Brewer Fanatic

Lineup

MVP2110
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzalez is hitting 5th tonight, lol.

You have got to be kidding me...

and the joke gets even funnier with Gonzalez batting clean-up tonight.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The decision to enter this MLB season with zero first basemen on this roster is stupid, 100% asinine.

I simply can not believe that a MLB baseball team can think it is going to work out to enter a brand new season with not one single 1B on the roster. Would any other team in MLB do what we have done? Has any other team ever done this previously?

It is beyond asinine, I just can't think of another word to describe it.

It is asinine infinity...

How many games are we going to have to see this insanity? Will we go another 2-3-4-7 games with Ynui at 1B and Gonzalez at 3rd?

This just kills me, and completely taints the excitement I felt for the beginning of the season. I am seriously wondering if Doug Melvin has worn out his welcome with the Milwaukee Brewers. I can't stand the idiocy any longer.

This is exactly why it bothered me so much to see Yuni signed. The day we signed him, we were one injury from him becoming a full time player, and it looks like that has already happened 4 games into the season.

We need a 1B to stabilize the infield. This is ridiculous.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What kind of a line-up is that? Holy crap! Somebody just shoot me now. Oh my god..

Shouldn't the fact that Gomez just got 25 million dollar commitment from the Brewers mean he's earned the right to be moved up in the line-up? Or did we just pay him 25 million because of his defense? I would seriously ask this question to the Brewers brass and sound pissed off doing it. This is just stupidity by RR and I'm one of his biggest supporters of his defensive shifts and aggressiveness style of play, but I can't defend him on this and he deserves the scrutiny. I'm so confused.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Heck, start Josh Prince at 1B. We know what we are going to get in Yuni B and Gonzalez, and just the uncertainty makes Prince the better option.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

They're not pitching well either, which probably means that the lineup hasn't cost them a game yet, but certainly this is not the way to start the season.

But, yeah, I don't want to ever see Yuni B at 1B again. Call up Halton or Morris and be done with it. At least they can play the position.

I like Melvin, I always have, I have defended almost every move and never asked for him the be fired. I have to tell you, I am getting close to believing that he has to go. Im not there yet, because I like his overall philosophy, but if I have to watch Gonzalez and Betencourt as our corner infielders a few more times with one of them batting cleanup, Im going to lose my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Switch Weeks and Segura and I like it.

I'm sorry but he has it right. Segura is a better hitter than Weeks and faster. Segura needs to stay at #2 in the order.

Looking forward to June...True or False. This is the best lineup in baseball:

1) Aoki

2) Segura

3) Braun

4) Ramirez

5) Hart

6) Lucroy

7) Weeks

8) Gomez

False. Definitely top 10 for me, maybe top 5.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Going forward, no way Segura projects to be better than Weeks at this point. Happy to throw down some money to a good cause to whomever wants to put their money where their mouth is. $50 to the charity of your choice.

It's easy to be 100% sure when you are anonymously sharing your opinion but everyone shuts up when they have some actual skin in the game. Someone, prove me wrong :) Weeks won a charity $50 last year, so I have a good streak going.

rluzinski,

I'd bet you 2 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but I just can't stop eating them. I'm going to disagree with you and just hold firm to my belief that Segura will be a better hitter than Weeks this season. Segura just combines plus contact w/ plus speed to not be highly productive at the plate and on the base paths. The kid obviously knows what he's doing at the plate, and he's only 23 years old. Amazing. He's not going to put up Weeks power numbers or walk as many times as Weeks (I could be wrong about this part), but he can make up for it in other ways. Segura is going to be a hitting machine. The strike outs will obviously be a lot less than Weeks.

I'll put it this way if Segura bats ahead of Braun at the #2 spot he will be more productive at the plate than Rickie Weeks. If Weeks bats at the #2 spot and Segura bats after Hart/Lucroy, then it will be close, but I see Weeks coming out on top (only if he gets his act together and gets back to previous form).

I'm not the first one to mention that Braun might move to first later in his career, and he has plenty of experience in the infield from college and the minors, so why not try out Braun at 1st and give Schafer some playing time in LF until Hart comes back (elligible May 30)?

PROS

1) LESS PLAYING TIME FOR BETANCOURT & GONZALEZ

Although Betancourt has had a good week, Gonzalez and Yuni at the corners is a pretty scary offensive scenario until A-Ram & Hart return. This move would push one of them to 3B and the other to utility infielder and when A-Ram comes back- they'd both be backups instead of one of them continuting to start at 1B (for another month and a half!).

2) MORE PLAYING TIME FOR SCHAFER

Logan Schafer is ready to play at the major league level. problem is he's blocked by three outfielders who are all signed at least through 2016. Roenicke & Melvin are both high on him http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-will-use-schafer-to-cover-the-outfield-as-backup-q59ac14-200152791.html, but that doesn't mean anything if he doesn't have a chance to start hitting against major league pitching (see Gamel). Judging from his production at AAA and a great spring, he should at least provide whatever Yunizalez is projected to over the next six weeks, and considering his higher ceiling at this point in his career, has the potential to offer much more.

3) IMPROVED OUTFIELD DEFENSE

Immediately, i'd put that outfield as third best in baseball behind Atlanta & the Angels. Schafer is an excellent defender and paired with Gomez (gold glove calliber guy) and Aoki (CF in Japan), you'd have three CFers out there covering some major ground.

CONS

1) HOW WOULD IT AFFECT BRAUN?

would Braun be up for it? and if so, would that affect him negatively in any way. don't want to mess with Braun, but then again, he's one of the most mentally tough athletes there is.

2) DOWNGRADE DEFENSIVELY AT 1B

This could be argued, because although Yuni & Gonzo should have great infielding instincts fielding the ball, they too are relatively new to the postion, and may not be that much of a downgrade from what Braun could offer.

SUMMARY

This is basically saying, even assuming all things a wash defensively, Schafer adds more offensive potential and long-term development potential to our team than Yunizalez.

I was thinking about how good this lineup could be if/when Hart and Ramirez return. We honestly wont have a weak spot up and down the lineup. Weeks will rebound in all likelihood. 1-8 that is a very good group of hitters.

Can we at least give Weeks a month before getting on him? He will be fine.

I'd bet on Weeks hitting better from here on out, but Segura has a bit of a lead built up. I'll take Segura for BA, Weeks for just about everything else.

I'm fine giving Weeks time as we don't have many other options (though he does need a day off)...but for the love of everything holy, please move him out of the 4 spot. I know we don't have any prototypical power bats to put there, but does it really matter at this point? Anyone that can get some hits would be a better option. It's clearly in Weeks head at this point too.

Yeah...his one hit was a pop up that just happened to land in the exact right spot.

Have you seen that even with that hit, he's 5 for his last 46, with 4 walks? He's reached 9 times out of his last 50 plate appearances. That's less than 20% of the time. Also struck out 20 times during that stretch.

And Carlos Gomez, his first 37 PA's got on base 6 times and didn't walk once. Why wasn't anyone calling for Logan Schafer?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Can we at least give Weeks a month before getting on him? He will be fine.

Yeah, it only took him 49 games last year to get his OPS above .600 and this year he's younger so.....

Man! It's almost like he still wasn't 100% from some pretty brutal injury he suffered late in the previous season...

.269/.345/.468/.812 line over his final 97 games last season -- after .162/.302/.282 ./584 in his first 60. You tell me which slash line looks like his career norms.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived