Brewer Fanatic

Lineup

MVP2110

I didnt know if to put this in the what is your lineup thread but anyways RRR pretty much annoucned our lineup today.

Aoki

Weeks

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Gonzalez

then he said he is debating between Gomez and Segura for who will bat 7th & 8th. I like the front 5 but then I would go Gomez Segura Gonzalez assuming those are the 8 starters

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzalez as our 1B is beyond a joke. Much like the rotation and Rogers v. Narveson, give the younger, more talented player in Taylor Green the 1B spot and sink or swim with him until plays his way out of the job or until Corey comes back.

That's a good point. If the Brewers don't think Green is capable of at least matching the ~.700-.750 OPS you get from González, then he probably shouldn't be on the 25-man roster.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gomez or Segura batting in front of the pitcher is dumb. Both of them have great speed and have the ability to steal bases. You aren't going to steal many bases with the pitcher up. If they reach first, the pitcher will be bunting most of the time, or if there is two outs, you can't risk getting caught stealing and having the pitcher leadoff the next inning.

You're taking away the strengths of those guys by handcuffing them from stealing when they reach base. Gomez best offensive weapon is his legs and they need to put him in a position to utilize that, not take it away from him by having the pitchers spot due up after him. It makes no sense at all. Until Hart comes back, whoever is playing 1b should be batting 8th, plain and simple.

Not only that, if you're trying to develop Segura, I don't think the 8 spot is the place. Batting 8th can be tricky. When to expand the zone, when to look for walks, etc. He should be placed in a spot where he can just go up there and hit, and not worry about who is hitting behind him. Gonzalez needs to hit 8th if they insist on being dumb enough to start him at 1b.

Gonzalez as our 1B is beyond a joke. Much like the rotation and Rogers v. Narveson, give the younger, more talented player in Taylor Green the 1B spot and sink or swim with him until plays his way out of the job or until Corey comes back.

Agreed. Stick Khris Davis at first... or move Braun back to third, with Davis in left and A-Ram at first.

Agreed. Stick Khris Davis at first... or move Braun back to third, with Davis in left and A-Ram at first.

Oh goodness...I'm the biggest Ryan Braun fan in the world, but there is no way he should move back to the infield, ever. Maybe late in his career he can go to 1B, but there is no way he should ever play third base again.

I like the idea of moving Davis to first, but the team seems reluctant to do it for whatever reason.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why in the world would the Brewers move Braun back to 3B? I'm so confused right now and it's way too early for this.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

For whatever reason, our management can't get past starting an old, just off of major surgery SS at 1B. It's asinine really when you think about it.

It infuriates me to no end that this is what we are going to go into the season with.

Might as well bury Green, this pretty much says we think you suck and you have no possible future with this team.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It is hard for me to get too upset about Green not playing considering I think he will fail at a full time role. I'd love to see Morris or Davis handed the job assuming Davis can play 1B which I honestly have no clue if he can. I don't think you throw a rookie who has never played a position into the role though, that is a bit too much to ask.

The Brewers better not throw Rogers in the rotation just because he is young though, he has looked awful this spring, was awful in the minors last year and the good stretch he put up in the majors was full of red flags. If Narveson throws a couple more good games I fully expect him to get that role.

I don't understand RRR's fascination with Gonzalez. I don't really have a problem with him playing some 1B, but he should definitely hit 8th. Gomez and Segura shouldn't be in front of the pitcher right now, because they are base stealing threats. Segura may have to hit 8th when Hart returns, but until then whoever plays 1B should hit there. And Gonzalez shouldn't get all the playing time either.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Gomez or Segura batting in front of the pitcher is dumb. Both of them have great speed and have the ability to steal bases. You aren't going to steal many bases with the pitcher up. If they reach first, the pitcher will be bunting most of the time, or if there is two outs, you can't risk getting caught stealing and having the pitcher leadoff the next inning.

You're taking away the strengths of those guys by handcuffing them from stealing when they reach base. Gomez best offensive weapon is his legs and they need to put him in a position to utilize that, not take it away from him by having the pitchers spot due up after him. It makes no sense at all. Until Hart comes back, whoever is playing 1b should be batting 8th, plain and simple.

Not only that, if you're trying to develop Segura, I don't think the 8 spot is the place. Batting 8th can be tricky. When to expand the zone, when to look for walks, etc. He should be placed in a spot where he can just go up there and hit, and not worry about who is hitting behind him. Gonzalez needs to hit 8th if they insist on being dumb enough to start him at 1b.

Agree with everything here. If we insist on starting Gonzalez, the bottom of the lineup should be 5th Lucroy, 6th Gomez, 7th Segura, 8th Gonzalez or Green, if he ever plays.

Why wouldn't they give Sean Halton a look at 1B until Hart is ready?

...because that is where Gonzalez is going to play.

Once RR has it in his head, it is a done deal.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Based on OPS, Carlos Lee was the worst regular 1B in the National League last year, with an OPS of .697. The next closest was Yonder Alonzo at .741 and Ike Davis at .771 (both playing in pitchers' parks). Loney was terrible, but only got 334 ABs and was replaced.

Who here thinks that Gonzalez will beat a dead caballo and outpace Carlos Lee's lackluster 2012? I guess that's my bar for Gonzalez... to try to outpace a guy who was jeered by the fans of two last place teams last year. It's not much to cheer for, but since Roenicke has named Gonzalez the starter, it's all I've got.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Based on OPS, Carlos Lee was the worst regular 1B in the National League last year, with an OPS of .697. The next closest was Yonder Alonzo at .741 and Ike Davis at .771 (both playing in pitchers' parks). Loney was terrible, but only got 334 ABs and was replaced.

Who here thinks that Gonzalez will beat a dead caballo and outpace Carlos Lee's lackluster 2012? I guess that's my bar for Gonzalez... to try to outpace a guy who was jeered by the fans of two last place teams last year. It's not much to cheer for, but since Roenicke has named Gonzalez the starter, it's all I've got.

This would make a lot more sense if Hart were out for the year. It makes no sense at all for judging what we do for April.

Seriously. the difference between any of the options over 1 month is basically zero.

Here is the ZIPS for the all glove no bat Gonzalez:

.248/.285/.412

Here is the ZIPS for the power bat Moldanado:

.236/.300/.359

And here is the booming 1B/C Lalli:

.249/.299/.348

Oh and AAA 1B Halton:

.243/.300/.375

A platoon with a healthy Green makes the most sense but Green is not healthy. And Davis has the greatest chance of breaking out but they think he can't play 1B and maybe he can't.

Given the lack of good alternatives, I guess I'd be fine with a Green/González platoon at 1B until Hart's back. I just don't think Roenicke can help himself from going with the veteran González fulltime (or close to that).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

A few thoughts after Game 1:

Maybe its just me, but it sure seems like it'd be more logical to have Gonzalez at 3B and Ramirez at 1B, wouldn't it? Gonzalez is much better defensively than Ramirez. (Although I realize now that Ramirez has never played 1B in MLB, I thought he had)

Segura really should be in the 6 or 7 slot and not the 8 spot. Hopefully he gets out of the 8 slot soon

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived