Brewer Fanatic

Miami New Times says sorry MLB, no records for you

miggs721

I love it, holy hell, the reasoning is awesom. JEFF LORIA!!! HAHAHAHA THIS RULES!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

They misrepresented a few things in the article.

For instance

Isn't he the same commissioner who in 2002 approved the complicated deal that gave Loria the Marlins, betrayed the City of Montreal, and caused Loria's partners to accuse the artful merchant of racketeering? (The charges were later rejected by an arbitrator but continue to roil baseball fans.)

Yes it is the same guy who did that. However moving a team who routinely drew 5000 fans hardly seems like betrayal.

Then there is the horrible, racist history we'd like to think ended when Jackie Robinson was signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946 but continued with white-trash owners like the Minnesota Twins' Calvin Griffith ("Black people don't go to the ball games, but they'll fill up a wrestling ring") and Marge Schott (who admired Adolf Hitler, used the N-word, and compared African-Americans to monkeys).

Griffith sold the team in 1984. How can you blame the current baseball hierarchy for that? Marge Schott had her team taken away from her by Selig for her racism. Seems disingenuous at best to suggest Bud, or any of the current administration, is racist based on such evidence. Seems to they he cleaned it up not allowed it to continue.

And finally there is the case of Mark McGwire, who admitted to using steroids throughout the 1990s before setting the record with 66 home runs in a season in 1999. Reporters spotted drugs in his locker and wrote about it, but the league allowed him to keep playing

Bit misleading here. McGwire didn't have illegal steroids in his locker. He had an over the counter supplement that was not banned at the time. Even if it was banned later why blame Bud when the union was protecting McGwire? Selig couldn't have prevented him from playing even if he wanted to.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

someones name has been blacked out :)

http://media.miaminewtimes.com/8626860.28.jpg

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

For clarity, the name that the Miami New Times chose to black out on the notebook paper is Ryan Braun. To me it's very interesting that they chose to indicate the names they blacked out for this reason in their editorial statement to Bud Selig:

"Only thing is, we have blacked out names of those who weren't demonstrably involved in any kind of malfeasance. If a lawyer, developer, or my barber wants to use testosterone, human growth hormone, or some other performance enhancer, that's his or her right. They're fundamentally different from athletes, who promise not to use these drugs and are role models for millions of kids."

Ryan Braun is an athlete - his name is listed on a piece of notebook paper right next to other MLB players the New Times decided to list in their story, who in their judgement were demonstrably involved in PED malfeasance. To me it's telling that they redacted Braun's name from this list of athletes - it indicates they had something that explained why he was on that paper, and it wasn't for a PED regimen he was using. The New Times was not giving athletes who showed up in Bosch's records a pass if there was enough supporting documentation of malfeasance. They even mentioned Gio Gonzalez's name again in the statement today, after it was reported by other media outlets that he wasn't implicated for PEDs. The New Times has essentially just vouched for Braun and discredited recent ESPN and Yahoo stories that showed Braun's name on that note paper.

Community Moderator

One New Times reporter's opinion on what demonstrates malfeasance isn't necessarily the same as the conclusion that others would draw. Ryan Braun's name is right in the middle of a list of other baseball players who supposedly crossed some sort of threshold defined by how many times they appeared next to other handwritten scribbles that supposedly represent the PEDs that they ordered. The whole thing is just ridiculous and it's impossible to draw any sort of conclusion.

Furthermore, if they already released all the important documents, why even bother writing this article?

Yeah, I have to say the writer of this article seems like somewhat of a buffoon who just wants to thump his chest.As Thurston Fluff pointed out, he really does not seem to have all the complete facts in regards to charges he makes against Selig and the history of baseball.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

While we can't say for sure, there had to be SOMETHING in those records for them to not include Braun. Braun would have arguably been the biggest name on that list, and his name is there clear as day, yet they didn't include it, are blocking it out on their website, etc. While it doesn't clear him, they very clearly stat that at least in the writer and editor's opinions, Braun wasn't receiving any PED's.

Furthermore, if they already released all the important documents, why even bother writing this article?

We all clicked the link, didn't we?

Agreed. But...they didn't release anything that definitively clears Braun. Which is what makes it odd. They didn't publish him for a reason...what was the reason? What other proof do they have?

What is also interesting to note is the date on the piece, listed as Thursday March 14, 2013, which is two days from now. I'm sure that doesn't matter in the grand scheme, but it also shows that fact checking isn't a priority for the Miami New Times apparently.

The manner in which the article is written doesn't scream "professionalism," either

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What is also interesting to note is the date on the piece, listed as Thursday March 14, 2013, which is two days from now. I'm sure that doesn't matter in the grand scheme, but it also shows that fact checking isn't a priority for the Miami New Times apparently.

I believe New Times is a weekly publication. The print edition probably comes out on Thursday.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Agreed. But...they didn't release anything that definitively clears Braun. Which is what makes it odd. They didn't publish him for a reason...what was the reason? What other proof do they have?

I wish they would disclose this, since Braun may be limited in what he can say it would be nice if a member of the media would support him if they have information to do so.

Some of us assumed TLDR --> look for important quotes.

I've largely given up caring about PED's these days, but the odds of a Braun suspension seem to be pretty low at this point, which I do care about ;) .

someones name has been blacked out :)

http://media.miaminewtimes.com/8626860.28.jpg

Second letter in the blacked out name looks like it could be a lower case y. Could be a lower case j,g,p as well.

That name isn't Ryan Braun. The last name has a letter that when written is above the black out area and raun wouldn't fall in that happening.

Community Moderator

It is Ryan Braun, Yahoo had the same papers without the blackout:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/l.3YcN33miqBVDi5WgLb2w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/ipt/braunname.jpg

Archived