Brewer Fanatic

The last year of Brian Anderson?

chadomac

I found an old link to an OnMilwaukee.com article today that noted Brian Anderson signed an extension through the 2013 season.

Do you think this will be our final year with BA? I fear that it will. I think he is one of the best and I'm not the only one due to the fact that TBS employs him in the playoffs every year.

I would not be surprised at all to see him leave for another market willing to pay him more after this season, but I really do hope I'm wrong.

Community Moderator

I think he'll stick around. He has a busy schedule doing TBS and BTN, but there isn't much else going on in the summer besides baseball and he seems to enjoy it. In the long run he might leave a hosting job or something that requires a larger commitment. Matt Vasgersian continued to broadcast for the Padres until he took the MLB network job in 2009.

That being said, the Brewers should definitely consider finding a better backup.

I think his future is with the new Fox Sports network. I think they'll want their own identity (vis a vis Fox Network sports coverage where Joe Buck is king) and he's a logical guy. He's well versed in all sports and talented as a play by play guy. I would assume the new network is going to bid for rights to various sports, and he just seems a good fit. The only issue may be timing.

I can't see him staying. He's already doing national broadcasts in other sports. And if the new Fox Sports channel wants their own guy, it might very well be him. Good call JB. Though as of right now, I think the only sports they have for sure is the Catholic 7 basketball, so I guess he could do that and still work with the Brewers and FSN.

I really didn't like BA much to begin with but he's grown on me and watching other games on Extra Innings, he's head and shoulders above many, many others.

boy, if he were to leave I'd be very disappointed. I wouldn't be mad or anything but kind of let down. He's an incredible asset for the team although he doesn't do a single thing to help the team win a ballgame.

I shudder to think who we'd get if he left, knowing what's out there.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Ya I've been thinking about this here and there the last couple years. I think he will get offered something he can't refuse. I think he's very solid and I would be sad to see him go. I have faith that the organization will continue to put solid people in place. They have a good track record.

Community Moderator

IIRC, the Anderson hire was unconventional because he had very little experience, only minor league baseball and the golf channel. For some unknown reason, many MLB teams just recycle the same garbage announcers from other teams. I would expect the Brewers to make a good choice again if they have to find someone.

I'm in the minority, but I still think he does MLB in 2014 and the Brewers recognize what they have and will pay the price to keep him.

Why am I thinking that he's going to go back to broadcasting golf when I read the title of this thread?
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Why am I thinking that he's going to go back to broadcasting golf when I read the title of this thread?

Seems appropriate since his style tends to make me fall asleep. Not a big loss in my book. Anyone who actually follows golf on TV or radio is a really odd duck.

I think he's great. I'm not sure how to express it well, but one thing he does is take some of the edge off of Bill. A lot of times he will subtly put in a counter argument. Where Bill will want to rant for a while, he just puts it out there and lets it go. He also keeps things light or maybe positive is the way to say it.

I really became aware of it when BA did some other game and it was Bill and Coshun. I like Craig all right, but they came off like a couple cranky old guys.

I also think its interesting that he doesn't have a signature HR call, yet its still spontaneous and exciting.

Formerly AKA Pete

I also think its interesting that he doesn't have a signature HR call, yet its still spontaneous and exciting.

That's a really interesting point. You're right -- his enthusiasm is really what's signature on HR calls.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"she is . . . gone!"

and

"There she goes!"

come to mind. But they seem to be "forced" signature calls, like he's trying to put his mark on that call but even he is unsure of the sound of it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"she is . . . gone!"

and

"There she goes!"

come to mind. But they seem to be "forced" signature calls, like he's trying to put his mark on that call but even he is unsure of the sound of it.

He is the most vanilla announcer in baseball and that isn't always a bad thing, guys like Hawke Harrelson are just awful with their 'flair'.

Big BA fan. I hope he can retain his national work while continuing with the Brewers. Have to think he's had plenty of offers to go elsewhere. I would think the new Fox Sports venture could be a big risk, but maybe that just takes him from his TBS work.

As pointed out by WTP, losing him risks a blowhard like Sutton or a snore-fest like Joe Block coming in. BA walks that fine line of fun, informative, a little vanilla but entertaining. Good rapport with Schroeder too.

He does a great job on BTN as well.

Archived