Brewer Fanatic

The Kyle Lohse Love/Hate Thread

reillymcshane
If we wanted a legitimate shot to compete this year, you had to make this signing. Our rotation was basically Gallardo and a bunch of #4 starters. That wouldn't get it done.

How much impact would this signing have, really? I don't think going from 79 to 83 wins isn't going to get this team to the playoffs.

Obviously the Brewers feel they have a better team than 79 wins. If the bullpen is even slightly better and the lineup is nearly as good that should put them in the mid to upper 80's in wins

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we wanted a legitimate shot to compete this year, you had to make this signing. Our rotation was basically Gallardo and a bunch of #4 starters. That wouldn't get it done.

How much impact would this signing have, really? I don't think going from 79 to 83 wins isn't going to get this team to the playoffs.

Obviously the Brewers feel they have a better team than 79 wins. If the bullpen is even slightly better and the lineup is nearly as good that should put them in the mid to upper 80's in wins

I think that's been the story quite a few times. The Brewers feel as if they're close to contending for a playoff shot and nabs an aging FA pitcher. They don't make the playoffs.

Well... The Brewers should be better this year. That's a good thing.

/thinking positive and removing the toaster from the edge of my tub.

Help me get excited about this.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

So nobody wants him, it's almost time for the season to start and the best we can do is 3 years/33 million? Really? What was the asking price two months ago?

Ken Rosenthal had recently reported that Lohse wanted to top the deal Dempster got in Boston, which was 2yrs/27m I believe.

I'm pretty mixed about this signing. It makes us a better team this year, but I sure wish it was a 2 year contract.

The anger over this signing is causing rapid fire responses so I will repeat myself from an earlier post because I think it warrants real discussion...if you were willing to sign Lohse, fine. But why make this signing less than a week before Opening Day?? He still got $11/per apparently which isn't such a great deal to not have made this contract work 3 weeks ago.

When will he be ready??

Do you realize how silly that sounds?.....He is a Brewer now.....you root for him...especially if he does well.....come on...

Nooooooooooo!

Lohse is trash. I have never hated a move this team has made since Doug and Mark took over but I hate this. I don't care if Kyle wins a Cy Young this year I will hate him and boo him every chance I get.

Nooooooooooo!

Lohse is trash. I have never hated a move this team has made since Doug and Mark took over but I hate this. I don't care if Kyle wins a Cy Young this year I will hate him and boo him every chance I get.

Sounds reasonable...

Can someone please explain the "draft bonus money" and how that works, or point me to someplace that explains it? I've been hearing about this in different articles. Is this new? What happens...do teams get bonus money from MLB to use on draft picks?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Do you realize how silly that sounds?.....He is a Brewer now.....you root for him...especially if he does well.....come on...

Nooooooooooo!

I will not root for him. He is a crap pitcher who lucked into a couple halfway decent seasons in a row right before free agency. He will be a bigger bust than Suppan, mark my words and I will boo him to the World Series if I have to.

Lohse is a much better pitcher now than Suppan was his best years, kind of the same guy only with much better control. We signed him for less money as well and for 1 fewer year so I definitely like this more than the Suppan deal. If this didn't come with losing the prospect I'd be ok with the deal. Losing the prospect makes me dislike it but I understand it at least.

Nooooooooooo!

I will not root for him. He is a crap pitcher who lucked into a couple halfway decent seasons in a row right before free agency. He will be a bigger bust than Suppan, mark my words and I will boo him to the World Series if I have to.

thats fine, but you would still boo him if he does good and especially good enough to win a cy young?

The anger over this signing is causing rapid fire responses so I will repeat myself from an earlier post because I think it warrants real discussion...if you were willing to sign Lohse, fine. But why make this signing less than a week before Opening Day?? He still got $11/per apparently which isn't such a great deal to not have made this contract work 3 weeks ago.

When will he be ready??

These are, indeed, the most important questions being asked right now. When will he be ready, and why not sign him 3 weeks ago?

Is this a big reaction to how Fiers looked in Spring Training? Was it becoming evident that they couldn't wait until June 1st to sign Lohse in order to keep that draft pick?

It isn't a horrible signing, to me, because our pitching for 2013 needs the most help. If Segura/Weeks/Gomez hit as well as I think they could, the Brewers could make a postseason run if the pitching isn't terrible

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I am not as angry about this as some people, our pitchers haven't exactly been setting the world on fire during spring training and you only have a limited window to win when it comes to Braun, Weeks, Ramirez, Hart, etc.

I'm not overly thrilled about it though either, especially not at 3 years/33 million. Though, truth be told, I think a lot of us saw this coming. :|

Here's to hoping it works out better than Suppan/Wolf, etc.

What's wrong with not having a legitimate shot for one year? Take your chances with the young guys for one year and if you need to sign a FA next year, do so then. This deal stinks of desperation, and the Brewers are not desperate.

It seems likely that Boras made his appeal at the Brewers' ownership level, convincing Mark Attanasio to make the win-now signing and give up the draft pick.

That is probably a pretty accurate comment.

So, does anyone know if he was on a regime to be ready whatsover? Also, I am not a fan of this deal but man, the last two years have been stellar for him, if we can get anywhere near that for the next two years it's a great signing. I would take a low 4 ERA.

The hate isn't so much because Lohse is a bad pitcher. He's not awful but I also don't think he's as good as he was the last 2 years. The hate is because the Brewers were most likely a mediocre team and he probably won't turn them into a W.S. (or even playoff) contender) and now they lose a draft pick. That draft pick was more valuable to the future. Plus, like others have said, they lose the money attached to that draft slot.

It's ok to not go for it every year. Sometimes you can plan for the future.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived