Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
I thought there was a deal about March 25th or 26th being the typical end-of-ST start date for DL stints, but there was someone put on the 60-day DL by another team a good 2-3 weeks ago.

i'm confused as well . . . especially given this report from mass haas.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Via Mike Vassallo --

RHP Josh Stinson has been claimed off waivers by Oakland. The #Brewers' 40-man roster now stands at 39.

Bummer...just don't like losing talent, regardless of ceiling.

I'm assuming that move was made to make room for Blake Lalli... One more move would have to be made for Figaro or Hand.

Via Mike Vassallo --

RHP Josh Stinson has been claimed off waivers by Oakland. The #Brewers' 40-man roster now stands at 39.

Quick clarification:

When a team claims someone on waivers like this, it isn't required of them to put the player on their own 40-man roster, correct?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
When a team claims someone on waivers like this, it isn't required of them to put the player on their own 40-man roster, correct?

Yes, Oakland could now try to sneak Stinson through waivers themselves if they wanted to free up a 40-man roster spot.

The A's can stash Stinson at AAA all season because this is the final of his three option years. Unless they waive him off the 40-man, he remains on theirs.

Notice how the Brewers came this close to sneaking Stinson through waivers to have as depth at Nashville. All the NL clubs passed on him, and Oakland would have been one of the final AL clubs to get a chance to grab him based on last year's record.

Via Mike Vassallo --

I'm assuming that move was made to make room for Blake Lalli... One more move would have to be made for Figaro or Hand.

It's likely for Figaro or Hand, and Davis will make the roster over Lalli. Melvin said no more moves will be made.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm not a fan of this. I kind of liked what I saw from Stinson last season. The ironic thing to me is that they are keeping 13 pitchers on the roster, yet they lose someone like Stinson to keep a 'guy' like Lalli. So two of the four bench players that they will have are primarily catchers, along with Yuni and one backup OF? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not a fan of this. I kind of liked what I saw from Stinson last season. The ironic thing to me is that they are keeping 13 pitchers on the roster, yet they lose someone like Stinson to keep a 'guy' like Lalli. So two of the four bench players that they will have are primarily catchers, along with Yuni and one backup OF? Doesn't make much sense to me.

It's actually to keep Figaro or Hand, not Lalli. Davis has been pretty much confirmed for the roster over Lalli. But still, those two guys don't bring much more than Stinson would, so I agree. He pitched just as well as those 2 in ST, so not sure why he wasn't also in the conversation.

reports are that taylor green was expected to resume baseball activity by now, but he's still sidelined. jeff bianchi is even further behind. if the brewers were to transfer bianchi to the 60-day disabled list, it would allow the brewers to purchase the contract of a position player at nashville (such as lalli or halton).

when the brewers decide to revert to a 12-man pitching staff, i don't see many healthy ideal candidates on the 40-man roster ideal to fill out the bench. no healthy candidates have major league experience. one would think that the brewers were counting on green to be ready by this weekend, which is when he'd be eligible to come off the disabled list.

I doubt they were planning to go back to a 12-man staff by this weekend. More likely by, or after, next weekend after Lohse has made a few starts.

the brewers have many bullpen options that can give them more than one inning a game: chris narveson, alfredo figaro, tom gorzelanny, brandon kintzler and john axford from time to time.

I doubt they were planning to go back to a 12-man staff by this weekend. More likely by, or after, next weekend after Lohse has made a few starts.

the brewers have many bullpen options that can give them more than one inning a game: chris narveson, alfredo figaro, tom gorzelanny, brandon kintzler and john axford from time to time.

Ok, if they are using that logic, then why did they keep 13 to begin with? They obviously aren't looking at it that way. They think they need the 13th pitcher. The specific reasoning was because Lohse is still stretching out.

If the Brewers were sacrificing an excellent option as the 5th bench guy to go with a 13-man staff, I may have a beef. I think 4 on the bench is enough, given the fact that the starters are still stretching out, the Lohse progression is unpredictable, and Narveson apparently isn't quite 100% (maybe I'm reading too much into it). Plus, Figaro, and Hand or even Olmsted, look like more useful players than Blake Lalli or whoever else they have to fill the 5th spot on the bench to get virtually no ABs anyway. Once Green and Bianchi come back, I may change my mind.

Plus, the more ABs for bench guys (who are decent), the better, as far as I am concerned.

Sticking with a 4 man bench can start to limit flexibility after awhile though. More so defensively. Say Schafer is burned as a PH, then the only backup OF is Davis who isn't great defensively. Maldonado can't really be used as a PH either early because he's the backup catcher, so really they are pinned to 3 options for most pinch-hitting situations. If Yuni is burned as pinch-hitter, he's also the only backup IF. It would be nice to have an extra guy on the bench just for some protection so RRR isn't afraid to use guys to pinch-hit when he needs them.

Archived