Rotation

MVP2110
1 Gallardo

2 Lohse

3 Estrada

4 Peralta

5 Fiers

I hope Narveson's out. We'll see.

I would highly doubt it as he's out of options and we already have two other lefties in the bullpen. Frankly, based on business and not talent I'd bet Narvy is more a lock to start than even Estrada at this point.

Based on business, Estrada is making more than a million more than Narvy. Narveson is not taking his starting spot.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 Gallardo

2 Lohse

3 Estrada

4 Peralta

5 Fiers

I hope Narveson's out. We'll see.

I would highly doubt it as he's out of options and we already have two other lefties in the bullpen. Frankly, based on business and not talent I'd bet Narvy is more a lock to start than even Estrada at this point.

Based on business, Estrada is making more than a million more than Narvy. Narveson is not taking his starting spot.

I wasn't being literal. They are both locks. My point was that Narveson, all things aside, has about as much job security right now as Estrada. Based on the business it's Fiers or Peralta that's going to go back down. Narvesson can't.

Narveson has been in the 4th spot and Fiers in the 5th spot in the spring order. Lohse has to be stretched out so I assume Fiers will piggyback his starts initially as the 13th guy on the staff. Then depending on how Fiers and Peralta pitch, one will be sent down when Lohse is stretched out and they go back to a 12 man staff. Lohse is number 2 on paper, but I don't see how that plays out in their order initially.

Narveson has been in the 4th spot and Fiers in the 5th spot in the spring order. Lohse has to be stretched out so I assume Fiers will piggyback his starts initially as the 13th guy on the staff. Then depending on how Fiers and Peralta pitch, one will be sent down when Lohse is stretched out and they go back to a 12 man staff. Lohse is number 2 on paper, but I don't see how that plays out in their order initially.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry so much about the order. I'd guess that Peralta's sent down to gain the extra year's service time. If not for Lohse needing some time to get up to speed, I'd guess the rotation would be Gallardo, Lohse, Estrada, Narveson, Fiers.

Looking at Fangraphs, Gallardo and Estrada are similar pitchers in fastball velocity and the mix they throw, so splitting them up is probably a good thing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Is it possible for Lohse to have a couple of rehab type starts in the minors or is that not allowed?

Sounds like he's slotting right in on Thursday. He's been throwing simulated games and was up to over 90 pitches already. I'm sure he'll be good to go.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I project our Rotation will look like this...

Gallardo

Lohse

Estrada

Narveson

Fiers

Peralta goes to Nashville to work on his command...

But damn that's going to be a pretty nice Rotation in Nashville.

Peralta

Thornburg

Burgos

Hellweg

I project our Rotation will look like this...

Gallardo

Lohse

Estrada

Narveson

Fiers

Peralta goes to Nashville to work on his command...

But damn that's going to be a pretty nice Rotation in Nashville.

Peralta

Thornburg

Burgos

Hellweg

Yeah, Nashville fans should by pumped up to watch all those guys. That's a really strong AAA rotation. It's nice to have some pitching depth for a change.

When do you guys think he makes his debut? right now he is most likely to pitch thursday which would line him up for the 2 spot in the rotation but do you think its likely he starts right away against colorado?

Yeah, I think he makes that start. May not go deep in the game, but I doubt they'll wait. Melvin said they might keep 13 pitchers until he proves he can go deep in games. He did say he threw 90 pitches in a scrimmage recently, so I think he'll be good to go.

When do you guys think he makes his debut? right now he is most likely to pitch thursday which would line him up for the 2 spot in the rotation but do you think its likely he starts right away against colorado?

I think Estrada is going to pitch in a minor league game on Thursday (he was scheduled to pitch the MLB game that day). I'd guess that if Lohse looks ready, they'll start him in the second game of the season, with Estrada going on the third. If he needs another game, they could pitch him in "extended spring" and go:

Apr 1 Gallardo

Apr 2 Estrada

Apr 3 Narveson

Apr 4 off

Apr 5 Fiers

Apr 6 Gallardo

Apr 7 Lohse

Apr 8 Estrada

My guess is that unless something looks really wrong on Thursday, he doesn't miss a start. They'll probably carry an extra bullpen arm in case someone (Lohse or otherwise) has a short outing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

All the articles are pointing to the 6th starter going to the bullpen. I would guess that it will be Fiers, since he was the 5th starter before Lohse was signed and he has the most bullpen experience.

Just saw in the recent jsonline article about Lohse, the opening series will be Gallardo, Estrada and Peralta. So I think the 5th starter is down to Fiers and Narveson.

So all that "weighing the present versus the future" Melvin and Attanasio were spouting in their comments about signing Lohse means that an extra handful of starts by 23-year old Peralta this year is worth more than an entire extra year of service from 29-year old Peralta down the road. Just ask JJ Hardy... Melvin certainly knows the rules regarding service time. It would make loads of sense to send Peralta down for a month or so, where he could work on a few things and keep his innings down, and then bring him up once they know they'll get another year out of him.

All the articles are pointing to the 6th starter going to the bullpen.

Several times this spring, Roenicke has noted how tough a decision it is whittling down the 'pen because they have so many good bullpen arms. Now they're going to stick a promising starter in the 'pen. If this is true, I really hope it's only for a week or so. It would be a real shame to waste Fiers as "long man" all year, and then have him not be stretched out when someone goes down.

~Bill Walsh

To anybody thinking that Fiers will make the rotation over Peralta read the following,

He (Fiers) projected as Milwaukee's No. 5 starter until Monday, when the team announced the signing of Kyle Lohse to a three-year, $33 million contract.

Lohse slides into the No. 2 spot, meaning Marco Estrada becomes the No. 3. That leaves Wily Peralta -- who manager Ron Roenicke has already said will start the third game of the season as Lohse looks to work into the rotation for the second series -- Chris Narveson and Fiers battling it out for the final two spots.

The Brewers remain high on Peralta's power style of pitching, and Narveson would be the lone left-hander. That could mean Fiers is left on the outside looking in.

It appears the Brewers will be taking 13 pitchers to Milwaukee, meaning Fiers could move into a long-relief role in the bullpen -- a turn of events he said he'd be fine with it things came to that.

But if they want to keep him stretched out in case someone else doesn't pan out, he might well find himself back at Class AAA Nashville a season after going 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA in 23 appearances (22 starts) for the Brewers.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200295071.html

Peralta is in the rotation to start the season and will pitch in the 3rd game.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I really hope that whoever loses out on the 5th rotation spot doesn't go to the pen, send them down to AAA to keep them stretched out in case Peralta/Fiers struggles. I'm really disappointed that they look like they're going to keep Peralta up, even though I love his upside.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Base on all of this, I'd say send Fiers to AAA to keep him stretched out, and go with Figaro as the long man. I'd prefer just dumping Narveson, but it won't happen. Saving Peralta's service time isn't a bad option either, but I definitely don't mind giving him the shot.

So all that "weighing the present versus the future" Melvin and Attanasio were spouting in their comments about signing Lohse means that an extra handful of starts by 23-year old Peralta this year is worth more than an entire extra year of service from 29-year old Peralta down the road.

With pitcher injury rates what they are I'd say if a guy has built up enough innings to pitch an entire season and looks ready to go out of the gate there's no reason to hold him down and try to game that extra year down the road. At some point in the next 6-7 years he will likely get hurt, so use the bullets while they're there.

I'd send Peralta down but I think sending Fiers down is fine too or even using him in the bullpen as long as they use him every 4 to 5 days and put him in for 2-3 innings per appearance.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Fiers in the pen if they used him properly. I just don't see that happening. Thornburg and Burgos would still be ready in the minors if need be. The unknown factor is Rogers. When he returns he may have to go in the pen. Not sure they'll think ahead to that now, but it could be a reason to just send Fiers to the minors and keep him stretched out.

I hope Fiers wins the spot over Narveson. I really liked Fiers last season, and I think he's a better pitcher than Narveson. Does Narveson have any options left? Otherwise I'd be fine w/ him as the long man.

Mixing up your rotation with a lefty helps the other guys in it. That's why as long as he's performing, Narveson will be in the rotation. I think those of you calling for him to be just dropped or shunted to the bullpen are forgetting that from May of 2010 through most of 2011, he was a pretty solid starting pitcher.

I think Fiers can still get a spot. Peralta is going to get a couple starts out of the gate, but I don't think he's set in stone either. Over the first couple weeks, it's likely there are going to be 2 or 3 short starts and Fiers is going to get some innings. After a couple times through, Lohse will be fully extended and the need for a guy specified as a "long man" will pass. If Peralta were to struggle and Fiers be solid, they'll just send Peralta down and keep Fiers.

Now if both Fiers and Peralta perform and Narveson has a couple bad starts, then I can see Narveson going to the pen. They won't just release him and he doesn't have options. Let's not forget too that Estrada isn't in the "established" category quite yet either. He makes enough where his roster spot is secure, but if he has a string of bad starts, it's not out of the question that he'd end up in the pen too. The only two guys who are starters come h*** or high water are the guys making the big bucks, Gallardo and Lohse.

They have less flexibility than they had before Lohse, but they still have some. Peralta has options and the Brewers have guys in line to take his spot if he doesn't perform. Not just Fiers of course, but Burgos and Thornburg as well if they are dealing in Nashville.

That depth could also come in handy if there is an injury that takes someone out as it did with Narveson last year.

Archived