Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Biogenesis and the Whole Crazy Thing

splitterpfj

According to T.J. Quinn at ESPN, who seems to know what he is talking about in regards to MLB rules regarding the arbitration process, once a case because public, as this one has, they can announce suspensions publicly without having to wait until the appeal process has taken place (this does not mean that players are not allowed to appeal).

Play video:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9464246/ryan-braun-refused-answer-mlb-questions-biogenesis-clinic-sources-say

Which essentially makes ESPN one step away from the National Enquirer. If Braun once again gets suspended and once again wins the appeal process, he and his lawyers should sue ESPN for $50 million for defamation of character and lost wages from endorsement deals. This whole fiasco could cost Braun a chance at the Hall of Fame due to irresponsible tabloid style "reporting" and an overzealous commissioner who is trying to make up for his own horribly tarnished legacy.

To be fair, wasn't it the New Miami Times (or whatever it's called) that broke this latest story about Bosch and his connection to several MLB players? Braun's reaction was that his lawyers contacted Bosch as a possible consultant during the appeals process. Well, if Brauns positive test had never been leaked by ESPN, then Braun could have never made that statement.

Also, not sure how what I posted about TJ Quinn stating seemingly factual information about how the MLB appeal process works makes ESPN one step away from the National Enquirer?

The New Miami Times left Braun's name off their story because there wasn't enough to connect him like the other players. It was only when ESPN got a hold of the information that the headline changed to include Braun's name at every turn. It was then that Braun responded.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wait, HAS braun actually lost ANY endorsement deals through this process thus far? I havent heard of a single issue concerning that, yet.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

wait, HAS braun actually lost ANY endorsement deals through this process thus far? I havent heard of a single issue concerning that, yet.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

since the first leak of his failed test for testosterone surfaced about 1 month after he was named NL MVP, of course he's lost out on tons of endorsement deals. Think of what his public profile was before and after that leak happened in late 2011. His name would have been on everything MLB was peddling, let alone lots of individual endorsement deals. Once it was public that he had a suspension looming after an appeal hearing, companies inevitably steered clear of him.

since the first leak of his failed test for testosterone surfaced about 1 month after he was named NL MVP, of course he's lost out on tons of endorsement deals. Think of what his public profile was before and after that leak happened in late 2011. His name would have been on everything MLB was peddling, let alone lots of individual endorsement deals. Once it was public that he had a suspension looming after an appeal hearing, companies inevitably steered clear of him.

but how do you prove that he actually lost endorsements? what endorsements did Posey get that Braun didnt? did he have potential contracts in place that he lost?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

but how do you prove that he actually lost endorsements? what endorsements did Posey get that Braun didnt? did he have potential contracts in place that he lost?

He almost certainly lost out on potential endorsements/deals. It's tough to compare Posey and Braun because Posey doesn't have the marketability that Braun has(or did), imo. Posey is kind of vanilla while Braun was one of the most popular players in MLB, high jersey sales, polarizing among fans, etc. He's well spoken, good looking, has that "big city star" vibe and just all-around way more marketable than Posey is.

I can only think of the video game(The Show?) commercial that Posey was on a while back.

3TO Apostle

He almost certainly lost out on potential endorsements/deals. It's tough to compare Posey and Braun because Posey doesn't have the marketability that Braun has(or did), imo. Posey is kind of vanilla while Braun was one of the most popular players in MLB, high jersey sales, polarizing among fans, etc. He's well spoken, good looking, has that "big city star" vibe and just all-around way more marketable than Posey is.

I can only think of the video game(The Show?) commercial that Posey was on a while back.

gotcha. im not saying he didnt lose out on endorsements, I just hadnt heard that he lost anything because of this entire ordeal. i mean, did his jersey sales slip? im sure IF he did go this route his lawyers would have it all formulated out and whatnot, but I dont think he'll go that route. he's already said he just wants to put this behind him

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Why was the 1st case leaked with Braun did MLB do anything to find out who leaked that story? Seemed that went by the side without anyone caring about the process. But ESPN seems to have no problems throwing out Braun Name again . I am not sure if they have any Proof because they would not have waited this long to nail Him.But to suspend him for not talking is lunecy.

Why was the 1st case leaked with Braun did MLB do anything to find out who leaked that story? Seemed that went by the side without anyone caring about the process. But ESPN seems to have no problems throwing out Braun Name again . I am not sure if they have any Proof because they would not have waited this long to nail Him.But to suspend him for not talking is lunecy.

I think the general consensus is that the leak came from someone Braun consulted and not from MLB.

Apparently on PTI today, Michael Wilbon talked about how he knows one of Braun's lawyers. To paraphrase, he said Braun is and should be listening to his lawyers. He also said that Braun needs to trust the lawyers tho helped him the last time. Wilbon also believes that Braun will not be serving a 100 game suspension. He seemed pretty confident in Braun's position on the subject. Apparently Wilbon and Kornheiser skeptically grilled TJ Quinn on just how good MLB's case is against Biogenesis.
Follow me on Twitter

Verified Member

I think the general consensus is that the leak came from someone Braun consulted and not from MLB.

What is the basis for that, again? (Honestly asking)

I find it almost inconceivable that his legal team would let that leak.

What is the basis for that, again? (Honestly asking)

I find it almost inconceivable that his legal team would let that leak.

People he and his legal team consulted leaked the information, not his legal team. For example, say he consulted Bosch for information, the leak would have come from someone like him.

Paraphrasing Buster Olney - "Players in other locker rooms want Braun out of the game for good, he is a stain on the game"

Nice.

He did say "if" Braun did PED's. At the same time, though, he framed the comments in such a way that made it sound like Braun is totally hated around MLB.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Paraphrasing Buster Olney - "Players in other locker rooms want Braun out of the game for good, he is a stain on the game"

Nice.

He did say "if" Braun did PED's. At the same time, though, he framed the comments in such a way that made it sound like Braun is totally hated around MLB.

Olney has had an axe to grind against Braun since the beginning of this whole thing. Maybe Braun snubbed him at some point.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Every report so far that I am aware of that says that Braun will be suspended, is guilty, etc., has come from ESPN.

What does ESPN have to gain? Ratings, which equal ad revenue.

I don't think it's MLB that has an axe to grind with Braun, I think it is ESPN that has an axe to grind (making them look foolish the first time around, and they are trying to prove they were right all along) or is trying to profit off of him (higher ratings) or both. In no way, shape, or form I do consider ESPN to be impartial.

Verified Member
People he and his legal team consulted leaked the information, not his legal team. For example, say he consulted Bosch for information, the leak would have come from someone like him.

That would have required Braun's legal team to make the horrendous error of informing the third-party about all the details of the suspension, why would they have done that? If you are doing research on PEDs you don't say "Hey, I'm representing Ryan J. Braun who just got suspended for 50-games for a PED test, can I ask you some questions?"

I could have sworn it was said that the leak came from braun's camp, that it was a friend of his who spilled the beans to begin with. I cant find the article right now, but I know I read that somewhere

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

They may not have phrased it just like that, but say Braun told his own legal team he never took anything and they didn't believe him. You can't go to an appeal and just say, "well Ryan told us he didn't do it." It's their obligation to investigate all angles and part of that likely included contacting Biogenesis and asking if they ever sold any substance banned by MLB to their client. Then Biogenesis asks, "who is your client?"

Verified Member
They may not have phrased it just like that, but say Braun told his own legal team he never took anything and they didn't believe him. You can't go to an appeal and just say, "well Ryan told us he didn't do it." It's their obligation to investigate all angles and part of that likely included contacting Biogenesis and asking if they ever sold any substance banned by MLB to their client. Then Biogenesis asks, "who is your client?"

Yes, but a competent professional can investigate something without disclosing who his or her client is or what the exact situation is. I'm guessing the caliber of representatives that Braun has would not make that mistake (and likely deal with huge issues of confidentiality on a regular basis).

Though I could be wrong if it was reported as being a friend of Braun's or something as torts suggested above. (Not a great friend!)

Archived