Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Biogenesis and the Whole Crazy Thing

splitterpfj

wasn't part of the joint drug agreement that if a suspension wouldn't be formally announced until an arbitration hearing is completed and the suspension is upheld, whether that be from a failed drug test or from other evidence indicating a player used PEDs? If so, what ESPN is saying basically flys in the face of the JDA, indicating that MLB will announce these pending suspensions prior to any players listed getting an arbitration hearing. If MLB is going to stick their neck out and announce suspensions publicly before arbitration hearings, they better make the evidence they have available to the public also - at least that way the public can view the evidence however they want and come to their own conclusion on this farce of an investigation. Keystone cops would be laughing at this.

Depending on the number of names involved (outside of Braun and ARod), and depending on the evidence presented by MLB claiming these players used PEDs, this debacle could completely circle the drain and lead to a work stoppage and law suits aimed at everyone from all different angles. If all MLB has as evidence is the word of a guy trying to keep his neck out of legal and financial trouble, and no failed drug tests, the players' union is going to be put in a difficult spot. MLB is opening pandora's box if they start suspending players based on what some sleazeball says only, and the union won't sit idly by if there are dozens of players facing suspension without hard proof.

I also think it's ironic that there's almost if not more coverage of this story than Aaron Hernandez. The NFL is just as full if not more full of drug cheats and has a guy formerly from a high profile team who just murdered at least one man.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently it's okay to talk about it because the Biogenesis stuff is out in the open either from the New Times or ESPN. It's all just one huge joke. Turd throwing chimps could've handled this better than ESPN and MLB.

People he and his legal team consulted leaked the information, not his legal team. For example, say he consulted Bosch for information, the leak would have come from someone like him.

That would have required Braun's legal team to make the horrendous error of informing the third-party about all the details of the suspension, why would they have done that? If you are doing research on PEDs you don't say "Hey, I'm representing Ryan J. Braun who just got suspended for 50-games for a PED test, can I ask you some questions?"

Well, many law firms have several employees. I'm sure there are members of the administrative staff that do "grunt" work on cases. Perhaps some clerk from the law firm is at a bar, has a few too many, and starts talking to his friends..."You wouldn't believe the project I was working on today....."

I'm not saying this happened, but it's not far fetched for the leak to have come from Braun's side. People act like only Braun, his attorney, Bud Selig, and a person at the test lab knew about it. There are probably dozens of people on each side that were involved. Several people at the lab, several people in the MLB offices (including MLB attorneys), several people on Brauns side (his attorneys and staff, possibly his agent?, possibly his girlfriend?, parents?), at least 2 or 3 people at the lab that conducted the test.

Also, it's not like I'm some huge fan of ESPN (although, I guess I don't have the animosity towards them that others seem to), but do you think any other news agency would have sat on this news if they had received it? I doubt it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Weiner finally issued a statement decrying the media leaks in the Biogenisis case as a "clear violation of the JDA". Stay tuned. Not surprisingly, this story is not yet been posted on ESPN's website. So some source, presumably from within MLB, is leaking to ESPN in clear violation of the JDA resulting in a torrent of negative stories on their public enemy #1, Ryan Braun.

I have kind of thought that Arod has been enemy #1 with Braun a close 2nd. Doesn't really matter I guess. MLB is really the only leaker this time around that makes any sense at all and they haven't done a real good job of hiding that fact. They are doing it on purpose for fairly obvious reasons.

It would sure seem to me that they're doing it on purpose because they don't think there is any chance suspensions will occur and/or be upheld. They have very little but they want to win the PR battle by leaking as much as possible.

Real classy MLB. Again.

It would sure seem to me that they're doing it on purpose because they don't think there is any chance suspensions will occur and/or be upheld. They have very little but they want to win the PR battle by leaking as much as possible.

Real classy MLB. Again.

How classy is it to reach a conclusion about something without any evidence?

Nobody here knows who is leaking info to ESPN and others. So why are you ripping MLB?

Paraphrasing Buster Olney - "Players in other locker rooms want Braun out of the game for good, he is a stain on the game"

Nice.

It is kinda of a joke that it has gone on for this long and either you have proof or not .

As per as Mr Onley he has an Opinion and i am sure he wants to be the lead guy here but cant believe he Conducted interviews will every major league player.

Real classy MLB. Again.

Nobody here knows who is leaking info to ESPN and others. So why are you ripping MLB?

Well logic points to MLB leaking the info. Who else would be leaking it if it wasnt from MLB? Did all the players or their associates decide to leak the info? I am just wondering who the options are for the leaks and why some of the options would leak the info? I get you have been on the Braun is guilty train from the start, but it seems obvious this leak is from MLB and it makes sense why they would do it. It is a smart move in a lot of ways, just not ethical

I don't see what MLB possibly has to gain by releasing or leaking any of this information. Not only does it raise the ire of the player's union but if they would fail to pin anything on A-Rod and Braun again they've essentially created 2 "Telfon Dons".

What I find more likely is that people who'd like to assume Braun is clean by default see this entire situation as MLB having an axe to grind and are willing to make the leap that MLB is initiating a smear campaign against some of the league's biggest stars. Which by the way would also be counterproductive for many reasons.

If anyone has an axe to grind here it's clearly ESPN and has been from the start. They make think Braun is dirty, they may even know he's dirty, but either way I would rather they keep their mouths shut until there is some hard evidence ready to be released either way. This would be like a major newspaper back in the day leaking the contents of a bombshell investigative piece before it's ready to run in the paper, tipping their hand and giving the targets plenty of time to form a defense. The way it's being handled makes absolutely no sense unless it's all about sensationalism, in which case there is nothing to report except hearsay and rumors.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

People he and his legal team consulted leaked the information, not his legal team. For example, say he consulted Bosch for information, the leak would have come from someone like him.

That would have required Braun's legal team to make the horrendous error of informing the third-party about all the details of the suspension, why would they have done that? If you are doing research on PEDs you don't say "Hey, I'm representing Ryan J. Braun who just got suspended for 50-games for a PED test, can I ask you some questions?"

Well, many law firms have several employees. I'm sure there are members of the administrative staff that do "grunt" work on cases. Perhaps some clerk from the law firm is at a bar, has a few too many, and starts talking to his friends..."You wouldn't believe the project I was working on today....."

I'm not saying this happened, but it's not far fetched for the leak to have come from Braun's side. People act like only Braun, his attorney, Bud Selig, and a person at the test lab knew about it. There are probably dozens of people on each side that were involved. Several people at the lab, several people in the MLB offices (including MLB attorneys), several people on Brauns side (his attorneys and staff, possibly his agent?, possibly his girlfriend?, parents?), at least 2 or 3 people at the lab that conducted the test.

Also, it's not like I'm some huge fan of ESPN (although, I guess I don't have the animosity towards them that others seem to), but do you think any other news agency would have sat on this news if they had received it? I doubt it.

The New Miami Times sat on Braun being involved with Biogenesis because they didn't feel there was enough information to include him in their report. ESPN had no problem adding Braun's name to the headline though when they got their hands on the same information.

I have little doubt that other media companies would have required more confirmation before ESPN decided to run the original Braun story non stop.

Real classy MLB. Again.

There is tons of evidence that MLB is trying to win a PR battle, like obtaining evidence though means that wont be valid in court and targeting certain players over others.

Someone has to be leaking the info to ESPN right? It seems like they are either getting info from MLB, lawyers for the players, the players themselves or maybe the clinic.

I dont blame ESPN quite as much as others. Maybe they have an axe to grind against Braun or maybe they just know this is news and people will listen to it even if all the facts arent there quite yet. Obviously, in a perfect world they would have their facts straights more before throwing info out there but that isnt the news media culture we live in anymore

MLB definitely has stuff to gain by leaking this info. They win public opinion from the start.

Weiner on Biogenesis leaks

MLBPA executive director issues statement

Major League Baseball Players Association

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball Players Association executive director Michael Weiner today issued the following statement regarding the leaking of Biogenesis-related information to the media:

"The leaking of confidential information to members of the media interferes with the thoroughness and credibility of the Biogenesis investigation. These repeated leaks threaten to harm the integrity of the Joint Drug Agreement and call into question the required level of confidentiality needed to operate a successful prevention program. The Players want a clean game and they demand a testing program that is not only the toughest in professional sports, but one that guarantees each player due process rights accompanied by strict confidentiality provisions. As I stated last month, the Players Association remains in contact with the Commissioner's Office regarding the investigation, and they continue to assure us that no decisions regarding discipline will be made until the investigation is complete. It would be unfortunate if anyone prejudged the results of the investigation based on unsubstantiated leaks that are a clear violation of the JDA."

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

MLB is likely trying to cover it's personal vendetta against Braun by involving the other names in the suspension announcement. In actuality those guys are simply pawns. If Braun's name hadn't been linked, no way MLB would have gone to the lengths it has to garner evidence. A-Rod is a big name, but he's at the end of his career, and has already admitted usage. The leaking taints the jury, as it's likely the "evidence" against Braun is flimsy and he will have a strong basis for appeal. But any arbitrator will undoubtedly be influenced by a public already convinced of his guilt.

ESPN has become MLB's mouthpiece because it wants it's retain its status as insider to be at least the equal of MLB Network.

If I had to guess, I would say it's an ex-employee from the clinic.

That person had the information about the names of the players who were customers. The company is shut down, so he/she is presumably out of work and in need of cash.

Porter Fischer has reportedly been selling information to A-Rod's team and the MLB side. He could be selling info to ESPN. It could be Fischer, or a colleague. It could be Bosch. I think it's someone who is either getting paid by ESPN now, or who is positioning himself for a book deal down the road.

I just don't see how MLB benefits by the public being teased along with rumors of suspensions, secretive information, etc. Don't they want the headlines to be about activity on the field? I don't think it's coming with the blessing of MLB or the Players Association. I think the leadership of both sides are legitimately trying to live up to their end of the agreement. This is all new stuff for the two sides. I don't think either wants to create a level of distrust with the other. Though it could be an underling in the MLB or MLBPA s offices.

If I had to guess, I would say it's an ex-employee from the clinic.

That person had the information about the names of the players who were customers. The company is shut down, so he/she is presumably out of work and in need of cash.

Porter Fischer has reportedly been selling information to A-Rod's team and the MLB side. He could be selling info to ESPN. It could be Fischer, or a colleague. It could be Bosch. I think it's someone who is either getting paid by ESPN now, or who is positioning himself for a book deal down the road.

I just don't see how MLB benefits by the public being teased along with rumors of suspensions, secretive information, etc. Don't they want the headlines to be about activity on the field? I don't think it's coming with the blessing of MLB or the Players Association. I think the leadership of both sides are legitimately trying to live up to their end of the agreement. This is all new stuff for the two sides. I don't think either wants to create a level of distrust with the other. Though it could be an underling in the MLB or MLBPA s offices.

So the person from the clinic also has insider info on when the suspensions are going to be handed down? The person also has info on how the MLB is going after 100 game suspensions? The person also knows that Braun and other players are not speaking to MLB? Because it sure seems like ESPN is getting that info as well or I guess they could be making stuff up

So the person from the clinic also has insider info on when the suspensions are going to be handed down? The person also has info on how the MLB is going after 100 game suspensions? The person also knows that Braun and other players are not speaking to MLB? Because it sure seems like ESPN is getting that info as well or I guess they could be making stuff up

Fair point. The Biogenesis people wouldn't have access to that.

People at MLB and the MLBPA would.

Braun's cooperation or lack thereof is surely at the advice of his legal advisors.

Always listen to your lawyer.

Never lie to your lawyer. They really don't like surprises. If ya did it, tell him.

Fair point. The Biogenesis people wouldn't have access to that.

People at MLB and the MLBPA would.

That is why I think it is MLB. I guess it could be MLBPA but it just seems so much more likely to MLB. Weiner's comments today make it seem like he is pretty sure it isnt coming from his camp. This doesnt seem like information a lot of people in either group would have access to.

One question that has arisen is that if MLB is really trying to go after Braun or Rodriguez for two offenses, why is it 100 games instead of 150 games that is being discussed? After all, first offense = 50, second offense = 100, and we can certainly do the math. The answer, according to my source, is that the league likely views the 100 games as some sort of happy medium or, perhaps leniency of some kind with the acknowledgment that we’re in uncharted waters here

In other words, MLB is just making stuff up. Whats the point of even having an agreement?

MLB has put itself in position to suspend Braun on any sliver of evidence they can find and now having ginned up even more anti-Braun sentiment through it's leaks to mouthpiece ESPN, it will put him position to either accept a suspension on flimsy unsubstantiated evidence, or once again fight it only now as public enemy #1. Either way Braun is demonized and MLB has its retribution.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought this was a pretty reasonable look at the whole situation by Ken Rosenthal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/biogenesis-probe-unseemly-but-tough-to-avoid-tony-bosch-bud-selig-ryan-braun-alex-rodriguez-071013

He doesn't like the whole thing. Buying evidence and striking deals with drug dealers is 'unseamly'. But he understands why it is happening - even if he isn't thrilled by it.

He doesn't think 100 game suspensions will happen. He also thinks its going to take a long, long time to sort out.

It's a decent read.

Archived