Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Harang

The Brewers are now linked to Harang, as is Baltimore...and it shouldn't really surprise anyone, there's no question the Dodgers will trade a veteran SP.

Harang is signed for 7M this year, with an option/buyout for next year.

Harang is signed for 7M this year, with an option/buyout for next year.

The article at MLB.com says he is signed for $5M for 2013 and $8M for 2014 with a $2M buyout so the $7M would include the buyout.

I'm not sure about bringing in another 4/5 pitcher, unless we have an injury, makes the Brewers better and if the orioles are in the bidding it will be too costly for the return.

I wouldn't mind getting Harang as long as we didn't have to give up much besides salary relief. According to Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, the contract is $5MM this year with an option for 2014 for $8MM with a $2MM buyout, so we'd be on the hook for a guaranteed $7MM minimum, or $13MM if we exercised the option. It's not a bad contract, so really the only thing lost would be the chance for the young guys to "show us what they've got at the big league level."

I would guess it would mean Peralta would start the year in AAA (giving us another year's service time from him) and Narveson and Rogers would fight it out for fifth starter / long man. Hellwig's chances of making the Brewers would probably diminish, but it would make for a fun-to-watch Nashville rotation (Peralta, Thornberg, Hellwig, Burgos, Bucci)

edit: "and if the orioles are in the bidding it will be too costly for the return."

That was my concern as well. If we'd have to give up something decent in return, I'd pass. Melvin seems okay at these type deals (Morgan, Hairston), so hopefully the prospect we'd give up would be useless.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

As long as we don't give up too much I would be interested in seeing what he has left. Our potential starting pitchers have so much variability in their projections - they could be better than Harang or they could be much, much worse. Harang would be someone that could toss 180 innings of predictable back end of the rotation innings. Picking him up would allow us to have a shorter leash or put less pressure on inexperienced pitching staff.

I suspect the Brewers are just doing due diligence in case Harang is cut at the end of spring training or a Brewer starter has an injury. There's no room for him on the Dodgers.

I don't see any way the Brewers would give up something in a trade for even half his remaining salary. They passed on guys all off season in that price range who didn't require something in return.

I think the Brewers are looking for one veteran they can get late in spring on a minor league deal with an out clause to be insurance for their rotation.

I"d rather look into Wang myself.

I don't think the Brewers are looking into anyone at this point. I heard the discussion last night on WTMJ, and it sounded like Melvin wasn't happy with the Harang rumor because he doesn't want added pressure on the guys he's got. The national "experts" seem to keep thinking the Brewers are looking, but Melvin's taken a pass on every conceivable option at all cost levels all offseason. I think the only thing that would change that is an injury or really bad performances this spring.

I think it really depends on the internal discussions the owners have had with Melvin regarding money. It seems that they would've given him a little more payroll for someone like Dempster who has proven to be a good pitcher for quite a while now, but he probably doesn't have extra money to just "throw around." The owners gambled a bit last year and lost when they didn't make the playoffs. That cost them money. This year, they probably want to make sure there are pretty good odds that they'll make some money.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived