Brewer Fanatic

Jacobs? Garland?

Garland couldn't strike out a little leaguer and Jacobs hasn't had an OBP over .300 since 2007.

The object isn't to see how many guys you strike out. The object is to win and Garland has done that 132 times in the major leagues.

The guy the Brewers are going to start the season with at first base has a career OBP under .300 and has never played the position.

I read earlier in the week that Garland really looked good this spring but Seattle didn't have room for him and he had an out clause in his minor league deal. I'd take Garland over trading for guys like Harang or Capuano or overpaying Lohse.

Numbers wise Jacobs had a solid spring too and yes he's had OBP well over .300 since 2007, just in AAA.

The guy the Brewers are going to start the season with at first base has a career OBP under .300 and has never played the position.

In the Brewers defense they are just about the only team that would actually start that player at first base.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Garland though. The rotation looks like it may be in trouble.

The object isn't to see how many guys you strike out. The object is to win and Garland has done that 132 times in the major leagues

And your silly Garland fetish rears its ugly head again. This guy is beyond awful at this point. Once every 6 years or so he gets a lucky BABIP and posts above average ERA but almost his entire career has just been a study in futility. He is a poor man's Suppan and at this point in his career we really don't want a poor man's 34 year old Suppan.

Not sure why our rotation is suddenly in trouble either. Nothing has changed about the rotation based on some exhibition games in spring.

The object isn't to see how many guys you strike out. The object is to win and Garland has done that 132 times in the major leagues

And your silly Garland fetish rears its ugly head again. This guy is beyond awful at this point. Once every 6 years or so he gets a lucky BABIP and posts above average ERA but almost his entire career has just been a study in futility. He is a poor man's Suppan and at this point in his career we really don't want a poor man's 34 year old Suppan.

Not sure why our rotation is suddenly in trouble either. Nothing has changed about the rotation based on some exhibition games in spring.

I tend to agree with your last statement and I've always looked at Garland as a solid starting pitcher. He's now a back end guy clearly but now he's also cheap. He's had a solid spring. I'm not advocating signing him now, but it's a consideration if anyone in the current group falters and they want a veteran.

Archived