Brewer Fanatic

International Draft to come soon?

nate82

I hoped with the last agreement they would get something done, an international draft won't come soon enough for me.

Maybe that will be the impetus to get the Brewers more involved in Latin America, lucking their way into an Aoki isn't going to happen very often.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The downside is that every player is not readily available for scouting, medical evaluation, etc. What do you do with the Cubans? Is it really reasonable to throw the Asian players and Latin players in the same pool? Etc.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The downside is that every player is not readily available for scouting, medical evaluation, etc. What do you do with the Cubans? Is it really reasonable to throw the Asian players and Latin players in the same pool? Etc.

Not 100% apples to apples but the NBA makes it work with a global pool (Euro and South American mostly but still)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh, I don't doubt it could work or that it's not a worthwhile idea, but I'm expecting that whatever form it takes, it's not going to go as smoothly as the domestic draft. I'm expecting that there will be a bunch of issues the first several years.

Considering there are only 2 rounds to the NBA draft, I don't even think they're comparable. Still, it will undoubtedly even the playing field a little bit, but having boots on the ground and connections is still going to give big money teams an advantage.

I think as long as there's an age minimum, say 17 or 18, then the good players in places like the Dominican will be well known to pretty much everyone.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well, it's probably going to come down to which teams have the best scouting departments, which seems like how it should be.

I'm in the camp that says this is long overdue.

I agree. If you make a system in which everyone has an equal shot, and some people make bad selections because they didn't do as much homework, then I'm okay with that system. I'm less okay with a system in which everyone knows the player's good, but only the ones with a built-in economic advantage can sign him.

It will be interesting to see how it works in Japan (where players generally come to the U.S. when they're around 30 after a career in the Japanese League) vs Latin America, where players are signed when they're in their mid-teens.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

MLB tends to behave gentlemanly towards other businesses, but I wonder if having the International draft framework in place they might just decide to drop their existing agreements with Japanese baseball and just draft whoever right off the bat?

Buster Olney says MLB is offereing concessions to the players to get a Worldwide Draft, including such things as an increase in the minimum salary, and less service time before arbitration.

Take that, small markets!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Buster Olney says MLB is offereing concessions to the players to get a Worldwide Draft, including such things as an increase in the minimum salary, and less service time before arbitration.

Take that, small markets!

Yeah, this would suck.

Pretty much any team with an actual budget (read: any team not in a mega-market) would immediately be pushed over their budget. For example, let's assume this goes into effect next season and league minimum is put at, say $1MM. The Brewers have seven guys (Weeks, Braun, Gallardo, Ramirez, Gomez, Lucroy, Gorzelanny) under contract for $62.55MM and one (Aoki) with an option for I believe $1.5-2MM. Everyone else would cost more. League minimum guys would now be $1MM and all arby eligible guys would be "further along" in arby, with the baseline (league minimum) raised. Axford would probably get $10MM next year.

I would have to guess that this would push the Brewers over $100MM, a figure at which they lost money last year. I have a hard time believing the owners are going to agree to tear up the current CBA when it would mean a good share of them would lose money. I'm not talking about making less profit, I'm talking operating at a loss.

Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Dodgers would be giddy with this concept, but I can't imagine it'd go through... maybe if the minimum is only raised $10,000 or something, but not anything of significance.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think you'd be better off keeping the 3 years to Arby and letting them be free agents after 5 years. Teams do seem like they have gotten better at not over paying those guys in between average and replacement level once they get into arby. The higher minimum is a little bit of a squeeze on smaller markets, but there are a lot of guys who toil for a pretty brief major league stay and I'm OK with there being a little more pie for them rather than adding more zeroes for guys already signing for 100's of millions.

I hope MLB doesn't give up too much as far as arby terms go. I would much rather see an increase in the slot recommendations for the newly drafted players. I think you could do that in a way that still would end up costing teams less than signing players as free agents, but would still increase the average signing bonus of the majority of the players that are getting drafted. That way the teams can still alot a certain percentage of their overall operating costs to scouting, without having to alter the costs of all of their other departments.

Adding another year of arby does very little since teams still have the ability to just release players. If it works haow 4 year arby works now, the cost is really small. And baseball is rolling in money. (of course they are trying to still kill off pensions).

The way for this to really work is for MLB to take over the academies and then have teams draft 18 year olds there. Otherwise the system will be a mess. But that would cost a small amount of money so it likely won't happen.

The owners and players agreed to an international draft about a decade ago, but it was never implemented. There must have been a significant downside that stopped it.

It's possible that the downside could have been cost in that teams would have to commit to doing some scouting that they wouldn't have been doing previously.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived