Brewer Fanatic

Don't Laugh!....OK, Laugh, But...

For a team that had Prince Fielder anchoring 1B for most of the last decade, it's pretty disheartening to see who's there now.

OK, I know Corey will be back in...May? But until then, I will vomit with rage if I see Alex Gonzalez there on Opening Day. I never counted on Gamel anyway, but given our extremely weak bench, does anyone think, for a low-risk deal - IF he doesn't want to retire - would Carlos Lee be an option at 1B, at leats until Corey's back?

And after that? He could be a solid righty bat off the bench who may even, godforbid, DH or play LF or RF to spell someone, and get maybe 200 at bats.

Alright, I don't expect much. Mark probably spent the last of his extra dollars today. And Carlos probably may just retire, but I'd be more comfortable if we had a professional hitter like a Johnny Damon or a Bobby Abreu off the bench.

Hell, even if Jesus H. Khrys Davis can grab a first baseman's mitt, instead of A-Gon, I'm desperte enough to take it.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I would like almost anyone other than Gonzalez at first, but Carlos Lee was pathetic last year. Basically, he hit like Alex Gonzalez. Personally, since we're going to have two everyday 1B in AAA this season, who both had pretty good seasons last year, why not let one of them hold down the fort for a month. That or let Green finally get some everyday PT to let him sink or swim.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would like almost anyone other than Gonzalez at first, but Carlos Lee was pathetic last year.

He was league average with Houston last year and pretty bad in Miami with most of the drop in SLG. While he isn't anyones long-term solution for anything he has about a 95% chance of exceeding Gonzalez performance. From all indications he Carlos enjoyed Milwaukee and he would have been a better choice as a backup than most of the bench. Yeah I understand the sentiments about Green, but RR is never going to put him in a role to succeed so we might as well move on....

Alex Gonzalez probably would/will out hit Carlos Lee at this point in Lee's career. Lee OPS'd .697 last year. Gonzalez OPS'd before getting hurt .783. Also even though this will be his first time I am willing to bet he will be 10x the fielder Carlos Lee is. Also, fwiw Gonzalez was on pace to hit 25 homers last year. Carlos Lee hit 9.

Archived