Brewer Fanatic

The Coolest Brewers Memory EVER Is...

splitterpfj

I've been a fan of this team since 1974, when I was all of 7-years-old. I remember all but the first few seasons of the franchise, so I've got great memories from plenty of different eras in team history.

I was trying to decide what my favorite Brewers memory is, and it's not easy, but I picked one.

My favorite Brewers memory happened in 1978. My dad and I went to a doubleheader one Sunday, to watch the Brewers play Toronto twice. (Yes folks, they used to schedule two games on the same day on purpose). The Brewers took a huge step forward in '78...Molitor came up, Larry Hisle signed here, Mike Caldwell turned into an absolute stud on the mound, and the Brewers stayed right in the race most of the way. This, after being horrible in '76, and only modestly better in '77.

That day, the Brewers won a close Game One, on a late-inning home run by Larry Hisle. Then they won game two, when Robin Yount hit the first pitch of the bottom of the 9th into the left field bleachers...final score, 5-4.

What I remember most about that was the crowd reaction after the games. No one wanted to leave the stadium...the weather was beautiful, the team was on a roll, and it was really FUN to be a Brewer fan. As Dad and I walked to the car, there were people losing their minds all over that place. Guys were dancing on the hoods of their cars, people were high-fiving total strangers, the whole thing felt like more of a gathering of friends than a chance meeting of strangers.

I think that was the first time I felt like the game I had gone to was more than just watching a baseball game, it was a great experience at the ballpark.

That's my favorite Brewers memory...what's yours?

While this is a recurring thread topic, I am all for re-remembering great baseball memories. It might make the next four weeks easier to take. :) Plus, the thread to which djoctagone linked ends before NLDS game 5.

I feel lucky to have lots of cool memories to choose from, so I'll have to give this some thought.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Splitter,

This was also my fathers best Brewers memory of all time. Best Baseball fans were Brewers fans back then. Our fans really need to get even crazier and louder during the games. Not just playoff games, but regular season games as well. The potential is there we just need to let it out. I wish there was video of the games in 78 and 79. That would be amazing footage that every Brewers fans should see.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

From 2007 to 2008, I was blessed to work for the Brewers in their stadium command center and performed some security functions as well. I was blessed enough that day to be standing on the field with the boys, covered in champagne and booze after clinching the playoffs for the first time in 26 years. That is something I'll never forget. I lost my Dad just two months prior unexpectedly at the age of 48. I couldn't help but think there was some divine intervention that day. The Counsell bases loaded walk, the Braun HR, the walkoff GIDP. What a moment.

My coolest Brewer memory was this rain delay

I remember parking on Bluemound and getting KFC before the game. My dad was without a job at the time, so we couldn't afford to park in the lot. It was pouring at the game and we were drenched the whole walk back to the car. With the Dempsey skit and the rain it was great for a young boy.

I've posted on here many times of favorite memories from the 70's. 1978 and 1979 were truly magical, and in some respects they were really better than 82, only because the turnaround was so new and so welcome.

But if I had to pick one it would be the series vs. the Yankees in late July 1979. The Yankees were the sworn enemy and they were at their nastiest. Munson would be tragically killed less than a week later. The series had plenty of Brewer heroes. Cooper had a 3 HR game in the opener including a walk off. Caldwell and Reggie got into it too. Sixto (Sixto was like a comet, he came and for an ever so brief time, he was great) had a great night in game 2 as the Brewers pounded them. Game 3 featured another brawl when Piniella spiked Gantner on a slide into 3rd (yes Gantner played some 3rd in those days).

The 79 team remains my favorite of all time. They were done in by their bullpen and the back end of the rotation (Reggie Cleveland omg!), but boy were they fun.

I was ten when the Braves left Milwaukee. I was crushed. Especially since Eddie Mathews and his family lived up the road.

I cut school for opening day in 1970. Got into a lot of trouble. To watch baseball again in County stadium was awesome. Too bad the Angels clobbered the Brewers.

I ended up getting a job as vender that year. Even more fun.

I've posted on here many times of favorite memories from the 70's. 1978 and 1979 were truly magical, and in some respects they were really better than 82, only because the turnaround was so new and so welcome.

But if I had to pick one it would be the series vs. the Yankees in late July 1979. The Yankees were the sworn enemy and they were at their nastiest. Munson would be tragically killed less than a week later. The series had plenty of Brewer heroes. Cooper had a 3 HR game in the opener including a walk off. Caldwell and Reggie got into it too. Sixto (Sixto was like a comet, he came and for an ever so brief time, he was great) had a great night in game 2 as the Brewers pounded them. Game 3 featured another brawl when Piniella spiked Gantner on a slide into 3rd (yes Gantner played some 3rd in those days).

The 79 team remains my favorite of all time. They were done in by their bullpen and the back end of the rotation (Reggie Cleveland omg!), but boy were they fun.

I seem to recall a newspaper photo of Reggie Jackson, having stormed the mound, with Mike Caldwell by the throat. Not sure if it was that series or not.

I have a fond memory of having (sneaking?) a radio in junior high (1975-77) to listen to opening day.

I was not one to do much sneaking, so I think the teachers were pretty tolerant of us getting an occasional update.

edited: My online search of the Journal Sentinel archives has that fight happening on July 27. 1979. They have the Sentinel in their archives, but not the Journal--and we were a Journal family. There is a Sentinel photo of a big fight around the mound area. That had to have been the incident. Wonder if that Journal issue is still around in anyone's attic. . .

After Carlos Gomez scored on Nyjer Morgan's single to move them on the NLCS in 2011. As a season ticket holder in Nashville I have become friends with a few of the guys and still have stayed in touch with a few after their call ups. Anyway, after GoMo scored and all the craziness broke out I sent a text up telling one how happy my girlfriend and I were for them. Not expecting to get an answer we were both shocked and beyond happy when about 10 mins later and with all the craziness still going on at Miller Park we got an answer back. It made us feel we were right there with them.

I seem to recall a newspaper photo of Reggie Jackson, having stormed the mound, with Mike Caldwell by the throat. Not sure if it was that series or not.

I have a fond memory of having (sneaking?) a radio in junior high (1975-77) to listen to opening day.

I was not one to do much sneaking, so I think the teachers were pretty tolerant of us getting an occasional update.

edited: My online search of the Journal Sentinel archives has that fight happening on July 27. 1979. They have the Sentinel in their archives, but not the Journal--and we were a Journal family. There is a Sentinel photo of a big fight around the mound area. That had to have been the incident. Wonder if that Journal issue is still around in anyone's attic. . .

That was the series Jim H. Caldwell had knocked Reggie down in that AB, then got him to fly out, as Reggie rounded first, he headed for the mound. Caldwell is one of my all time favorites. That was in the series opener. I had an upper box seat next for the series sitting next to a Yankee fan who had traveled to see the series from New York. The atmosphere at County Stadium that weekend was the best I had ever experienced. Actually the fight at 3rd base on Sunday was even better. Mike Ferraro, the former Brewer, who was Yankee 3rd base coach, went nuts going after Gantner who took exception to Piniella spiking him.

Don't get to a lot of games living away from the state now, but was lucky enough to be there for this. It gets overlooked a little, but without this game the drama that followed a couple days later wouldn't have mattered.

1. Game 162 to go to the Wild Card

2. Game 5 of the NLDS

3. Yount's 3000th Hit

4. Nolan Ryans's 300th Win

5. Easter Sunday Miracle (My mom and I were driving home from my Grandparents and she had to pull off the road we were so excited)

Honorable Mention: CC's first start at The Keg

Any of the three playoff games I attended were great as they were all wins, but for regular season, I think those are the ones I'll remember most.

Sitting in the upper deck, our usual Terrace Box seats with my old man, who went to Braves games when he was a kid, and hearing him say, "You know, I've never seen a walk off granny."

20 seconds later...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not sure this is the coolest compared to winning divisions or wildcard spots, but it was special to me. The first year I went to AZ (2004) to visit my parents was in late February, but a couple of days before the first ST game. I just wanted to go to Maryvale Stadium just to see it and find out if anything was going on. Sure enough, the gates were wide open and people could come and go as they please, so we walk in. It turns out the Crew were having an Intersquad game, so we sat down right by the home dugout and watched the entire game with only about 20 or so others milling about. When the game ended, a handful of people came over by the fence trying to get some autographs, so I decided to join to see if I would have any luck. There were only 3 young players that came over to sign: Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, and Prince Fielder. They all signed for everyone and even took a few minutes to chat. Needless to say, it was something I will always treasure.

I am about 7 or 8 (1989 or 1990) in Chandler for Spring Training. Robin Yount, still in uniform, is standing at a chainlink fence signing autographs for everyone. When its my turn, he puts his batting bag down, opens it, grabs a batting glove and sticks it through the fence for me. The woman next to me, probably 35-40, grabs the batting glove out of my hand and runs off. Robin Yount (ROBIN YOUNT!) yells at the woman for me saying..."Hey!! Come back here! I was giving that to the kid!!" The woman sheepishly walks back gives Robin the glove, who then gives it to me.

Best Brewers memory ever

A lot of great memories over my 40 years of being a Brewer fan, but defining the top one is pretty easy..

Storming the field at County Stadium on October 10th, 1982 from the left/center field bleachers with my high school friends. Followed by taking the bus downtown to join the celebration on Wisconsin Avenue. The post World Series parade was awesome as well, culminating at County Stadium with Yount riding his motorcycle around the track.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived