Brewer Fanatic

What is the 2014 Bullpen looking like?

brewmann04

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Olmstead still a dark horse for the bullpen or is he now a lock. That's the question I want to know. I love that his walks are low and his strike outs are high and he has a history like that. No control problems.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Henderson is going to make it hard on RR to actually keep him. That likely opens up a spot for both Olmsted and Kintzler. That is probably the preferred scenario anyways in terms of raw stuff.

Axford, Gonzalez, Gorz, Rogers, Olmsted, Kintzler, and Badenhop.

Henderson is not helping himself in the last week or so. The 8th inning is an issue. I thought Sanchez had a shot but he was just sent down. It could well come down to Kintzler, Olmsted, and Henderson battling for 2 spots. All 3 are limited experience wise so it should come down to performance. That's not always great to go on in Arizona but it is what it is.

What I've heard is Olmstead is still raw, and with 3 options they wouldn't mind starting him in AAA. But the way things are going, he might show that he is clearly the best player out of his competition and I think they keep him if he can do that.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It's nearly impossible to tell anything from spring training. I'd rather go on past performances to start with. That will be more indicative of what they will do in season than a few ST games with minimal appearances to go on. Especially if some guys are more interested in working on something new or a weakness in their game than they are in results. The one thing I am sure of is the opening day bullpen will not be the same as the last day of the season. Time enough to find replacements for those who can't produce during the season.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Right now I would go with

Axford-closer

Gonzalez

Gorzelanny

Olmstead

Henderson

Badenhop

Kintzler

I would use set-up by committee til someone steps up and earns it. Maybe Gonzalez to start. Henderson hasn't earned it this spring but its spring so I'm willing to see if its a fluke and he can regain his form from last year but I wouldn't just hand it to him. I also think Peralta goes to the minors and Rogers is traded with Burgos in the rotation

Journal/ sentinel article quotes Henderson saying he figured out a flaw in his delivery when he watched video and compared it to video from last years successful pitching.

My first thought was "the coaching staff couldn't have picked up on that?"

Henderson is 30 years and has pitched all of 30 innings in majors. His 10 year minor league career features a 3.95 ERA and 1.85:1 K:BB ratio. He looked good in his 30 innings with the brewers ion 2012, but I'm not sure that should guarantee him a roster spot in Milwaukee, let alone the set up role.

I always cheer for these types, but let's not assume he's the best choice of all the options.

That is the thing with this bullpen, plenty of them have options left including Henderson. If he fails bring one of the other guys up or vice verse. The Brewers have much more flexibility than last year when they felt they had to stick with guys because of guaranteed contracts. If the bullpen fails this year I will put much more of the blame on Melvin.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Henderson is 30 years and has pitched all of 30 innings in majors. His 10 year minor league career features a 3.95 ERA and 1.85:1 K:BB ratio. He looked good in his 30 innings with the brewers ion 2012, but I'm not sure that should guarantee him a roster spot in Milwaukee, let alone the set up role.

I always cheer for these types, but let's not assume he's the best choice of all the options.

So true. Joe Winkelsas was a fun moment - but just for a moment.

The strikeout rate last year for Henderson was encouraging. But the guy has been all over the map in his career. I hope he 'figured it out' for us, but if he bombs, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

as explained here, barring any acquisitions outside the organization, it's harder for hand to make the club if both green and bianchi open the season on the disabled list.

if mark rogers tanks and the brewers deem he's not worthy trying to keep, then another 40-man roster spot opens up. at the start of spring training, this didn't seem at all possible. now, we'll have to wait and see. sunday's start is very important for rogers.

Down to Hand and Figaro if Rogers doesn't make it, or if they carry 13 pitchers.

they're planning on carrying 12. roenicke has indicated that brandon kintzler will make the bullpen, so it is indeed down to one of those three pitchers for the final bullpen spot (barring any outside moves).

looks like Rogers might be going to the dl so its down to Hand & Figaro for the final spot

not necessarily. indications are that jeff bianchi, taylor green and mark rogers could all be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

40-man roster spots might be taken by position players to fill the voids of bianchi and green. the brewers have one spot open, and could put miguel de los santos on the 60-day disabled list to open a second spot. the opening of a third spot for either hand or figaro would mean risking losing a player.

thus, the final bullpen spot could go to a pitcher the brewers have already optioned.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
could put miguel de los santos on the 60-day disabled list to open a second spot

The Brewers would first have to recall MDLS back to the big league roster, which would then kick in his big league salary. Even though it'd be relatively short money (let's say $250,000 for three months vs. the $40,000 he'd earn otherwise), unlikely.

Archived