Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Biogenesis and the Whole Crazy Thing

splitterpfj

I don't see how Braun accepts any deal. He has no choice at this point but to fight this thing to the death IMO. He can't honestly believe they could somehow suspend him for life. Anything less than that he has to fight - the evidence (at least the stuff we know about) is shady at best.

And like I stated earlier, teams just don't abuse the bereavement list, nor do I think MLB would let him go on there so he can do some sort of secret negotiations with them, that seems like something out of a movie or something. That's my take on it at least.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This could work out good for the Crew. When Braun is banned for life, it will free up salary for future players. The only downside is future players will not be any good.

Hey I agree, if MLB does the right thing and gives Milwaukee their draft pick back where Braun was selected. Otherwise no, it's not good for the crew.

It's bad that this could end with Milwaukee losing their Franchise Player completely screwing over the organization. Mark A. should be hellbent against a ban for life and making it known the screw job he's about to incur as an owner. Unless MLB awards him a top draft pick as compensation for his loss of a Franchise player.

Edit Adding: If this happened to me as an owner where I lost Braun my #1 player on the team for life, I'd go full Jeff Loria, trade off every single ML Player I have now through next offseason. Run my team with 40man roster of minimum paid salary of players and take all the revenue sharing pocket it within my fellow owners and exclaim the whole time, I lost my #1 revenue making player on my team, my #1 player overall, this is a business and I was just left with a Lemon of a car sold to me to be in with Braun's suspension.

MLB left me no choice but to make these drastic moves to again find a Franchise Player hopefully from any number of the trades we made or with I'm sure our next 4 years of top 3 draft selections. I'm following the Jeff Loria model, one that has never been frowned upon by MLB so I don't get why I am getting it now. Maybe MLB should have understood what Banning Ryan Braun did to my owned Franchise before doing so. I was the one and only team to lose it's Franchise Player in his prime with their decision and they took no time or thought to understand what it did to me as an owner.

It is kind of interesting that appeals could be in September as that would really mess with the playoffs. Will playoff teams with knowledge of a player appealing try to make a trade as insurance or just hope it drags out until after the playoffs?

I also interpreted that article as saying the MLBPA would fight for less than 50 games for a non failed test suspension. Unless I completely misinterpreted it that certainly throws out the notion that there will be 100 or 150 game suspensions.

I've been following this, really I have, but I still haven't heard what exactly these players did wrong, and how MLB is able to prove it.

Joe, they're all connected to the Biogenesis clinic. They were all given or sold substances that are on the list that MLB and the MLBPA has determined as banned. At least that's what is being reported to us.

Everything is supposed to be confidential, so we're only getting bits of information--of suspect quality.

When MLB announces the suspensions, we'll know more. Until then, we'll get teased along by TJ Quinn and the like.

So MLB will name players before Sept no matter if they have any type of oficial hearing.

They've been having "official hearings" with players, some of whom have chosen to remain silent. If you mean arbitration hearings, who knows. . .

MLBPA says not to expect any suspensions until the 2014 season. Haudricourt's column says Bud Selig says the agreement between MLB and the union allows him to announce suspensions before the arbitration hearings.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/mlb-union-differ-on-timing-of-suspension-announcements-b9955908z1-215754281.html

From what I am understanding suspensions could be just a few games to unlimited amount. The 50game/100game suspension here doesn't apply because there's no failed test. Wonder just how many games it takes for ARod to be suspended for the Yankees to remain under the luxury tax next season?

I am waiting for one of these "clinic" owners to get smart and use the law in their favor. If they simply add an MD to the payroll and make a player seek "treatment" then HIPAA will protect both parties. No way MLB can coerce any information out of them or use it legally. In fact, MLB could be sued for asking said "clinic" anything about what the players received. One thing the Conrad Murray/Michael Jackson fiasco taught us is that you can turn over almost any rock and find an MD to do almost anything as long as they are paid well. Fronting for a "clinic" doesn't even come close to the same level of culpability.

All you need to know about journalistic standards these days is summed up in the news report listing the pilots "names" of the Korean air liner crash in SF. For those that didn't see it, I suggest looking it up. The woman reported that they had confirmed the names with the NTSB. I laughed for 2 days.

ESPN is about on that level.

Should the current approach fail to indict Braun, rumor has it that Bud has scheduled a seance to summon the ghost of Kennesaw Mountain Landis to hire the Pinkertons to solve the problem.

I've been following this, really I have, but I still haven't heard what exactly these players did wrong, and how MLB is able to prove it.

Joe, they're all connected to the Biogenesis clinic. They were all given or sold substances that are on the list that MLB and the MLBPA has determined as banned. At least that's what is being reported to us.

Everything is supposed to be confidential, so we're only getting bits of information--of suspect quality.

When MLB announces the suspensions, we'll know more. Until then, we'll get teased along by TJ Quinn and the like.

I'm still not hearing what these players did wrong and how MLB is able to prove it.

I'm still not hearing what these players did wrong and how MLB is able to prove it.

Receiving PEDs is equal to a positive test per the CBA, and there is a paper trail indicating that some players have done so. That is what they allegedly did that was wrong. Proving that the paper trail / witnesses are reliable is problematic which is why MLB has not announced suspensions. They are trying to get their ducks in a row, and we are not privy to the details on how they are doing it.

Correct me if i am wrong, there were no public documents of Braun being linked to any PED's, but other players clearly had their names connected to specific PED's? Braun's name is just listed with $$ amounts, right?

I haven't stayed on top of this whole thing but I think the only evidence is a list a players with dollar amounts by their name. I don't think they have any paper trail or anything other than list of names and some shady guy who has changed his story a few times. If there were other connections to PED's I've missed them but I'm pretty sure the only connection is that the guy who has the list has some connection to PED's. In terms of Kevin Bacon is seems like about 3rd degree.

Archived