Brewer Fanatic

The Kyle Lohse Love/Hate Thread

reillymcshane

It's even a question as to whether it was worth giving that pick up? Idk it's plain as day to me, Lohse is the ONLY guy we have that can be trotted out there every 5 days and KNOW 90% of the time he will give a quality start.

Signing Lohse was undoubtedly a great move, and will be brilliant provided he doesn't blow his arm out or some other freak injury.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in the " I was wrong camp." I remembered Loshe sucking it up for the Twins. I figured his success with the Cards was all the Dave Ducan Vodoo/ deal with the devil magic crap and it would all evaporate once Loshe was pitching for the Crew. I did see Soup 2.0. Adding injury to insult was the losing of our coveted 1st round pick ( I am a "our minor leagues aren't with are darn" Kool-aid drinker). Spending free agent dollars to boot and it all added up to a horrible, horrible signing by Doug. But I was wrong.

Loshe has been our best pitcher since he's been here. Would I like to have more impact talent in the minors? Sure,who wouldn't. But the saga of the Wang coupled with the HOPEFUL Lara signing would help the farm. I think the Brewers are using the money they didn't spend on a first round pick last season on the possible Lara signing. And I too would start Loshe as our #1 in any playoff series. I'm happy the I was wrong about Loshe.

Lohse has been everything to the Brewers. As close to an ace as they've had since CC and Greinke because he's just so consistently good. Not only that but he seems to be a leader for the Brewers clubhouse with some of the younger pitches. That's great to hear.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The pick was to much to give up.

So, knowing what you know now, you would rather have a unknown commodity that may or may not help the Brewers in 3,4, or 5 years than someone who is clearly helping the Brewers right now?

I could understand this line of thought last year when the Brewers were not in contention with or without Lohse. However, this year is a different story and Lohse has definitely been a big part of the Brewers success.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator
The pick was to much to give up.

So, knowing what you know now, you would rather have a unknown commodity that may or may not help the Brewers in 3,4, or 5 years than someone who is clearly helping the Brewers right now?

I could understand this line of thought last year when the Brewers were not in contention with or without Lohse. However, this year is a different story and Lohse has definitely been a big part of the Brewers success.

Not to mention what it appears he has been doing for his teammates. Seems like a great clubhouse. Also, there is potential still that he returns us something in a trade. Not saying that will happen, but we will see. He's been great!

I was against the signing at the time, mainly due to having to give up a first round draft pick. However, with how fantastic Lohse has been, it's really hard to stand with my original feelings. He's really been the shot in the arm the Brewers' rotation needed.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree Invader.

I know we sometimes downplay the importance of chemistry and the idea of a clubhouse leader but Lohse seems to be the guy in terms of the pitching staff. His demeanor never much changes and I recall him wanting to take on more of a leadership role this season. I also can no longer stand by original sentiments as Lohse as been about as solid as could be in his year and a half in Milwaukee.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I never cared for the Lohse deal. I felt the Crew would not contend in the window we controlled him (2013-15), so it was foolish to give up the draft pick and money. But the guy has been our best starter since last season, and with the team playing so well, it's certainly turned out pretty good.

As I've gotten to learn more about Lohse, I've liked what he brings to the clubhouse and the pitching staff. He sounds like a guy who really understands pitching - something he says he learned from Duncan. I like that he can bring that to the rest of the team - especially the younger players.

I think if you don't like the deal you are not accounting for the money flow also. Don't downplay the discount we received on his price because we were the only ones willing to part with a a pick and the savings of not spending on the first round draft pick. Whether you want to say that Melvin rolled that money back into making a better current roster or that they used that money for international signings - either way you should be happy.

As for those that say it is only a good signing if the Brewers make the postseason, I can see the logic, but don't agree with it. The Brewers aren't the Astros/Cubs of last year where we knew we would be bad, so it wouldn't have paid to add salary to improve a little. They were a team that could be like this year's team, but Braun, Ramirez, Hart, etc fell apart. He is definitely holding up his end of the bargain.

My biggest concern with the signing was his age. Most players are retired by his age, so I figured we'd get a good year last year, a so-so year this year, and a bad year next year. Thankfully, age hasn't seemed to effect him yet, and hopefully that lasts another season. It'd be nice to have a free agent pitcher signing we could chalk up as a good deal, or at least one that didn't end up with fans calling for the player to be cut midway through the contract.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My biggest concern with the signing was his age. Most players are retired by his age, so I figured we'd get a good year last year, a so-so year this year, and a bad year next year. Thankfully, age hasn't seemed to effect him yet, and hopefully that lasts another season. It'd be nice to have a free agent pitcher signing we could chalk up as a good deal, or at least one that didn't end up with fans calling for the player to be cut midway through the contract.

I agree that I thought he was going to struggle because he was an older pitcher, but I also thought that even if he was good, the Brewers just weren't a good enough team for it to make a real difference.

It was a good signing in retrospect. I was definitely wrong on this one. And like other signings, I think Mark A was the one who pushed this, so for the blame placed upon him for pushing Suppan and other signings like Gagne, I think he deserves a lot of credit for this one.

Lohse has been great, the Brewers are contending this year, and if they did struggle or fall off, you could turn around and trade Lohse and easily make up that 1st round pick.

He's also one of the very few guys who I believe has made a significant impact in the role of "experienced veteran," outside of just his impact on the field. He and Garza seem to have a pretty aggressive and contagious competitive spirit that rubs off on younger pitchers.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived