Brewer Fanatic

Richie Weeks, alive and well...

Nottso

I find this appalling. Rickie's been in the majors for quite a few years now and has been an all-star, yet there are still baseball writers that can't even manage to get his name right. They managed to get "Khris" right, but can't handle "Rickie"?

Story accredited to the Associated Press.

"Richie Weeks and Carlos Gomez had RBI hits for the Brewers, and Khris Davis hit long home run over the grass berm in left-center in the seventh."

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/03/05/13/Saunders-Morneau-help-Canada-beat-Brewer/landing_brewers.html?blockID=874223&feedID=5065

Probably a commentary on how dependant society has become on spell check. An Editor should have caught the mis-type, but nowadays, if it doesn't have a squiggly red line under it, it goes unnoticed. Had he typed "Ricjie" then it probably would've been corrected, but since "Richie" is an actual word it made it through.

As to Richie, er, I mean Rickie... here's to a healthy and productive season. The Brewers need the "real" Rickie Weeks to step forward this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He's been referred to as Richie before, either in print or on television. I can't remember for sure where, but I think there was a bit of discussion about it on here. Hence the "alive and well" portion of the subject title.

If Weeks spelled his name Ricky, there wouldn't be the confusion. That's been the usual spelling of those going by that name. Ricky Henderson wasn't Rickie Henderson. A lot of people look and think Rickie is a misspelling of Richie as in Richie Allen.

That people don't know him after all these years isn't a surprise. How often does ESPN lead with Brewers highlights?

As a non-written example, there were broadcasters who never got the pronunciation of "Burnitz" right, and he was far from obscure. I heard Jeromy's name mispronounced on the air fairly recently.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived