Brewer Fanatic

Positive thoughts thread 2013

Patrick425

I, by nature, am by no means a glass is half full type guy, but wow, visiting Brewerfan lately is very depressing. Oh no, they signed Lohse! Oh no, AGon is going to be play first! Oh No, the between inning entertainment at Miller Park is going to be irritating!, Oh no, MLB is targeting Braun! Hey, let's find a "whipping boy" since we already know this season is going to be a disaster!

Some of you need to come down off the ledge already.

Next week is opening day. Whether your the Astros or the Angels, or any team in between, it's supposed to be a time of optimism. Every team is tied for 1st. Sports can be very unpredictable and that's what makes it fun. 15 seeds can make it to the sweet 16. I for one am looking forward to the beginning of the season and meaningful games being played starting next Monday.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES! POSITIVE!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Get ready for a bunch of posts in blue.

I'm with you. Go Brewers.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This forum in general has become excessively negative about the team over the past 4 or 5 years which doesn't seem to make sense considering it is probably the 2nd best stretch the team has ever had. I expect us to compete for a playoff spot this year and I expect Lohse to be a large part of the reason we do because we desperately needed more depth in the rotation. I worry that the bullpen is going to ruin another season though so hopefully they do better than I expect.

I always try to be a half full kind of guy (but the realistic part of me always gets in the way) ... But I 100% agree with "Every team is tied for 1st. Sports can be very unpredictable and that's what makes it fun."

Let's go Brewers, it is a long season but here is to hoping we are watching the Brewers play meaningful games in August/September and maybe even October. Go Crew!

This forum in general has become excessively negative about the team over the past 4 or 5 years which doesn't seem to make sense considering it is probably the 2nd best stretch the team has ever had. I expect us to compete for a playoff spot this year and I expect Lohse to be a large part of the reason we do because we desperately needed more depth in the rotation. I worry that the bullpen is going to ruin another season though so hopefully they do better than I expect.

I too think the Brewers will be playing for a playoff spot. Vegas had the Brewers over under at 80.5 games and I bet the over.

I may not have the Brewers as a playoff team, but I don't know how anyone can't believe this team is a contender. The scenario for them winning either the division or wild card is more than plausible. I might not have done the Lohse deal, but I fully acknowledge this makes them a better team this year. That means more fun in 2013.

At the very least...it's almost baseball season!!! Time to get that Brewers love and Cardinals hate going!!! The Brewers will be in LA soon and I'm already planning a trip back to the Good Land this summer...I can't wait.

I'm just happy that the good half of the year is just about to arrive. :) Here's a quote I liked when I saw it in a New York Times column, almost this time last year:

This is what baseball can do to the soul: it has the ability to make you believe in spite of all other available evidence.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The most important thing that has to happen this season is that the Brewers finish ahead of the Cubs and Cardinals. Plain and simple. It would make me even happier if the Cards won only 50 games, but that would be icing on the cake.

While it's too early for true CAPS LOCK ENGAGE optimism, I'm actually more excited for this season than last because nearly every outlet, and many of our fans are counting us out. This squad will prove a lot of people wrong.

Can't wait for Monday.

We need to focus on the positive here I agree.

1. The Lineup. We have zero position battles and that is a good thing. The OF has speed and power and a gold glove CF who may be on the brink of breaking out. The IF has a potential stud at SS and the C position looks set for 7+ years. Solid vets at 1B, 2B & 3B.

2. The Rotation. Yo is gold. Estrada may be a late bloomer who is cheap and could match what Marcum did in his first 4 months in Milwaukee. Lohse could be if he just pitches sub 4 ERA for 2 of the 3 seasons. (BTW it's crazy to think Greinke got 3 more years and $114 more million when Lohse was arguably better the past two seasons.)

3. Young pitching. Fiers, Peralta, Hellweg, Thornburg are not being counted on heavily in a season where we could get to 85-90 wins. They can all be interchanged in one spot (#5)depending on who is performing.

There are a lot of positives here guys. Sure there are things to hate but we aren't the 2002, 2003 or 2004 Brewers here where a 50 or 60 win team is likely. We have a chance at the playoffs. Let's enjoy it!

This team led the NL in runs scored last year, and I think it will be better with a full season of Aoki leading off and hopefully a more productive Weeks and a healthy Lucroy. The bullpen won't be great but I don't see the incessant string of gut wrenching losses that plagued them last year.

Manny Parra is gone, and the last Brewer team that didn't have Parra, won 96 games.

Jean Segura is an exiting young player. Carlos Gomez is one of the most exciting players in the game.

I could go on and on about positives to be excited about.

This forum in general has become excessively negative about the team over the past 4 or 5 years which doesn't seem to make sense considering it is probably the 2nd best stretch the team has ever had.

Same thing happened with the Packers when they turned into a perennial post season team. All of a sudden people looked at what could prevent the team from getting to a Superbowl instead of what could get them there. I think perspective changes when team's expectations go up. The focus is on what could go wrong instead of what could go right. In some ways added negativity from fans is a sign that the team is good enough to have bigger expectations.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm definitely a glass half full guy as many of you many have noticed over the years with my posts. I'm all about giving people the benefit of the doubt and sometimes to a fault am too loyal. I know there are still plenty of questions, but that's fun. Seeing what will happen over the course of 162 games is why we watch baseball. GM's, Managers, and Players can't predict the future so I don't expect them to be perfect. Just do their best and hope we can compete. I think we are in a place where we can compete, so I'm happy!

Go Crew!

That could be right Thurston but I'll be honest, if I had joined this forum for the first time last year I probably would have quit coming to the forum because of how overbearingly negative a large number of posters are about everything. People have every right to post whatever they want but I'd like to see them step back and realize how all that negatively looks to anyone new to the site. I joined the site when the team was always awful and it was never like this back then even when there was a reason to hate how the team was being run and how futile things looked going into every season.

Offense is still one of the best in the league and adding Segura and a whole year of Aoki should only help. Plus Rickie probably won't hit 150 again for 2 months.

It would be almost impossible for the bullpen to blow as many games this year as they did last year.

The rotation, while clearly the biggest question mark, is not without talent and not without numerous options down in AAA and AA if somebody doesn't perform. Gallardo and Lohse is a pretty strong 1/2 and if Peralta and Estrada both have the potential to be above average. The best you can hope for out of Narveson is average probably.

We don't have Krod, Manny, or Loe this year.

The Cards rotation and lineup just doesn't scare me on paper. The Reds were way to healthy last year; that will even out this year. The Pirates still don't have enough talent and the Cubs are still a couple years away.

Even if they suck is there really anything better than tailgaiting and putting back a few with friends?

While it's too early for true CAPS LOCK ENGAGE optimism, I'm actually more excited for this season than last because nearly every outlet, and many of our fans are counting us out. This squad will prove a lot of people wrong.

Can't wait for Monday.

dont worry, I am primed to starty up that thread at 12:01 AM EST on Monday, and caps lock will be engaged

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

With the Astros out of the division they can't be 6th this season. :laughing

That could be right Thurston but I'll be honest, if I had joined this forum for the first time last year I probably would have quit coming to the forum because of how overbearingly negative a large number of posters are about everything. People have every right to post whatever they want but I'd like to see them step back and realize how all that negatively looks to anyone new to the site. I joined the site when the team was always awful and it was never like this back then even when there was a reason to hate how the team was being run and how futile things looked going into every season.

Yea I joined in the early 2000's because it was good to see people look at the future as brightly as I did even though the team was at rock bottom. I'm still one of the optimists here. If we can compete for the postseason more often than not I think we are on the right rack. The more competitive teams you put our there the better shot at getting to the post season. The more post season's we get to the better chance we have of winning one. Since 2005 we have only had three losing records. Recording an overall record of 665-631 over that period. This season appears to have a good shot at continuing that trend.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Okay, I'm on board with excitement for 2013 season to start on Monday! While I am still bummed about losing the #17 draft pick in the first year player draft, I do believe the club will be in the fight for a Wild Card spot this year. I am also looking forward to attending some TimberRattlers games this Summer to watch young players like Tyrone Taylor and Clint Coulter compete. Here is to 2013 being one to remember!
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Verified Member

All right. I'm going to give this a try. It seems there are about 3 active threads that haven't turned into some form of discussion about roster construction or in game management. Anyone still happy that baseball is under way?

Season didn't start how anyone wanted but crazy things happen. Until they're buried, I'm going to choose to believe that this team can manage to hover around 500 until the middle of the order is back in place. I'm going to choose to believe that Estrada's start today will spark a spontaneous streak of great pitching. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.

Archived