Brewer Fanatic

Gomez Extended

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think this is any kind of big 'steal' on the Brewers part. But it's solid. Carlos will pretty much always have some value due to his defense and baserunning. But his hitting has been all over the place the last few years. And even at his best, his hitting has been limited by a mediocre batting average and a bad walk rate. It's a risk, to a degree, on everyone's part. If Carlos hits in 2013 like he did in 2012, he's probably getting a couple of extra million a year in the free agent market. But that's no guarantee.

The good news is that even if Carlos hits less than he did in 2012 - say .240-250 with 10-12 HR - he's still a solid player to have. His speed and defense are great assets - and those should not change much (unless he's injured) for the next four years since he's only 27 now. We'll get his prime years, which is encouraging.

I'm good with the deal - especially since the alternatives aren't that great looking.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another reason this deal seems dumb to me is that you have a low cost replacement waiting in the wings in the form of Logan Schaefer...cost-controlled for 6 years. Also very good defensively and projects as a better hitter. This is a real head scratcher.

The Brewers are so going to regret this.

I hope I'm wrong.

All the reasons to think this one blows up in their face are there. He's cracked a .300 OBP once. Boras actually let a client sign 1 year from free agency. Seriously, what does that tell you?

Yeah...I'm not getting all the enthusiasm over this. His resume is really not that stellar

The good news is that even if Carlos hits less than he did in 2012 - say .240-250 with 10-12 HR - he's still a solid player to have.

Not for $8mil/yr

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

People will complain about anything, I'm convinced. There are posters here who can be so bi polar.

Take a look around MLB. Just, for one second. Take a look around to see what comparable players to Gomez are making. Just because you dominate your office fantasy league doesn't mean you have a clue what it takes to run an MLB team.

This is a good deal for the Brewers and I'm happy to have Gomez here for an additional 4 years.

The Brewers are so going to regret this.

I hope I'm wrong.

All the reasons to think this one blows up in their face are there. He's cracked a .300 OBP once. Boras actually let a client sign 1 year from free agency. Seriously, what does that tell you?

That Gomez really meant it when he said that he wanted to stay with the the Brewers beyond this season because my money is on Boras advising Carlos to play out the season instead and enter free agency, but clients have the final say. I'm sure he also was happy to secure his future financially given he has a wife and young children.

I would see the appeal of that if i was in his position. Sure, he maybe could have made more if he played out the season and had a god year, but 24 million dollars is still plenty enough to live a very comfortable life for himself and his family so long as he's not stupid with that money.

With his Defense, even if he regresses, he's not a bad deal at that money----offense has gotten so bad in the majors that carlos, even at current levels, Carlos is in the top half of center fielders in the league with the bat. He's also got age on his side....

in other words, if he improves, this is a steal.

if he doesn't, this is fair.

if he regresses, then its an overpay, but not by much...

it's crazy that we know who the starting outfield will be until 2016 (or at least that is, Braun, Aoki, and Gomez are all under contract until then...)

People will complain about anything, I'm convinced. There are posters here who can be so bi polar.

Take a look around MLB. Just, for one second. Take a look around to see what comparable players to Gomez are making. Just because you dominate your office fantasy league doesn't mean you have a clue what it takes to run an MLB team.

This is a good deal for the Brewers and I'm happy to have Gomez here for an additional 4 years.

I have a problem in general with what many MLB players make. If you can get to your arby years and have a pulse you are guaranteed $1 mil.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The good news is that even if Carlos hits less than he did in 2012 - say .240-250 with 10-12 HR - he's still a solid player to have.

Not for $8mil/yr

BJ Upton just got 5yr/75 million. Other players around the league have been getting huge long term contracts as all of this new cable TV money is flooding through baseball. It's 2013, not 2003, the salary structure in MLB has changed and will only continue to rise, making 8 million a year not be that much money. Not only that, the deal is only for three seasons, lessening the risk.

I think the low end for Gomez over the life of this contract now that he will play 162 and not platoon is .250, 15 HR, 55 RBI, 35 SB all while playing Gold Glove D. Keep in mind that last year was the first time he got over 400 ABs since 2008 when he was 22 years old. Is that worth $8 million per? I think it is a worthwhile risk considering B.J. Upton just got $15 million per and his 162 game average is .255, 20 HR, 75 RBI, 39 SB. While you can absolutely argue that money would've been spent better elsewhere, we should be getting a player that is arguably as good as Upton for about half the price.

Couldn't have said it better. BJ Upton for $15 mil per, or Gomez for $8 mil per? If he continues to progress, Doug Melvin may end up in prison for theft; especially if salaries at the position continue to rise at the current rate. Too bad they couldn't put a club option on the back end of this.

I have a problem in general with what many MLB players make. If you can get to your arby years and have a pulse you are guaranteed $1 mil.

Why have a problem with what players make given all of the money flooding into the coffers of the owners? Have you not seen all of the new national and cable TV deals signed by both MLB and individual teams?

The sport overall has never seen financial times as is the case currently. Not only is the TV money huge, attendance has never been higher. If the players weren't getting what they are, all of that extra money would just go into the pockets of extremely wealthy owners instead.

it's crazy that we know who the starting outfield will be until 2016 (or at least that is, Braun, Aoki, and Gomez are all under contract until then...)

Let's not forget Rickie is ours through 2015, Lucroy through 2017 & Segura through 2018, meaning 6 of our 8 position players are signed up through 2015, or the next 3 seasons.

Now let's just keep our fingers crossed we can develop 4 of Thornburg, Hellweg, Burgos, Fiers, Peralta, Bradley, Jungmann, Nelson to complement Yo.

Never saw this coming. Given his exceptional D, he should at least earn the contract value. There is upside if last year wasn't an aberration at the plate. I like Carlos personally as well so I'm a fan of the deal. 3 years for that price isn't a monster risk outside of injury. I'm surprised he didn't go FA given he's a Boras guy. Very unusual.

The bear thesis seems to be around paying fair value for too many players, given the Brewers limited payroll, takes away the opportunity for cheap upside. Without cheap upside, the ceiling of the team is capped. At some point there is a limit to these type of deals.

Why have a problem with what players make given all of the money flooding into the coffers of the owners? Have you not seen all of the new national and cable TV deals signed by both MLB and individual teams?

The sport overall has never seen financial times as is the case currently. Not only is the TV money huge, attendance has never been higher. If the players weren't getting what they are, all of that extra money would just go into the pockets of extremely wealthy owners instead.

By that logic the Brewers payroll should have gone up this year not down.

The Brewers did not sign a new multi-billion dollar TV contract. They only get a marginal benefit from that new "MLB revenue". If there was real revenue sharing in MLB and no guaranteed contracts I'd be a little less negative. If all teams could realistically get into the bidding for FAs like Pujols, Fielder, & Grienke... then what you are saying would make a little more sense to me. A $24mil guaranteed contract is a lot more risky and expensive to teams like the Brewers and Pirates than for teams like the Dodgers and Yankees

Yes! This is a great deal for the Brewers. I had posted last season that I hoped for a 4/25 deal, though as time passed I was losing hope. People have mentioned how the deal is a gamble based on hopes of continued progression, however I believe that he is worth the money no matter what. The exciting part of the deal is that he could end up being a star for a cheap.

Great deal given his defense and that he's still only 27. Love our outfield and that they're all locked up for a while.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Interesting that someone plays the "there will always be someone who complains" card.

Ever dawn on you that there are some people who agree with every move their favorite team makes. It's a natural reaction based on emotion that they don't want to believe the team made a mistake. It happens all the time. A perfect example occurs when fans are against a rumored move, then suddenly find a way to justify it once it's reality.

Either reaction,always negative or always positive, is of course wrong. What's also wrong is to label the opposing viewpoint as typical, biased, or patterned.

There are moves I agree with and moves I don't. I for one am thrilled the Brewers didn't spend just to spend this offseason and instead opted to see what they have with their young pitching. I have stated as much multiple times on this forum. So don't label me as someone who is always negative.

The facts are these...Gomez has a real problem getting on base, has an agent who never promotes signing an extension this close to free agency, (should speak volumes) and the Brewers have a very solid, very cheap, in-house replacement waiting in the wings.

Again, that is all based in fact. It's far from flippant, anti-establishment reasoning. And it shouldn't be cast off as such.

I guess I'm in the minority, this deal stinks. This is terrible bang-for-our-buck considering other options. Just an example of being foolish with money. The guy can't even get on base. $8 M per year for three years? The more I think about it, the more it ticks me off. A complete waste within the confines of our budget. Complete waste.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

But again the payroll going down has nothing at all to do with the Brewer financials and everything to do with no needs for players that were worth signing. This is a pretty good deal for us, Gomez will hit 20+ HR a year, he changed his approach and it is fully supported by his secondary stats. He'll still hit for low AVG and OBP though so not sure how much his offense will be worth.

I don't see any problem with this deal whatsoever. Another year like last year, and he might double this deal on the FA market. Also, as others said, barring a catastrophic injury, Gomez will always have some value... as opposed to some middling pitcher who would command a similar deal, and could either get injured or pull a Suppan.

By that logic the Brewers payroll should have gone up this year not down.

I was only responding to your comment about having a problem with what MLB players make.

Now being reported as a 3 year extension, so it's not clear if that $27.5 mil is including 2013 salary or not. I liked a $7 mil average much better than $9 mil.

From ESPN:

The deal is the 4.3mil for this year signed in January then 14:7mil 15:8mil 16:9mil

So, looking overall at really a 3year extension for 24mil.

Archived