Brewer Fanatic

Mike Fiers is on fire

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the thing with Fiers in 2013 is that he was downright terrible throughout all of spring training, which reflected no improvement from the way his 2012 ended. That it carried over into the regular season is what made it so concerning.

That said, I LOVE that Fiers has re-found his game and I've got pretty decent confidence in him going forward.

The notion, floated above, that a player's performance "doesn't change what he is" boggles my mind. It's the scouting version of statistical blinders. Performance tells us what a player is. If Mike Fiers does something, he does it for a reason or reasons, and those reasons tell us more than we knew before about his ability.

This is a strange player, and traditionalists often want to fit strange players into familiar boxes. I want to see what he can do, and I'm pretty sure at this point the organization is on board with that.

Couldn't agree more. Fiers has often been compared to Josh Collmenter. Collmenter has a 3.45 career ERA in 508 innings. I'll take that over the long haul for a starter any day.

The Brewers have a very valuable pitcher in Fiers, if they don't do something silly.

He's in the prime years of his pitching career right now, making peanuts because of his late-starting arbitration clock. The Brewers should simply ride Fiers year to year, be willing to pay escalating arbitration salaries for Fiers until he reaches free agency, then either trade him at the deadline of his free agent season or simply let him walk. Fiers isn't the type of pitcher that should be given a contract extension of even moderate free agent contract, but while he's pitching effectively at the big league level at near leage-minimum prices he's great to have in the rotation. I don't think trading him now when his trade value seems at its peak would net enough talent in return to justify removing him from the Brewer rotation next season - teams aren't going to part ways with top-tier prospects for him. Fiers' combination of production and arbitration status is uniquely valuable to the Brewers, and it would be tough for them to get equal value in return.

Fiers to me is a better version of Marco Estrada, who himself has reached the point of getting too expensive to consider keeping around much longer for what he gives you.

Prime years for pitchers are usually earlier than hitters. He is on the back end of his prime. He about the same age as Gallardo. I would expect Fiers to pitch well in the minors. My hope is that he doesn't fall apart in the next couple years which is a distinct possibility.

I think if somebody offers you one or two good young players Fiers is the type of guy you trade.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived