Brewer Fanatic

All Things Yuni

splitterpfj
I believe Yuni was 4 for 5 just a couple days ago. Go figure people are already out for blood after a couple of bad games.

trolls bein trolls

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a hard time believing Prince would be worse at SS, 2B or 3B than Yuni. I don't particularly care about the clubhouse at this point. It's a bunch of young guys who are eager to play in the bigs, they don't need Yuni's happy sunshiney-ness.

And these young guys need guys in the clubhouse to show them how to handle a long season like this, or any 162 game season. Lots of ups and downs in every season, and the young guys need to be shown how to deal with it.

And do you really think that Josh Prince, with a career minor league OPS of .670, is going to be better than Yuni?

I have a hard time believing Prince would be worse at SS, 2B or 3B than Yuni. I don't particularly care about the clubhouse at this point. It's a bunch of young guys who are eager to play in the bigs, they don't need Yuni's happy sunshiney-ness.

And these young guys need guys in the clubhouse to show them how to handle a long season like this, or any 162 game season. Lots of ups and downs in every season, and the young guys need to be shown how to deal with it.

And do you really think that Josh Prince, with a career minor league OPS of .670, is going to be better than Yuni?

Perhaps not, but I'd think getting rid of the veteran security blanket might be good for teaching Roenicke how to work with and use young players who might struggle some initially. It's easy to be patient with a Jean Segura. The fact that Davis and Halton rotted on the bench so that Yuni B could play is all on Ron.

If Ron treated Yuni B like the last man on the bench, then perhaps his clubhouse presence would be a plus. As it is, he's taking playing time away from guys that might be part of the future. That has to stop.

What exactly is Yuni going to show them? He doesn't speak English, so they can't ask him and do we really want them emulating Yuni on the field? There is no logical reason for Yuni to be on the team.

We have enough old guys in Ramirez, Lohse, and Gonzalez. Still, this is the coaching staff's job. If they can't handle it, they can pay Yuni $50K to be the Director of Dealing With Failure. However, I really wouldn't advocate putting Yuni in that role, as he frequently appears apathetic.

I know everybody likes to rip on the guy, but he did just homer to give us the lead.

Yay Brewers!

edit: Cue "Blind Squirrels Find Nuts" photos and gifs.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I know everybody likes to rip on the guy, but he did just homer to give us the lead.

Yay Brewers!

Look out. Love or even mild respect for Betancourt is outlawed around these parts. Regardless, expect Melvin to have Yuni on the bench next year at a cheap price.

I believe Yuni was 4 for 5 just a couple days ago. Go figure people are already out for blood after a couple of bad games.

Yes a 4 for 5 game that reading the IGT Yuni benefitted from what could have been 2Errors and another hit that wasn't anything due to solid contact which means he should have been 1 for 5 w/o the luck.

And with a "Coors Field" HR I'm sure Yuni just saved himself a full season ride along vs. being waived at some point.

I too don't get it. This is a guy with a current -2WAR an OB% that is going to fall nearly 30 pts! below the ML Average. Batting Avg.!!

Let's not just debate his offensive woes because that is actually the positive to him. He's a defensive eye sore!

Why continue trotting this guy out there? I mean, as a Brewerfan, in a lost season, does anyone go to the ballpark/watch games for anything exciting that Yuni may give us? No. He's a Negative WAR player! Give me Bianchi/Prince anyone younger who just may provide some kind of excitement to watch. I think we've pinched enough out of Yuni for what we paid him on the season that it's time to let him go! How anyone defends a guy worth less than a Replacement level player really makes no sense!! Yuni would be the worst player projecting further Negative WAR than any single player on the 2002 Brewers! So being a fan of Yuni is supporting the idea of putting a team out on the field that is the worst in Franchise history!

Look out. Love or even mild respect for Betancourt is outlawed around these parts. Regardless, expect Melvin to have Yuni on the bench next year at a cheap price.

Its hard to take anything you say seriously because I cannot believe you actually think Yuni is a solid choice for this team, or any team for that matter.

Yay Brewers!

Its hard to take anything you say seriously because I cannot believe you actually think Yuni is a solid choice for this team, or any team for that matter.

I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me or not, but I . . . . heck I don't even know what to say. Perhaps I should have used the blue font so others would not have taken the comment so seriously. Or personally.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

What exactly is Yuni going to show them? He doesn't speak English, so they can't ask him and do we really want them emulating Yuni on the field? There is no logical reason for Yuni to be on the team.

Nine players on the roster were born in Latin America, including Segura, Peralta, and Gomez. I think they can communicate with Yuni just fine.

Nine players on the roster were born in Latin America, including Segura, Peralta, and Gomez. I think they can communicate with Yuni just fine.

I'd love to have Yuni teaching Gomez and Segura his time-tested approach at the plate.

I agree, without any snark intended, that Yuni must be a great clubhouse presence. Sometimes guys just keep getting chances their production doesn't warrant, and you just know that those guys can't be jerks. Also, LouisEly makes a good point that Yuni's Spanish is likely an asset in this clubhouse. It's more important to be a good person than a good MLB player, and Yuni has my presumptive respect as a human being.

All of that said, the fact that Yuni ever put on a uni (sorry) for the Brewers this year is a dramatic failure of management. If you need more clubhouse guys, find ones who can play, or figure out how to get more leadership out of the guys you have. For one thing, it's a truism in sports that bad players usually can't function as leaders, because performance speaks first among athletes. But beyond that, a good organization doesn't waste a roster spot, let alone hundreds of PAs, on a good guy who can't play. He isn't a coach; he isn't making coach money. What he's making are outs, at a historic pace for his (involuntary shudder) position.

I get that the Brewers' 1b and 3b situations were perfect storms in April, with two men down at each position. But for goodness' sake, don't waste veteran money on a guy who has lost games for his teams year after year. If you aren't happy throwing Morris or Halton out there, or making Khris Davis pick up the 1b glove, then find some AAAA guy whom you can pay the minimum and maybe break even in the W/L column. I've defended DM on a lot of scores, because I think he does some important things well. But getting Yuni this year is indefensible.

I was at the game last night. Yuni made some sparkling plays defensively at 3B.

Then what are we waiting for, lock him up with an extension for next year, or better yet, lock him up for the next 4 years, before someone else scoops him up!!!!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yuni is one of those hot and cold guys. However, the guy can hit homers. This year he hits a homer every 24.8 AB. Ryan Braun was one every 25 AB this year. Carlos Gomez hits one every 21.9. The guy obviously needs to work on several facets of his game, but he won't get there riding the bench all the time during a lost season., regardless if fans want AAA players taking his place. Stat nerds love to goof on Yuni, but Melvin knows that the guy has inherent value in being versatile and having some power. Both the Brewers and Royals have brought him back, so the GM's know more than the haters.

[sarcasm]Yuni is one of those hot and cold guys. However, the guy can hit homers. This year he hits a homer every 24.8 AB. Ryan Braun was one every 25 AB this year. Carlos Gomez hits one every 21.9. The guy obviously needs to work on several facets of his game, but he won't get there riding the bench all the time during a lost season., regardless if fans want AAA players taking his place. Stat nerds love to goof on Yuni, but Melvin knows that the guy has inherent value in being versatile and having some power. Both the Brewers and Royals have brought him back, so the GM's know more than the haters[/sarcasm].

Better

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yuni is one of those hot and cold guys. However, the guy can hit homers. This year he hits a homer every 24.8 AB. Ryan Braun was one every 25 AB this year. Carlos Gomez hits one every 21.9. The guy obviously needs to work on several facets of his game, but he won't get there riding the bench all the time during a lost season., regardless if fans want AAA players taking his place. Stat nerds love to goof on Yuni, but Melvin knows that the guy has inherent value in being versatile and having some power. Both the Brewers and Royals have brought him back, so the GM's know more than the haters.

I seriously don't know if you are just teasing us, or you are the one and only Yuni fan on this board.

I'm confused.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I guess I fail to see how the stats don't show the Yuni is one of the worst players I the majors. Has nothing to do with being a nerd.

It isn't just the stats either. He doesn't even pass the eye test. He was pretty much widely known as a bad ballplayer for years in all circles. Stats, scouts, everything.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The guy obviously needs to work on several facets of his game, but he won't get there riding the bench all the time during a lost season.

You make it sound like he's a 21 year old stud prospect instead of the 31 year old journeyman that he is.

Archived