Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Biogenesis and the Whole Crazy Thing

splitterpfj
  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
There is "talk" that MLB will try to ban Braun and A-Rod from the game for life.

http://www.620wtmj.com/sports/milwaukee-brewers/215260041.html?lc=Smart

1) MLB leaks absurd lifetime ban story to dumb media

2) MLB tells Braun: "Ok, but we will accept a plea for a 50-game suspension"

3) MLB (hopefully) gets laughed out of room

4) MLB unable to suspend Braun due to complete lack of evidence; Bug Selig sheds tear; no reasonable fan cares

There is "talk" that MLB will try to ban Braun and A-Rod from the game for life.

4) MLB unable to suspend Braun due to complete lack of evidence; Bug Selig sheds tear; no reasonable fan cares

I agree with you, but if MLB really wants to suspend someone can't they simply do it arbitrarily no matter what anyone else says pretty much? I mean, they fired the last arbiter that didn't agree with their position and it seems to me that the players are making out very well under the current CBA and that they won't walk en masse if they go after Braun. I honestly don't see what is stopping MLB from simply doing whatever they want to do.

What I should have said this should be an interesting week for Braun. But if MLB really had something really on him they would have acted.

As I said before, it's been reported that MLB is waiting to make their cases on every player involved so they can lay down all the suspensions at once. So the fact that they haven't yet really isn't an indication of anything except that they aren't done interviewing all of the players yet and putting together their cases. They still may not have anything on Braun, but even if they didn't they'd wanna try to sully his name as much as they could before that was found out for sure.

And this premise is bogus. (Not your premise, Prince, MLB's) Imagine for a second that Braun would have not been on the Bereavement list and went 4-4 2 HRs, a 2b, and 5 RBIs yesterday and the Brewers beat the Dbacks. Then let's say that the Dbacks lose out of the West and the Wild Card spots by one game at the end of the year. This could happen with any of the 20 guys that are "going to be suspended after the All Star break." MLB needs to put their big boy pants on and suspend the guys IMMEDIATELY if they are, in fact guilty.

Verified Member
Whatever happens, I just can't wait to put this story in the rear view. That way everyone involved (Players, MLB, fans, media, etc.) can just move on. I am sick of these new "stories" and "leaks" every other day. It's getting old.

I couldn't agree more. I'm so sick of it that, in a way, I'm afraid Braun WON'T get suspended and we'll have to do this all over again over some other "leak" or "story". No matter how this turns out, there are no winners here. MLB looks like a child having a tantrum after not getting their way. Braun's reputation is permanently soiled no matter the outcome. All in the name of the "toughest testing in sports". And ESPN which has turned into nothing more than a sports version of Entertainment Tonight could go off the air and no serious sports fan would notice.

http://yanksinexile.com/alex-rodriguez-may-be-seeking-a-plea-deal-after-mlb-meeting-friday/

According to this A-Rod may be in negotions for a plea deal and the best outcome may be a 150 game suspension. A-Rod's missing game on Friday along with R.Braun's bereavement leave, for still unkown reasons, has me believing Braun has been negotiating with his lawyers and MLB this whole time.

Of course the whole bereavement leave could be true and Braun had the right to not comment and the Team could not say anything even if they knew the issue, but when was the last time a player, especially of his stature, went on bereavement leave with no known reason stated. The whole thing seems odd. Even odder, is that not a single person has posted to the topic thread of the initial bereavement announcement. I assume everyone else is either not very inquisitive or they have better manners than me to bring this up in polite company. Probably more of the later than the former.

Arods camp has already denied this. There is so much information coming out on a daily basis that I am just not believing anything until I see the discipline handed down. I am expecting to see Braun the rest of the year regardless because obviously he is going to appeal. I don't see any scenario where Braun "pleads" with MLB to a lower suspension rather than going through his full appeal rights. I could be wrong but Braun has always denied and I have a hard time believing that he would essentially pronounce his guilt.

http://yanksinexile.com/alex-rodriguez-may-be-seeking-a-plea-deal-after-mlb-meeting-friday/

According to this A-Rod may be in negotions for a plea deal and the best outcome may be a 150 game suspension. A-Rod's missing game on Friday along with R.Braun's bereavement leave, for still unkown reasons, has me believing Braun has been negotiating with his lawyers and MLB this whole time.

Of course the whole bereavement leave could be true and Braun had the right to not comment and the Team could not say anything even if they knew the issue, but when was the last time a player, especially of his stature, went on bereavement leave with no known reason stated. The whole thing seems odd. Even odder, is that not a single person has posted to the topic thread of the initial bereavement announcement. I assume everyone else is either not very inquisitive or they have better manners than me to bring this up in polite company. Probably more of the later than the former.

I did find the timing of the bereavement to be curious, but people die every day, and players have every right to be nearest their loved ones when that happens. And while I'd like to know about the details, this is one of many things that fall under the category of "None of My Business".

I did find the timing of the bereavement to be curious, but people die every day, and players have every right to be nearest their loved ones when that happens. And while I'd like to know about the details, this is one of many things that fall under the category of "None of My Business".

I agree that it is none of our business. But...search mlb player and bereavement and every time a player goes on bereavement the reason has been disclosed right away. The player has the right to secrecy but never takes it, because what is the point of not telling the public that you had a death in the family. But then again if I recall, the announcement talked about a family medical issue not an actual death.

I hope all is well with Ryan and/or his family, but there is enough suspiscion for me that this is some kind of smokescreen for something else. We should know in a couple days I guess.

Over the last few weeks I have gone from a fervent Braun supporter, to one that knows in his heart that Braun did it and will get punished hard. For those still clinging to the Braun is innocent angle, trust me, there is actually a peacefull feeling that comes over you when you finally admit to yourself that you believe he did it.

That doesn't mean I condone at all the way MLB has gone about its business and I don't think I can ever watch ESPN and that A$$ Buster Olney again.

Over the last few weeks I have gone from a fervent Braun supporter, to one that knows in his heart that Braun did it and will get punished hard. For those still clinging to the Braun is innocent angle, trust me, there is actually a peacefull feeling that comes over you when you finally admit to yourself that you believe he did it.

I'm glad that you don't run any kind of legal proceedings. I'm not sure how you can "know in your heart" the truth when we barely have any facts.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Really?!? I didn't say that if I was a juror in this case that I would find Braun guilty with the little evidence we have seen. I am saying that I am no longer a denier and have come around to the idea that MLB may have some pretty damning evidence.

Raw Biz so you never believe in anything without hard evidence? So I assume you are not a religious man? You have never just felt like someone was lying to you without any proof to the contrary? We all have beliefs, and make judgements with the facts and circumstances as we know them. My belief at this point is that it is more likely that Braun has been lying than MLB has a trumped up case. You can hide behind the thought that MLB is only out to get Braun because he beat the rap once, but MLB wouldn't be going to the extent it has if they don't feel they have a case.

Why would he have to go on some sort of secret leave to discuss a plea of some kind? He has lawyers for that sort of thing. Or there is ample time during the all star break if they really wanted to meet in person.

The bereavement list isn't something players can just go on for the hell of it, there has to be a documented reason for it. Otherwise teams would try to use it all the time just to get a different player on the roster for a day or two. Now, because Braun's situation has remained private (which he has a right, and it doesn't sound like it was a death), I'm to believe that it's some sort of cover up and that he's really secretly negotiating with MLB?

For Braun to accept any sort of suspension, without an email, he's going to make himself look very foolish. Think about his press conference last year, how can he possibly now come out and say he did it? He can't, he has to fight it. They can say lifetime ban all they want, but the fact is, they'd have to get not one, not two, but three different penalties to stand up through an appeal. On top of that, it would be unprecendented to just skip the first two suspensions. I can't imagine the players union would sit quietly by, and I'm sure lawsuits would follow. I think it's purely a scare tactic by MLB at this point, as they know they have very little and are trying to scare the players into thinking they have way, way more than they do.

Really?!? I didn't say that if I was a juror in this case that I would find Braun guilty with the little evidence we have seen. I am saying that I am no longer a denier and have come around to the idea that MLB may have some pretty damning evidence.

Raw Biz so you never believe in anything without hard evidence? So I assume you are not a religious man? You have never just felt like someone was lying to you without any proof to the contrary? We all have beliefs, and make judgements with the facts and circumstances as we know them. My belief at this point is that it is more likely that Braun has been lying than MLB has a trumped up case. You can hide behind the thought that MLB is only out to get Braun because he beat the rap once, but MLB wouldn't be going to the extent it has if they don't feel they have a case.

You were using an emotional argument which doesn't have much validity. I'm sure plenty of people "knew in their hearts" that Braun would be suspended the first time around, but that didn't happen. It's also a form of "I know better than you" line of thinking. Our belief is largely irrelevant; he either did or didn't use and will either be suspended or he won't be - whether I believe or hope for a certain outcome doesn't matter.

3TO Apostle

Religious discussion has no place here. Thanks.

Jose, I think you will find that the discussion here centers more on what we know vs what we don't know more than what we feel.

So if Braun does a plea deal, is 150 games a best case scenario? ugh

According to one of the baseball sources, MLB is believed to have brought up the possibility of a settlement in its meeting with Braun, who might also consider a deal, as would other players involved.

“That might be a victory for both sides,” said one of the sources, referring to the fact that a plea agreement would preempt the arbitration process and might salvage money and save face for everyone involved in what has become a highly contentious process.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/sources-mlb-cut-deal-rodriguez-article-1.1398168#ixzz2ZA3JVyEw

An FYI on bereavement leave: A death in the family is not required. Serious illness to a qualifying family member is also a valid reason for a player to seek placement on the list.

If there were a death, there wouldn't necessarily be any "harm" in announcing it, but it is a very personal decision to be made by people in the family circle. With illness, it may be even moreso. As JimH5 noted, this really is a "none of my business" thing. I'm virtually certain that there are penalties to be paid for abusing the list in any event, so any conspiracy theories about Braun's situation is probably misguided at best.

“That might be a victory for both sides,” said one of the sources, referring to the fact that a plea agreement would preempt the arbitration process and might salvage money and save face for everyone involved in what has become a highly contentious process.

I don't know who this source is, but anyone who has been paying attention knows that there is no possible outcome to this thing that can be called a "victory for both sides" with anything approaching a straight face. Sounds to me like the spin an MLB guy might put on it in trying to talk a player into accepting a suspension.

Archived