Brewer Fanatic

Gomez Extended

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Rosiak ‏@Todd_Rosiak

I'm hearing the Brewers are going to extend Carlos Gomez's contract. Four years, around $27.5 million. Will update here in a bit.

With the amount of money CFs are getting on the open market, I think it's a good risk/reward to sign him now. Could end up being a steal if he keeps improving.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Can't believe he didn't go to free agency, especially with Boras as his agent. Not really sure how I feel about this, first reaction is not a fan.

Well it is at least a severe underpay compared to what he would have gotten in FA. Maybe he just likes it here.

I've never, ever seen Boras allow a player to do this, when he was this close to free agency.

I'd say it's a risk for the Brewers to give this player 4 years right now, but it's also a cheap way to fill CF for a while, compared to what guys have been getting.

I honestly don't know if I like the move or not.

These are the kind of risks the Brewers need to take IMO because if Carlos can keep his OPS at least in that .725-.800 range, it's a bargain given his defense and base running, especially with how salaries are exploding through baseball.

I hope we finally get to see the good Carlos Gomez. He plays good d but is a very frustrating hitter to watch. With Braun locked up forever and us owning the rights to Aoki for 5 years - sucks to be a brewers AA/AAA farmhand who plays OF

First of all love the deal for both sides, Gomez gets financial stability (if he falls off again would not have gotten this type of deal). Gives Brewers one of the best defensive outfielders in the game at close to or below market value. In my opinion from 2nd half last year and spring so far this year, he seems to have turned an offensive corner as well.

This also provides great outfield depth/trade bait with Schafer, Gindl, and KhDavis in the wings.

sucks to be a brewers AA/AAA farmhand who plays OF

It's a good thing darn near all of our best position prospects are outfielders and that's all we seem to draft in the first 10 rounds other than pitchers.

I don't like this at all. His "breakout" year included a .305 on base percentage (his only season with and OBP above .300 btw) and a .260 batting average. His power numbers really took off last season but we don't know if that is an outlier or the new norm. I just think this is too big of an investment for someone who has only had one above average season, especially with Schafer and Aoki both capable of playing CF for years to come.

Fantastic deal for the Brewers.

I wonder why he settled for that money now. Seems like a very low average annual salary.

TW Weekly did a piece on Carlos recently and he mentioned then just how much he wanted to remain a Brewer long term. That he loves the team, his teammates, the city, and so did his wife.

Given how Boras pretty much never has a client sign a deal while only being one year from free agency, i gotta believe that Gomez pushed Boras to get this done.

As a huge Gomez fan/apologist, I am ecstatic about this deal. As my wife just said, "At least your jersey t-shirt will be good for awhile longer." Guess she is still a little bitter since she decided to get a "Gamel" one 3 years ago.

The Brewers are so going to regret this.

I hope I'm wrong.

All the reasons to think this one blows up in their face are there. He's cracked a .300 OBP once. Boras actually let a client sign 1 year from free agency. Seriously, what does that tell you?

Archived