Brewer Fanatic

Kyle Blanks

What are the chances we trade for someone like Kyle Blanks? He has mashed his whole minor league career, but has had bad luck w/ injuries and is blocked in both LF and 1B. It sounds like he has done well in spring this year, but I'm not sure the Padres have room for him. How do I look up his options status?

I think he'd be a perfect fit as a starting 1B until Hart comes back, and a 1b/LF/PH rh power bat after that.

What do you think about trying to get him?

I think that management think we are set with Gonzalez at 1B until the return of Hart.

It saddens and sickens me that this is the case, but it just seems to be true.

I would be shocked if we add a 1B to our roster at this point, but we sure need to do so!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yes please! Anyone other than Gonzalez starting is preferable but this would be a winner on multiple levels:

1. He fills in for Hart while he is out.

2. He is the backup 1B and 5th OF when Hart returns.

3. Is a power pinch hitting bat off the bench in 2013.

4. Is a potential long term solution at 1B if Hart leaves after 2013.

I would definitely take a long look at him and would be willing to part with a minor league pitcher for him. Always has hit in the minors and maybe just needs a chance in the majors. Sounds like Gamel.

Would we trade Khris Davis for a Mark Rogers type just because Davis is currently blocked and we might not contend?

If they wanted to trade Blanks, I don't think a player like Rogers even comes close to getting it done.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why not? For a team like the Padres who aren't contending, why wouldn't they take a chance on Mark Rogers, especially when Blanks is blocked at every position?

Other than being drafted early in the first round, Mark Rogers really hasn't done much to merit a team "taking a chance on him" if it will cost them anything of value. He has a horrific injury history and his numbers in the minors are not good. The Brewers have a lot invested in him, so they'll try to hold onto him as long as they can in order to get some return from that investment, but other teams don't have that worry.

Unfortunately, I think that if the Brewers tried sending him to the minors, some team would claim him for nothing. I hoped he could land the #5 starter spot this year to see if he has put things together, but he can't throw a strike this spring, so the Brewers really can't put him in the rotation as he'd be an automatic loss/bullpen burner every time out.

Blanks is about the same age as Rogers, and while Blanks hasn't lived up to his promise as a Major Leaguer (.737 OPS in 146 games/425 ABs), he has a .905 career OPS in the minors and has monsterous power. He would definitely be someone to target, and I'd certainly trade Rogers for him right now, but I don't think the Padres would make that trade, especially with Blanks having a good spring. I think if he got out of the hitter's purgatory in San Diego he'd put up good numbers.

You are correct that Blanks is blocked in SD, and he makes sense for the Brewers who need a 1B and his presence on the MLB roster would allow Davis to play full-time in AAA. I'm sure we could make a deal for one of our minor league pitchers, but you'd have to give up some value. Maybe someone who projects to be a mid-to-back-of-the-rotation starter who's a fly-ball pitcher, which would play well in SD, but not in Miller Park.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not even sure Rogers would get taken if we put him on waivers, he is completely worthless as a trade chip. He hasn't shown anything in his entire professional baseball career. Even back in 2006 in rookie ball he walked too many to be a viable starter. The only time he has ever had any trade value was right after we drafted him. He is a sunk cost they are praying to get something out of at this point.

Blanks is definitely someone I'd like to have on the team. I have no clue what the Padres want for him and I think you are fooling yourself if they think they view the team as not competing this season. That team has a lot of young talent, has a decent upside player at every single offensive position, they have a really solid bullpen. They just need some luck with the pitching to feel they can compete. It will take Cashner and Luebke returning from injury and pitching to their talent level but that team could easily be in the wild card race if everything goes well. It most likely won't be but it isn't a team like the Astros who should be giving up already.

Even if it costs teams nothing, spots on the 25 man roster are too valuable to give one to a 27 year old with a spotty injury history and only flashes of the talent that made him a number one pick. Thats why I believe it's quite likely the Brewers could get Rogers through waivers. He's not a top prospect. Teams are now looking how to get down to 25.

I feel bad for him. Just when it seeemed he had arrived with 3 straight wins last year, the Brewers shut him down as if he's in Strasburg's class. Inexplicable.

Even if it costs teams nothing, spots on the 25 man roster are too valuable to give one to a 27 year old with a spotty injury history and only flashes of the talent that made him a number one pick. Thats why I believe it's quite likely the Brewers could get Rogers through waivers. He's not a top prospect. Teams are now looking how to get down to 25.

I feel bad for him. Just when it seeemed he had arrived with 3 straight wins last year, the Brewers shut him down as if he's in Strasburg's class. Inexplicable.

Rogers was pitching well and they they had to go and extend him past 125 inning as if his pitching last year mattered. Inexplicable.

I love Kyle Blanks and I have advocated trading for him in the past a few times. I wonder if the Padres would take Fiers for Blanks and either James Darnell or Brad Boxberger. Not a great haul for Fiers but the Brewers would be getting a decent prospect about the same value wise as Fiers in Boxberger.

Fiers would be someone who would thrive at Petco and in the NL West as long as he doesn't have to pitch to many games in either Colorado or Arizona.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not even sure Rogers would get taken if we put him on waivers, he is completely worthless as a trade chip. He hasn't shown anything in his entire professional baseball career. Even back in 2006 in rookie ball he walked too many to be a viable starter. The only time he has ever had any trade value was right after we drafted him. He is a sunk cost they are praying to get something out of at this point.

Blanks is definitely someone I'd like to have on the team. I have no clue what the Padres want for him and I think you are fooling yourself if they think they view the team as not competing this season. That team has a lot of young talent, has a decent upside player at every single offensive position, they have a really solid bullpen. They just need some luck with the pitching to feel they can compete. It will take Cashner and Luebke returning from injury and pitching to their talent level but that team could easily be in the wild card race if everything goes well. It most likely won't be but it isn't a team like the Astros who should be giving up already.

So Rogers has absolutely ZERO value as a trade target despite looking absolutely dominant at times last year, albeit in limited action, but Blanks is a definitely someone you would want, but Fiers is just way too much to give up for him?

Rogers came in last year and was showing a big time mid to upper 90's fastball, and a dominant put away off-speed pitch. A pitcher, even with his shoulder surgery how many years ago and then the carpal tunnel which there is no reason to believe will come back, I highly doubt he'd make it through waivers.

I don't think a trade of a pitcher with Rogers talent and incredible stuff would be a ridiculous return for a player who's also 26 and has shown nothing in the big leagues himself.

Just the risk(very low for a guy like Blanks) vs Reward(very high for a guy like Rogers makes the suggestion that not only would this trade not be considered, but that Rogers may not even be claimed on waivers.

Rogers lost a couple years to injuries, the latest obviously the carpal tunnel, however that's not a risk moving forward. If you can pick up a guy with his strikeout ability and his potential velocity on waivers, I'm guessing there would be plenty of teams biting.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...
Fiers is way too much to give up for Blanks at this point imo.

I wonder if it still would be too much to give up for Blanks?

Are you saying the Padres might give the Brewers... a break?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fiers is way too much to give up for Blanks at this point imo.

I wonder if it still would be too much to give up for Blanks?

Are you saying the Padres might give the Brewers... a break?

I wish. I have wanted to get Blanks on this team ever since Prince left for FA and a little bit before that. It would take a whole lot more than Fiers to get Blanks now you are probably looking at someone like Hellweg plus Nelson and a couple of other players to get Blanks.

It would take a whole lot more than Fiers to get Blanks now you are probably looking at someone like Hellweg plus Nelson and a couple of other players to get Blanks.

Wha...?? For a guy who can only play LF or 1B, has only a 1.8 WAR this year, and never dominated in the minors (considering he played in the Cal/Texas/PCL leagues, notorious hitters paradises)?

Archived