Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Cano, ARod, Granderson rumored to have failed PED test

Ennder

Buster Olney is the worst. Just, the worst. He should write for Gossip Girl instead of MLB. His writing 'skillset' is geared more for teenagers looking for drama.

Look at the stark contrast of Heyman and Olney's tweets....Heyman flat out says it's all BS. Flat out, end of story, move on.

Olney, on the other hand, leaves a little drama and gray area....he's not necessarily saying it's all false, or even discrediting the report for that matter - as Heyman boldly did - Olney's just acknowledging the speculation and that he's not allowed to report on said speculation. In the end - Needzzz moar Twitterz followwwerrrzzzz!!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buster Olney on Twitter: Response to many questions: We can't report 'might be' PED stories. Either a positive PED test or a suspension. No gray area, or no report.

ESPN has never reported a "might be" PED story?

Their report last offseason was a positive PED test for Braun.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It really is stunning how something as small as a single tweet from a guy with almost no following has made such a deep and far-reaching impact on fans.

If it turns out to not be true, then the next "leak" will mostly be ignored. But if it really turns out to be these players failing PED tests, this guy is going to be a rock star.

Yeah, if he hadn't done the Melky tweet I wouldn't have even passed this on to the site. I'd have shrugged and ignored it. If he gets a 2nd one correct suddenly I'm following him on twitter~.

ESPN also reported that Braun's name appeared in notes that might have been written by Bosch and that on another list with no link to PEDs or proof of its origin for that matter reported that someone in the know says there was no reason to be on that list other than being a purchaser of PEDs.

That's just a massive fail ethically.

These are the same guys who think that a medical degree makes you an expert on chemistry.

Formerly AKA Pete

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that there was no proof that steroids helped baseball players...really?

First of all, strength does matter - the reason a 12-year-old can't swing a 34 oz. bat as quickly as a 25-year-old ball player. Yes, there are other factors, but strength is a big one.

Secondly, so it's just a coincidence that the average SLG from '96-'06 was .425...Meanwhile, from '90-'95 it was .399 and from '07-'12 it was .411 as a league average. Also, we just happened to see major spikes in HR, including larger numbers of players hitting 50, as well as 60+ and even a couple hit 70+. All just a big coincidence that it happened during a period where steroids and other drugs were somewhat common?

Finally, certain drugs and chemicals are said to help with or improve eyesight - sort of a big deal when it comes to seeing and hitting a baseball. And, of course, why would guys continue to take these and risk ridicule and possibly money if they don't do anything?

Secondly, so it's just a coincidence that the average SLG from '96-'06 was .425...Meanwhile, from '90-'95 it was .399 and from '07-'12 it was .411 as a league average. Also, we just happened to see major spikes in HR, including larger numbers of players hitting 50, as well as 60+ and even a couple hit 70+. All just a big coincidence that it happened during a period where steroids and other drugs were somewhat common?

Nope, it was expected. MLB expanded twice in that time frame and expansion always comes with a bump in offense. They also moved to a new company building their baseballs of which tests proved would fly up to 40 ft farther than the old balls. Take steroids out of the equation and you would have seen an absolutely massive HR spike those years anyway. If steroids were the driving force in the increased offense it would have lasted a lot longer because testing didn't really catch on for a number of years later. Steroids played a part in the offensive explosion but it was a really minor part.

Boy, I think you are in denial if you don't think steroids played a HUGE part in the spike in HRs. Steroids make you stronger and gives you more endurance and allows you to recover, not only from injury, but just to be 100% every day. By definition all those things make a player better. If they didn't, guys wouldn't lift weights, eat properly, take supplements, take care of their bodies like temples. Steroids don't make a guy off the street in to an all star, but they sure can make a good baseball player more explosive. It's not rocket science.

Players people would never accuse of using steroids experienced huge increases in power in the 1990s, ie Tony Gwynn.

I do think Ennder has valid points and yes, there was a power surge in the 90's from those factors. But I just don't think you can deny the effect that steroids have on the human body and therefore on the game of baseball. More speed, power, explosiveness = more potential.

Boy, I think you are in denial if you don't think steroids played a HUGE part in the spike in HRs. Steroids make you stronger and gives you more endurance and allows you to recover, not only from injury, but just to be 100% every day. By definition all those things make a player better. If they didn't, guys wouldn't lift weights, eat properly, take supplements, take care of their bodies like temples. Steroids don't make a guy off the street in to an all star, but they sure can make a good baseball player more explosive. It's not rocket science.

Yeah...I can't agree more. Also, just look at guys like Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire. Look at how their bodies looked early in their career and how they looked in their 30's. It was almost comical. It's also funny now that baseball has expanded it's drug testing that you don't see anyone hitting 50 or 60 HRs, or even nearly the amount of players in 40 HRs as you had at the height of the steroid era. There is no way you will ever convince me that steroids did not have a major effect on the statistics during that period.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

We all know everything we read on Twitter, or the intrawebz, is true, right?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7696/stashtweet.png

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Yeah...I can't agree more. Also, just look at guys like Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire. Look at how their bodies looked early in their career and how they looked in their 30's. It was almost comical. It's also funny now that baseball has expanded it's drug testing that you don't see anyone hitting 50 or 60 HRs, or even nearly the amount of players in 40 HRs as you had at the height of the steroid era. There is no way you will ever convince me that steroids did not have a major effect on the statistics during that period.

Yep and let guys be in top form well in to their late 30's. I still think it was a great time to watch baseball and I still think Bonds is the best player I've ever seen. It didn't give him a better eye or more ability to hit a ball, it just made him more explosive. He was amazing and I think he should be in the hall of fame.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm guessing that Bret Boone and Brady Anderson took steroids. Just a hunch.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that there was no proof that steroids helped baseball players...really?

First of all, strength does matter - the reason a 12-year-old can't swing a 34 oz. bat as quickly as a 25-year-old ball player. Yes, there are other factors, but strength is a big one.

Agreed. Increased strength = better bat speed, making it easier to make solid contact as opposed to fouling off good pitches. You can also wait longer to start your swing, giving you more time to recognize pitches. Plus when you're stronger you don't feel the need to overswing to gain power. Also, the steroids result in less muscle soreness and shorter recovery time after workouts - reducing fatigue and making it easier to concentrate.

I don't pretend to have any science or stats to back this up, but I don't think we can assume that steroids don't help players make better contact.

blood testing is happening, just fyi

in regards to everything said in this thread

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/506587/explodinghead.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Steroids played a part in the offensive explosion but it was a really minor part.

Barry Bonds goes from hitting a career high of 46 homeruns at age 28 where one would figure a hitter to be at his peak Then from age 35-39 never hit less than 45 with a peak of 73. When players are producing significantly above their peak physical years in what should be their declining years I'd call that more than a really minor part.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived