Brewer Fanatic

What is the 2014 Bullpen looking like?

brewmann04
From what I've read, it sounds like Figaro has a good chance to make the final roster. Not sure how I feel about that, but he has had some decent numbers in the minors and in Japan, so I'm not totally against it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's more likely now that the last bullpen spot will be taken by whoever is bumped from the rotation. Only because they are currently on the 40-man roster. Won't be able to clear enough spots to add a pitcher on top of whoever needs to be added for the bench. So Figaro might be out of luck due to the Lohse signing.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

doug melvin said today that the brewers might go with a 13-man pitching staff until kyle lohse proves he can pitch deep into games. that additional pitcher will likely be one already on the 40-man roster, given how the bench is shaping.

doug melvin said today that the brewers might go with a 13-man pitching staff until kyle lohse proves he can pitch deep into games. that additional pitcher will likely be one already on the 40-man roster, given how the bench is shaping.

He already said it's either gonna be Figaro or Hand for the 13th spot. Sounds like Fiers is the 12th man. Likely Davis over Lalli for the last spot, because they'll already need to clear a 40-man spot for Figaro or Hand. Personally, I don't see the need for a 13th pitcher. There are so many off days in April, and Kintzler, Badenhop, Gorzelanny, and Fiers/Figaro can all throw multiple innings.

Would Figaro have any options if added to the 40 man? Hand would have 3 options left. It would be useful to have a few guys who could go up and down this year and not be stuck with the same guys. Or would they just DFA Figaro when they go down to 12 pitchers?

Would Figaro have any options if added to the 40 man? Hand would have 3 options left. It would be useful to have a few guys who could go up and down this year and not be stuck with the same guys. Or would they just DFA Figaro when they go down to 12 pitchers?

I looked and Figaro used 2 options while with the Tigers before being released. I'm not sure if his 1 remaining option carries over, or how that works. I think he can be outrighted to the minors once too without the right to refusal, so that would be an option if he doesn't have options.

I looked and Figaro used 2 options while with the Tigers before being released. I'm not sure if his 1 remaining option carries over, or how that works. I think he can be outrighted to the minors once too without the right to refusal, so that would be an option if he doesn't have options.

Fwiw, they're option seasons, not one-&-done options. If he has an option season remaining, he can be sent up & down more than just once.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fwiw, they're option seasons, not one-&-done options. If he has an option season remaining, he can be sent up & down more than just once.

I know that. That's what I was referring to when I said they used 2 option. I meant 2 seasons worth, not that he was optioned twice during one season. The reference to outrighting was in case he is in fact out of options, which I don't think he is based on what I found. This won't even come into play though until he is added to the 40-man.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

One option remaining, as per media guide...

I'm willing to chalk that one up to it being Opening Day. I thought Axford pitched fine overall -- his FB wasn't working great, but he had command of the CB -- when his CB is working, he's able to be effective. Fowler just sat on a first-pitch FB & ambushed it.

Figaro looked quite good. Really hoping he can put together some consistent performances. Obviously Badenhop & Henderson were good, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm willing to chalk that one up to it being Opening Day. I thought Axford pitched fine overall -- his FB wasn't working great, but he had command of the CB -- when his CB is working, he's able to be effective. Fowler just sat on a first-pitch FB & ambushed it.

Figaro looked quite good. Really hoping he can put together some consistent performances. Obviously Badenhop & Henderson were good, too.

FWIW, Luc blamed himself after the game for calling the 1st pitch FB instead of a CB. Granted, Ax could've shaken him off, but still. Obviously wasn't the best idea, but it is what it is. Ax pitched well overall. His CB was really on. The people that booed him really pissed me off.

The thing with Henderson and Axford is they look good when they are on but they can't seem to repeat it consistently. I will wait until they've pitched 5 or 6 games to see what I think with them.

Axford did what he's supposed to do. He threw strikes and unfortunately Fowler got lucky and squared up the bat on the ball. As a closer, we want him throwing good strikes, and that's primarily what he did today.

Ax threw that fastball almost right where Luc called it. Maybe he missed it two inches over the plate rather that just on the inside black. The guy simply guessed 100% right and swung away. I will never, never worry about such happenings. If Ax does not walk people and his curve ball is working, he will be great.

Henderson throwing 97 was the pleasant surprise. I was impressed he shook off the Classic muck up and found a mechanical thing to fix... and fixed it.

Why did Tampa basically give us Badenhop for nothing? Was his 1.5 million dollar salary to much for them?

He was impressive looking in camp and today. Looking at his stats, i like that he rarely walks anyone and doesn't serve up many home runs.

Archived