doug Melvin could not find a better player to replace him completely baffles me. I simply can't believe that there isn't a player in the free agent market or in the minors who couldn't play better. How many times was Travis Ishikawa available on the free agent market for basically nothing this year? He isn't a long term answer at first base, but he hit for a .257/.329/.428 line last year. It sure beats Betancourt's .213/.239/.367 line so far this year.

As opposed to trotting him out there on a team in contention such as in 2011? He actually produced pretty well in the playoffs. If the team is going nowhere this year, it shouldn't be embarrassing at all. How can you embarrass a last place team? If the Brewers had anything to lose this season, then I could see someone reasonably complaining about a questionable player. As it stands, Yuni is not a major reason why this team is in last place. Yuni never can win. If he produces, its a fluke. If he slumps or makes mistakes, its "same old Yuni". Imagine if Yuni went through a "Craig Counsell" type slump. Even through Yuni hits more home runs in a season than Counsel does in 5 years, Yuni would be completely lambasted.

It's embarrassing that he is blocking someone else for playing time that may have a spot on this team in the future. Yuni should not be any part of our future plans, but knowing how much Melvin and our manager love the guy, I can see him back next year, and probably the year after.

We may be a last place team, but playing a guy like Yuni at any offensive position ever (1B or 3B) just seems like we are giving up, and have nothing better waiting in the wings. This veteran loyalty is so misplaced in this situation, yet he continues to be used, when there have to be countless other options. If Yuni is the best we can offer, then we truly are in dire straits.

I am still having a hard time believing that you are honestly defending our use of Yuni on this MLB team. I think you are just messing with us, trying to get reaction...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yuni hits for power. There is no AAA guy waiting in the wings getting blocked who is going to be as versatile and put up double digit home runs as Yuni's replacement. Scooter Gennett? Jeff Bianchi? Blake Lalli? Sean Halton? They have all had their chances, and aren't proving to be much better. It has nothing to do with veteran loyalty. It has to do with putting a healthy guy out there with major league experience that can play the role day in and out. Even Roenicke has been quoted “Yuniesky Betancourt is better than our in-house options.” People who think they can manage a team using a "Baseball reference" website and watching from the sidelines wouldn't understand that.

Yuni may be terrible but I would wager that zero of our current organizational infield prospects ever match his 4187 career major league plate appearances. Draw whatever inferences you see fit from this particular suspicion.

The funny thing is that many of them will still have a higher cumulative career WAR and with every game Yuni sets that bar lower and lower.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yuni hits for power. There is no AAA guy waiting in the wings getting blocked who is going to be as versatile and put up double digit home runs as Yuni's replacement. Scooter Gennett? Jeff Bianchi? Blake Lalli? Sean Halton? They have all had their chances, and aren't proving to be much better. It has nothing to do with veteran loyalty. It has to do with putting a healthy guy out there with major league experience that can play the role day in and out. Even Roenicke has been quoted “Yuniesky Betancourt is better than our in-house options.” People who think they can manage a team using a "Baseball reference" website and watching from the sidelines wouldn't understand that.

But you're qualified to make these calls because you simply looked at his HR total and decided that he's a good option for the Brewers? Not only this year but going into 2014?

If Yuni B is on this team in 2014 I will be highly disappointed. I think the Brewers will be able to replace his 13 homeruns relatively easy, and do it on the cheap.

But you're qualified to make these calls because you simply looked at his HR total and decided that he's a good option for the Brewers? Not only this year but going into 2014?

If Yuni B is on this team in 2014 I will be highly disappointed. I think the Brewers will be able to replace his 13 homeruns relatively easy, and do it on the cheap.

I don't get to make the calls by any means, and never claimed to. Melvin and Roenicke do. They are qualified, and they decided he was a good option. If they decide to bring him back or not for 2014, I'll support their decision because they have the tools to analyze and judge his value. 13 home runs (assuming Yuni has no more HR) from one bench player will not likely happen for cheap IMO. Maybe between 2 or 3 bench guys.

I think the strongest evidence to date Melvin and The manager should be fired is the fact Yuni is still around. I think it proves they are not qualified to be making decisions for a MLB team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Melvin picked Yuni over Donnie Murphy, who isn't doing very well in Miami, in spring training.

"I've talked to Donnie Murphy and told him there would probably be no opportunity for him on the big-league club."

"Yuni can come in and back up the three infield positions, give us a bat off the bench. He's got more experience than Donnie and we thought that's important."

"He loves to play the game and do whatever he has to," Melvin said. "I see his bat coming off the bench. He has a first baseman's glove now. He can fill in if we have an injury. He's a veteran guy who can go in and fill in those spots and we don't have to DL a guy when you've got a guy like Yuni. He's still a very good player. We were fortunate to get him here at the end of spring training."

I believe I've heard Attanasio speak highly of Yuni as well on the air as well and he certainly had no objections to the signing. So, its not just Melvin and Roenicke. Closer to the team and the situation, they all obviously see things differently than the complaining fans.

Archived