Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Cano, ARod, Granderson rumored to have failed PED test

Ennder

That is true but lets be honest here, there has been no proof that these new steroids help performance at all, they have studied them and the results are completely inconclusive. This is not the anabolic steroid era at all. There is no proof at all that these new steroids do more than get players ready to recover from injuries faster.

Have they studied the long term health effects? Obviously not since these are new drugs. Even using these things to recover faster makes it harder for other players to compete without having to resort to meds that have, at the very least, questionable long term health effects. Perhaps instead of saying we should let anything go until it is proven to hurt we say don't allow it until it is proven not to.

I agree. And when you think about the difference between a guy living in poverty in the Dominican Republic and even just hanging on for a year or two as a fringe major leaguer, the temptation is understandable.

That is what the latest batch of suspend players fell under. Which is why I think guys like Braun and Cano are either victims of a witch hunt or amazingly stupid/greedy. Thankfully the players and their union seem to want PEDs out of the game as much as fans and management do. I wish the NFL was the same way.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Braun is stupid enough to be taking PED after what happened last year then he deserves to be suspended. I just can't believe that he is with all that he can potential lose.I agree when were these tests and if all failed shouldn't we have heard from MLB.

I have another Question who is leaking these names if these results are supposed to be secretive

until the players appeal is heard. I was also wondering if this Guy can get into any kind of trouble if these guys named are Innocent.

The followup doesn't say much, other than something about him not being a journalist and that he's not credible but that it doesn't mean he is wrong. I guess only time will tell, but it sure seems fishy to me. All of it.

Even with the rules being enforced there is no guarantee that the cheaters are using anything illegal that will show up in testing. Banning substances is easy. Catching cheaters is not.

Agreed, but catching cheaters equates to enforcing the rules. So if the test is inconclusive, then maybe the substance in question shouldn't be illegal?

The other possibility is they don't have a good test for it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If steroids did no long term damage, then they should be as legal. I mean if guys are taking them to bounce back from injury isn't that a good thing? Don't we WANT guys like Braun and Cano playing as many games as they can?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When can we expect to hear from MLB on way or another?

MLB would only say something if any of these guys failed, had their appeal hearing, and then were being suspended.

This guy said he was a month ahead of the Melky announcement, so I would guess we're about a month away from an answer on these guys.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
When can we expect to hear from MLB on way or another?

MLB would only say something if any of these guys failed, had their appeal hearing, and then were being suspended.

This guy said he was a month ahead of the Melky announcement, so I would guess we're about a month away from an answer on these guys.

But my fantasy baseball draft is in two weeks!!!!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's possible this just happened recently, but to this point, Braun certainly isn't acting like someone on the verge of a 50 game suspension.

He stated in late January that he was enjoying a "quiet and uneventful off season".

He stated that he would help in any way possible with MLB's investigation into the Bosch thing. If he figured he was getting suspended for a failed drug test, why keep trying to maintain your image? Why keep trying to fool everyone if you knew you failed another test? Doesn't make sense.

It's possible that MLB is planning on suspending them for the Bosch situation but I haven't seen Granderson or Cano linked to that place at all, and based on a piece of paper, that would seem impossible without more evidence.

As far as I'm aware, there is no off-season testing. So the timeline just doesn't seem to fit here. All these guys would have had to have been tested immediately after they arrived at Spring Training. Their tests would have had to have been sent to the lab and finalized. The appeals would have to have been nearly completed. That also means Braun would have had to have come into Spring Training on the juice. I do not consider Braun to be that stupid.

You would think that after the Braun leak in 2011, MLB has made even more of an effort to keep this process confidential. This whole "rumor" seems preposterous. And what makes it even more unbelievable is that it's being perpetuated by a Mets fan who is implicating all Yankees except one, Braun.

Follow me on Twitter

If steroids did no long term damage, then they should be as legal. I mean if guys are taking them to bounce back from injury isn't that a good thing? Don't we WANT guys like Braun and Cano playing as many games as they can?

That is a big if. On some future day if they are found to be perfectly safe we can address changes then. Until that point there is no reason to lift the ban and testing. That way nobody has to take a chance their long term health will be harmed just to be on an even playing field (no pun intended.)

As far was wanting to see those guys I want to see baseball played by baseball players not some sort chemistry lab experiment. It would mean teams who do a good job of building depth would be rewarded for it. It would change baseball in some ways but I don't think necessarily for the worse. Then again I have always been more of a team follower than a player follower. I realize there are others who are more star oriented. I suppose it would detract from their experience more than mine.

Cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and alchohol have been proven to cause long term health problems - people that justify banning PEDs from sports for the health of the kids are a bit shortsighted when our society as a whole has no problem with nonstop advertising and marketing for these legal substances.

PEDs are more scrutinized in baseball because IMO it's the one major sport where individual statistics carry significance. Nobody cares about individual football or basketball statistics for players. If baseball as a whole continues to view individual player statistics as a way of judging the all time greats, then by all means PEDs need to be kept from the game. Then again, if you'd ask an old timer I bet they'd also think lasik eye surgery, Tommy John surgery, and many of the advanced training room treatments are versions of performance enhancing things in their own right.

I always welcome correction if I'm wrong. And without digging through all the stuff on my hard drive, I can't post links. I'm relatively certain that there is unannounced off-season testing. More importantly, I don't believe its necessary to fail a test to be suspended. The whole biogenesis thing was churning away and has gone silent. That would fit with either no more evidence being found or suspensions filed and appeals ongoing. Its worth noting that there was a reference to a computer printout that oddly was cited as evidence that Gio G. was innocent.

I don't think there is any question that Rob Manfred wants to bring down Braun. Given what Selig said to Phil Rogers, that he believed that Braun used steroids during the playoff game to "amp up" and the Olympic testing labs history of zealotry I am personally worried not so much that he's guilty but that its irrelevant.

I think there is a business opportunity for a 3rd party lab to collect daily urine samples of athletes and store them at the -80 centigrade that i believe is the lab standard.

Formerly AKA Pete

Cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and alchohol have been proven to cause long term health problems - people that justify banning PEDs from sports for the health of the kids are a bit shortsighted when our society as a whole has no problem with nonstop advertising and marketing for these legal substances.

Which one of those vices forces someone to make the choice of using them or losing millions of dollars because someone else is using them?

Frankly, I'm not against the use of PED's because I'm concerned about player health, I'm against it because I can't stand cheaters. There is no way in a million years that sports would ever allow PED use in this day and age. Look at the people crawling out of the woodwork to sue the NFL because they received a concussion. You'd have the same thing down the road with steroids, where the lawyers would tie every known malady to affect the elderly to them.

Buster Olney on Twitter: Response to many questions: We can't report 'might be' PED stories. Either a positive PED test or a suspension. No gray area, or no report.

ESPN has never reported a "might be" PED story?

Archived