Brewer Fanatic

The World Baseball Classic

Bikeage77

I didn't see any other link to this, so if there is, please lock up this one.

Have you been following it? Is it more or less a spring training game to you?

Personally, I love it. To me it's meaningful games, though the pitch count can be a reason to grumble. The Dutch taking out Cuba is pretty exciting, as is Italy advancing to the second round. The bench clearling brawl between Mexico and Canada was the best I've seen.

I just haven't seen anyone else on the board talking about it, and thought since its once every four years it'd get some more recognition.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI - there is a lot of talk about the WBC in the "Axford, Braun, Gallardo, Lucroy, 8 others to play in 2013 WBC" thread, but I agree that there should be a separate thread dedicated to discussing the games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

funny that. mlb got what it wanted - players to care about participation of the WBC w the Mexico v Canada brawl. interesting the mexicans take exception to canada trying to run up the score after it succumbed to the mercy rule previous game. of course their players wouldnt have any appreciation for the obvious strategy, rather take it as an insult to machismo.

i'd attended both USA games vs mexico and canada. there was quite a demonstration outside of mexicans celebrating the mexican win. i'd love to have a pre-WBC survey. would you rather have your team advance to round 2 and lose to USA. or beat USA and get eliminated. i'd have to guess the results would be heavily slanted to the preference of elimination.

brewer participation was substantial from what i saw. there was 2 braun vs gallardo moments. i believe #8 was 0-1 vs #49. long drive to right center and a walk. when i noticed indeed canada's back bullpen config was henderson & axford, i dont think anyone on brewerfan.net forum wouldve been surprised that USA would explode for 7 runs in the 8th and 9th innings. who knew a brewer bullpen meltdown would be good for america.

Canada also didn't bring in Axford for the top of the 9th because Braun and Lucroy were waiting for him. I was really looking forward to those match ups.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I have loved the WBC so far. As I have posted in several other forums, I disagree with the current rules regarding eligibility in the sense that I don't think that guys should be able to play for a country that they are not even a citizen of Other than that, the tournament itself has been great and I have really enjoyed watching the games. Hoping for a good showing from Team USA in Round 2.

I'm hooked. I watched a lot of the elimination games last time and I've watched a lot more this time around. I hope it gets as big as the World Cup someday. (Not globally, just as big as the world cup is in the US now, if that makes any sense). Great drama and a great way to pass the doldrums until opening day!

I hated it the last tow times, but I admit this year I've tuned into parts of several games and enjoyed it. The infamous brawl looked a little half hearted to me. Sort of staged to get some fan interest going and start a conversation about the WBC in the media. There were a lot of guys holding onto each other's jerseys at arms length and pushing back and forth.

DocLuna7, they're just using Olympic rules for eligibility.

I was at the game yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Good crowd, even though small. Just good to be at a ballgame

Yeah, I know they are and I don't blame MLB for trying to put the best talent on each team. I guess that I have a problem with the IOC rules generally when it comes to eligibility.

The infamous brawl looked a little half hearted to me. Sort of staged to get some fan interest going and start a conversation about the WBC in the media. There were a lot of guys holding onto each other's jerseys at arms length and pushing back and forth.

Did you miss the couple groups of guys that were pummeling each other on the ground? There was more actual fighting in that brawl in any MLB brawl in a long time.

The infamous brawl looked a little half hearted to me. Sort of staged to get some fan interest going and start a conversation about the WBC in the media. There were a lot of guys holding onto each other's jerseys at arms length and pushing back and forth.

They were trying to pull it over their heads so they could beat them down like in hockey. :laughing Memo to team Mexico- If you're going to pick a fight choose a team not full of guys who played hockey.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I have loved the WBC so far. As I have posted in several other forums, I disagree with the current rules regarding eligibility in the sense that I don't think that guys should be able to play for a country that they are not even a citizen of Other than that, the tournament itself has been great and I have really enjoyed watching the games. Hoping for a good showing from Team USA in Round 2.

Loving the WBC and watching all these guys I have never heard of before (Japan especially) but this is the only thing I disagree with as well. I don't know why they do it exactly (competitive balance perhaps) but it really sits wrong with me that a player who is born and raised in the U.S. would want to play for the Dominican, as A-Rod wanted to do in 2009 IIRC. I think changing it to having been a native or a dual citizen of both countries may be a remedy. I am German and would root for Germany if the U.S. didn't win, but would never choose to play for Germany over the U.S. under any circumstances.

Community Moderator

I'm really into the WBC also, I'm really disappointed that I can't make it to the game tonight and that the game isn't available on MLB.tv.

Ultimately the purpose of the WBC is to spread the game globally so if the eligibility rules result in the growth of baseball in the Netherlands and Italy, then I'm all for it. Plus, fans love the underdog.

The expected attendance for US-PR tonight (20,000 range) might be higher than any 2013 Marlins game. The US vs. one of its own territories is another odd matchup that is only possible in the WBC.

Loving the WBC and watching all these guys I have never heard of before (Japan especially) but this is the only thing I disagree with as well. I don't know why they do it exactly (competitive balance perhaps) but it really sits wrong with me that a player who is born and raised in the U.S. would want to play for the Dominican, as A-Rod wanted to do in 2009 IIRC. I think changing it to having been a native or a dual citizen of both countries may be a remedy. I am German and would root for Germany if the U.S. didn't win, but would never choose to play for Germany over the U.S. under any circumstances.

When the circumstances were "you wouldn't make the US roster," you wouldn't have a change of heart?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When the circumstances were "you wouldn't make the US roster," you wouldn't have a change of heart?

Nope, but that is just my point of view. I just couldn't see myself going against the United States (sports, politics, whatever). I may disagree with methods or means, but never against. Would seem off to me. That is just me though.

Kalle - Is there a lot of WBC chatter in Italy?

nope. today's game was the first game broadcasted and it was announced two hours before the game. no one talks about it and it's a pity. it s true there are not many italians , but so it is for the rugby italian side with tons of stranger who are treated like heros with plenty of press and tv coverege despite being a loosing team since i ever watched sports (and i started early).

edit for spelling

I for one have been loving it. I thought most of the pool D games were pretty fun to watch, the USA/Mexico and USA/Canada games were pretty much must watch tv for me this past weekend.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived