Brewer Fanatic

The World Baseball Classic

Bikeage77
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe this game is not on mlb network radio on xm. Really? MLB, if you are not going to take the WBC seriously enough to broadcast it on all of your outlets I'm not sure how you expect anyone else to.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have loved the WBC so far. As I have posted in several other forums, I disagree with the current rules regarding eligibility in the sense that I don't think that guys should be able to play for a country that they are not even a citizen of Other than that, the tournament itself has been great and I have really enjoyed watching the games. Hoping for a good showing from Team USA in Round 2.

Loving the WBC and watching all these guys I have never heard of before (Japan especially) but this is the only thing I disagree with as well. I don't know why they do it exactly (competitive balance perhaps) but it really sits wrong with me that a player who is born and raised in the U.S. would want to play for the Dominican, as A-Rod wanted to do in 2009 IIRC. I think changing it to having been a native or a dual citizen of both countries may be a remedy. I am German and would root for Germany if the U.S. didn't win, but would never choose to play for Germany over the U.S. under any circumstances.

When the circumstances were "you wouldn't make the US roster," you wouldn't have a change of heart?

Nope, but that is just my point of view. I just couldn't see myself going against the United States (sports, politics, whatever). I may disagree with methods or means, but never against. Would seem off to me. That is just me though.

I agree with you completely WTP. Under the current rules I am eligible to play for Team Italy but could never imagine going against the US in a competition. Even the dual citizen thing gets a bit convoluted as guys who are three generation Americans are still eligible for Italian citizenship even having never even been to the country (as an example.) You are correct about ARod by the way, he played for the US in the first WBC and was going to play for the DR in the second until an injury.

Over 32,000 in attendance tonight! Crazy fact--that's the 7th largest crowd in Marlins Park history. Miami does have baseball fans, we just disapprove of Loria.

Just curious, OWBC, does Loria get any money by Marlins Park hosting the WBC? Or does MLB and the county/city get the proceeds?

Hiram Burgos looked really sharp for Team Puerto Rico this evening in their come from behind win over Team Italy. I was really impressed with Burgos' composure on mound, FB command and the movement on the pitch. He made me more of a believer tonight.

Hiram Burgos looked really sharp for Team Puerto Rico this evening in their come from behind win over Team Italy. I was really impressed with Burgos' composure on mound, FB command and the movement on the pitch. He made me more of a believer tonight.

He looked fantastic. Kept everything down. FB hit 91 and he was painting with it. Was that a cutter he was throwing too at around 86? Boy did that look like a good pitch as did his sharp late breaking slider. I think he's thrown himself right into the competition for a rotation spot with Rogers struggling mightily and Peralta not particularly sharp. Brewer brass had to be smiling. I was.

That's good to hear. I watched his first performance & thought the opposite.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sorry to ask again...but is the WBC (particularly US games) being broadcast in the U.S. anywhere but on MLB network? I haven't seen any U.S. games on TV elsewhere, and I don't get MLBN. I understand them wanting to boost ratings on their own network, but it's a bit odd to me they'd limit the viewership potential of a tournament they are trying to increase the popularity of.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can we all agree that any team that has Willie Bloomquist really can't be called an All Star team?

Without a doubt. It makes you wonder if David Wright had played if the outcome is different. He has carried this team all tournament long, and the US let a huge opportunity pass in the 1st.

they said tonight that Wright didn't play because Mets officials said he couldn't play, due to a tweaking of an injury or something. It was something very minor but the Mets didn't want any chances taken.

It had nothing to do with Torre.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

they said tonight that Wright didn't play because Mets officials said he couldn't play, due to a tweaking of an injury or something. It was something very minor but the Mets didn't want any chances taken.

It had nothing to do with Torre.

I don't mean just tonight.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Watching via MLB Gameday. I feel like this is a Doug Davis circa 2010 game. How slow is this game going?

Dominican pitchers probably had to celebrate every called strike.

Yes, that was VERY annoying to say the least.

Watching via MLB Gameday. I feel like this is a Doug Davis circa 2010 game. How slow is this game going?

Dominican pitchers probably had to celebrate every called strike.

Yes, that was VERY annoying to say the least.

Meh..I don't know. While I'm generally a person who doesn't like it when a player poses in the batters box after smashing a long HR (just put your head down and circle the bases), this is a bit of a different environment.

I think the announcers were kind of comparing it to a Carribean World Series type atmosphere and stated something like while normally those types of theatrics would be "unacceptable" in a MLB regular season game, in this situation with different counties and cultures, the normal MLB "rules of engagement" do not apply.

I guess I look at it as how is it different than someone like Donald Driver signaling a first down every time he caught a pass for a first down, or a defensive player's theatrics when making a big tackle or sack?

I am what I guess you would call "old school" and I appreciate the unwritten rules in baseball about not showing the other team up. In a MLB game I would be a little more annoyed, but I think the WBC kind of needs this type of stuff in order to appeal to the casual "football and basketball orientated" fan.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived