Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis and the potential he has...but where?

3and2Fastball

The Brewers are reportedly thinking about keeping Khris Davis on the MLB roster. Its great that he can hit, but is it wise to have a bench player who seems capable of only playing the same position as the franchise player?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198629161.html

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers are reportedly thinking about keeping Khris Davis on the MLB roster. Its great that he can hit, but is it wise to have a bench player who seems capable of only playing the same position as the franchise player?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198629161.html

Why not? Its not like Braun is going to be healthy the whole year and in a pinch I don't see the Brewers being all that concerned and playing him in RF. I have seen worse players play RF in a pinch or for a day or two or even more (Brad Nelson, Adam Dunn, Gary Sheffield, Nate Mclouth, Bernie Williams, Brennan Boesch, Bobby Abreu, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers played Davis in RF for a few games and then subbed him out late in the game for someone like Schafer or Aoki. I also wouldn't be surprised if he played a few games at 1B and don't forget there are interleague games throughout the whole season so he will be the DH or play in LF for Braun in a few of those games.

Also if Davis would replace Green off the bench I would be all for this. Bianchi is a more valuable bench player than Green is right now. I wouldn't even mind seeing Melvin trading Green for cash at this point.

Also if Davis would replace Green off the bench I would be all for this. Bianchi is a more valuable bench player than Green is right now. I wouldn't even mind seeing Melvin trading Green for cash at this point.

How? Bianchi is right handed on a team that leans heavily right handed, projects significantly worse, and is battling injury right now. Yes he can play SS, but the Brewers have little need for that right now.

Move Braun to 1B. Just an idea. He'd be great there.

Braun would be a wreck at 1B. It wasn't just his throwing at 3B that was horrible. He has no fielding instincts. His saving grace in LF is his athleticism and the low bar set for LF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Move Braun to 1B. Just an idea. He'd be great there.

Braun would be a wreck at 1B. It wasn't just his throwing at 3B that was horrible. He has no fielding instincts. His saving grace in LF is his athleticism and the low bar set for LF.

Thank you. Finally, someone else remembers how epically bad he was on the infield. Braun will never be outstanding defensively anywhere you put him, but he has become adequate in leftfield, something Kh. Davis is not. Braun is such a good athlete, and has worked very hard on his defense in the outfield, so I don't understand people wanting him to switch positions. I'm all for giving Davis a shot. As much as I hate Larussa, he understood that you can bring young OF's up and get them at-bats in lots of different ways and situations, and the Brewers should consider trying this method with Davis.

I saw Khris Davis for a summer in Appleton, he is nowhere near the horrible outfielder that some on here claim.

His arm was not a rocket, but it was no noodle either. I would think he would be no worse than Braun out there if the need came for him to play LF. I never once saw him make a play where I questioned his outfield ability. Probably saw him play 25 times in person, and not once did I think he was a hack.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

As much as I hate Larussa, he understood that you can bring young OF's up and get them at-bats in lots of different ways and situations, and the Brewers should consider trying this method with Davis.

Absolutely. There should be no reason that Davis couldn't play RF either.

We have two LH OF that have never played a full season. No reason Davis couldn't cover for the Hart injury and then play every few days in the OF and DH vs AL teams if that is the path they want to go. You usually do that with more marginal players and not players you think will become full time for you.

If Prince Fielder can be below average at 1st base, I am 100% confident Ryan Braun can at least be average.

And if Khrush Davis is on the Brewers bench to start the year, I am boycotting this team. He needs to play every single day.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't understand how he can't learn to play first base. Other than left field that's gotta be the easier position to learn. I don't expect him to be a gold glover out there but with a few weeks practice he couldn't be that bad.

That being said he'd better not be that Brad Nelson type player where he is up but sits on the bench 12 out of 13 games.

Braun in RF, Davis in LF.

I don't think Davis can play RF. His arm may not look bad, but it's not good at all and to put him in RF would be an issue. I think Braun could handle RF. I think he could maybe handle 1b at some point but I doubt that happens unless he slows down a lot.

His value is limited in the Brewer lineup. But for a team like Houston, he seems ideal. What that means down the road, who knows? His spring numbers are meaningless (see Erick Almonte). I'd love to see him get a taste early in the season, then once Hart returns, go down and rake again at AAA and make himself into a guy that an AL club will covet, then flip him.

I don't think Davis can play RF. His arm may not look bad, but it's not good at all and to put him in RF would be an issue. I think Braun could handle RF. I think he could maybe handle 1b at some point but I doubt that happens unless he slows down a lot.

That would've worked before the Gomez extension, when Aoki could've moved to CF. Now Davis would have to prove to be more valueable than Aoki, or go with a Davis/Aoki platoon in LF, which wouldn't leave us with a full-time leadoff hitter. Or, Aoki could be traded at some point, opening up a spot, but trades of "proven" veterans to make room for rookies are taboo for the Brewers.

Whether Davis makes the roster will really depend on if they keep an 8th reliever. I think that option is dependant on whether Rogers "finds it" before spring is out, or if they just have to keep him as "long guy who only pitches in blowout games." I like the thought of Davis as the RH bat off the bench/backup LF/Designated Hitter, but with Schafer getting the backup starts at CF/RF, I see Davis as being the odd-man out if they keep the 8th reliever. Of course, if Roenicke would use Gonzalez/Bianchi/Maldonado as a PH/DH ahead of Davis, then he should automatically be sent to AAA.

As far as Green goes, I think he's going to see a lot of time at 1B, probably platooning with Gonzalez. Therefore, I think he's now a shoo-in to make the team, and the decision between him and Bianchi will happen when Hart returns. I really hope Green can make the most of this opportunity, as it may be his last shot at regular playing time if he looks bad early this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Prince Fielder can be below average at 1st base, I am 100% confident Ryan Braun can at least be average.

If I were the opposing manager and Braun was at first, I would tell every runner to take a big lead and run with every pick-off attempt, and keep running until they hit third because the throw would be in left field. Braun was as bad at third as he is good at the plate, and I don't think switching sides of the infield will make him decent.

I thought it was interesting the Yankees released Matt Diaz. Diaz is a veteran who's somewhat limited defensively like Davis but has managed to carve out a decent career primarily as part of a platoon. Though he's also played 140 games in RF too.

Whether Diaz is done or not is questionable, but he's certainly wore out lefties in his career and if the Brewers think Davis should be getting AB's every day at AAA, Diaz might be worth a look.

If I were the opposing manager and Braun was at first, I would tell every runner to take a big lead and run with every pick-off attempt, and keep running until they hit third because the throw would be in left field. Braun was as bad at third as he is good at the plate, and I don't think switching sides of the infield will make him decent.

I 100% disagree. The throw from 1st to 2nd is half as far as third to first

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bernie Pleskoff

@BerniePleskoff

#Brewers have a real gem in Khris Davis. I have not seen a bad at-bat from him. Shame he plays LF and not 1B. He has a big future.

If we move Davis, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

He was an absolute joy to watch in 2010, and I have been rooting for him since.

Somehow, some way, we need to find a place for his bat.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That would've worked before the Gomez extension, when Aoki could've moved to CF. Now Davis would have to prove to be more valueable than Aoki, or go with a Davis/Aoki platoon in LF, which wouldn't leave us with a full-time leadoff hitter. Or, Aoki could be traded at some point, opening up a spot, but trades of "proven" veterans to make room for rookies are taboo for the Brewers.

Whether Davis makes the roster will really depend on if they keep an 8th reliever. I think that option is dependant on whether Rogers "finds it" before spring is out, or if they just have to keep him as "long guy who only pitches in blowout games." I like the thought of Davis as the RH bat off the bench/backup LF/Designated Hitter, but with Schafer getting the backup starts at CF/RF, I see Davis as being the odd-man out if they keep the 8th reliever. Of course, if Roenicke would use Gonzalez/Bianchi/Maldonado as a PH/DH ahead of Davis, then he should automatically be sent to AAA.

As far as Green goes, I think he's going to see a lot of time at 1B, probably platooning with Gonzalez. Therefore, I think he's now a shoo-in to make the team, and the decision between him and Bianchi will happen when Hart returns. I really hope Green can make the most of this opportunity, as it may be his last shot at regular playing time if he looks bad early this season.

Very true. I guess I was just kind of thinking everyone was saying we can't have him play left because of Braun and I thought the next best place Braun could maybe move would be RF. I guess I wasn't considering the domino effect at all. So we'll just pretend I was saying if Aoki or Gomez was gone ;)

Archived