Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's more likely now that the last bullpen spot will be taken by whoever is bumped from the rotation. Only because they are currently on the 40-man roster. Won't be able to clear enough spots to add a pitcher on top of whoever needs to be added for the bench.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

With his option to AAA, the Brewers won't need to pay a big league salary to De Los Santos. But the option also takes away the opportunity to free up a 40-man roster spot by placing him on the 60-day DL.

could the brewers make any of these moves if de los santos continues to have visa problems and is unable to enter this country, or would that qualify for a move to the restricted list?

de los santos was indeed placed on the restricted list. with the signing of kyle lohse, the roster remains at 39.

With his option to AAA, the Brewers won't need to pay a big league salary to De Los Santos. But the option also takes away the opportunity to free up a 40-man roster spot by placing him on the 60-day DL.

could the brewers make any of these moves if de los santos continues to have visa problems and is unable to enter this country, or would that qualify for a move to the restricted list?

de los santos was indeed placed on the restricted list. with the signing of kyle lohse, the roster remains at 39.

Have to assume that 40 spot goes to Murphy, he pretty much has to make the team at the moment doesnt he as the back up infielder? I'm guessing they somehow clear one more spot to make room for either Hand or Figaro

assuming bianchi and green open the season on the disabled list, i'm thinking the 40-man spot goes to blake lalli. alex gonzalez backs up at second, short and third. martin maldonado starts at first. lalli backs up at catcher and at first base.

when corey hart returns, lalli can be optioned and remains as catching depth on the 40-man roster in case of an injury.

assuming bianchi and green open the season on the disabled list, i'm thinking the 40-man spot goes to blake lalli. alex gonzalez backs up at second, short and third. martin maldonado starts at first. lalli backs up at catcher and at first base.

when corey hart returns, lalli can be optioned and remains as catching depth on the 40-man roster in case of an injury.

What makes you think Maldonado is going to be the starter at first? It seems everything they talk about has Gonzalez at first

Ditto. Gonzalez is starting at 1B with Green (if/when healthy) and Lalli (if he's on the team) more likely to play at 1B than Maldonado.

To the main topic of the thread . . . It's still possible Hart, Bianchi, & even Rogers could be put on the 60-day DL. Bianchi's not coming along at all -- opening day's only a week away -- and would probably merit a good couple weeks of extended spring training to be ready to play in games once he's healthy, and then after that a max-length rehab assignment would seem a more feasible next step than being activated onto the 25-man roster.

What makes you think Maldonado is going to be the starter at first? It seems everything they talk about has Gonzalez at first

looking at the current 39 players on the roster, and assuming that rogers, bianchi and green all go on the 15-day disabled list (and not the 60-day), the brewers will need an interim starter at first, a backup at first and a backup to play second/short/third.

i don't think the brewers would want to risk losing anybody currently on their 40-man roster to bring both donnie murphy and blake lalli on board.

furthermore, with kyle lohse signing, there's a strong possibility that the brewers will go with a 13-man pitching staff until lohse can pitch deep into games.

when you slide gonzalez into that starting role at first base, all of the other candidates for backup are not on the 40-man roster, and only one spot remains for positions that cannot be manned by any single player in the organization (one close to being major league ready). when you slide maldonado into the starting role at first base with lalli as the backup, you can get away with gonzalez covering second/short/third, plus you get both his bat and jonathan lucroy's into the starting lineup.

the best scenario for the brewers is that if green, bianchi and rogers all open the season on the disabled list, one of them goes on the 60-day disabled list (as suggested above).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Inferring on press and RR quotes, Gonzalez is probably the starter at 1B. That doesn't mean Maldonado shouldn't be.

If we keep Lalli on the roster AND start him at C or 1B ahead of Maldo... someone should be fired! Why would we be expecting that an NRI catcher that couldn't hit MLB pitching before should play ahead of someone we developed and has shown 1 year of hitting MLB pitching.

Inferring on press and RR quotes, Gonzalez is probably the starter at 1B. That doesn't mean Maldonado shouldn't be.

If we keep Lalli on the roster AND start him at C or 1B ahead of Maldo... someone should be fired! Why would we be expecting that an NRI catcher that couldn't hit MLB pitching before should play ahead of someone we developed and has shown 1 year of hitting MLB pitching.

To be honest, it's a little premature to consider Maldonado a better offensive player than Lalli based on 258 major league AB's. Lalli's older but he's been a better minor league hitter than Maldonado. He obviously doesn't have the upside but for the here and now, he might be as good or better.

i took a look at box scores in recent days and gonzalez has been getting time at the other infield positions. lalli's been getting a lot of time at first. maldonado hasn't been getting time at first, but it was reported that during the wbc, he was.

i think that given the situation with bianchi (it seems to be a given that he won't be ready by opening day), and the current state of the 40-man, the brewers are backing off on the idea of gonzalez starting at first. i'm against lalli being the starter, but would welcome maldonado getting most of the starts at first . . . especially if green opens the season on the disabled list.

however, if the brewers were thinking about maldonado at first, you'd think he'd be getting some time there in these remaining cactus league games.

I think its quite obvious Agon will be the man at first. maybe not everyday but for 4-5 days a week is my guess. Im guessing Lalli doesnt make it and they go Murphy Davis Schafer Maldy as the bench so maybe Maldy get some playing time at first as well.

if bianchi is outrighted to the minors and no team claims him, he can refuse the assignment and become a free agent. when the brewers are seeking the services of the likes of betancourt, do they really want to risk losing bianchi from the organization?

If he pitches so poorly in ST that they don't even want him in as the garbage bullpen guy, they will "find" some injury to put him on the IR. After a nice long rehab stint in the minors, if he still doesn't have it.....

In reality you can't "find" an injury. It has to be documented by people whose professional integrity is on the line. Not to mention Rogers isn't going to go along with a fake injury. Given his history it would be much worse for his career than a bad spring training would be. Even if the alternative was to be cut or go to the minors.

Did you want to reconsider any of your response? I thought for sure I just saw a posting that Rogers to the DL.

In reality you can't "find" an injury. It has to be documented by people whose professional integrity is on the line. Not to mention Rogers isn't going to go along with a fake injury. Given his history it would be much worse for his career than a bad spring training would be. Even if the alternative was to be cut or go to the minors.

Phantom injuries happen all the time. His velocity is down. All the Brewers need to do is say he has a 'tired' arm and a 15 day DL stint will ensue. He can then be sent for a rehab assignment and by the time a roster decision has to be made the brewers will have a few IP of a few pitchers to decide whether to keep Rogers on the 25-man or to waive him. By that time most teams will already be set on their 25man and won't likely claim him.

Can someone tell me why gonzo is the starting 1b over halton? I know halton isnt a sexy pick but i have a card time wrapping my head around a ss being a better option at 1st then an actual 1b. From what little i saw of haltons spring, it didnt seem terrible.

part of it is gritty veteran experience. another part of it is already being on the 40-man roster. and another part is the brewers deeming that it's not worth the risk to lose one of the players on the 40-man to make room for sean halton.

part of it is gritty veteran experience. another part of it is already being on the 40-man roster. and another part is the brewers deeming that it's not worth the risk to lose one of the players on the 40-man to make room for sean halton.

The first part makes sense but if they had any confidence in Halton they just add him to the 40 man and never sign Yuni because you would have Gonzalez to back up SS.

I think they'll waive Santo Manzanillo or Josh Stinson or both off the 40 man for room. Stinson's had a decent spring but really he's at best a 12th man on a staff and those guys are a dime a dozen. Manzanillo only has one option left and he's more than a year away. Eventually I think Rogers will have to improve his velocity or he'll be waived or moved to the 60 day.

There will be a glut of guys waived off of 40 man rosters this week. Most will make it through. It's not that big a deal. With Bianchi able to become a FA however, I suspect the Brewers won't take that chance.

both corey hart and jeff bianchi have been placed on the 15-day disabled list. both remain on the 40-man roster, and when the deal with yuniesky betancourt becomes official, the 40-man roster will be full.

if blake lalli, sean halton, alfredo figaro or donovan hand are to make the club, another player will have to be removed from the 40-man roster, or a player currently on the dl will have to be transferred to the 60-day disabled list. not sure if bianchi's injury warrants such a move.

Since Bianchi only played in one game nearly a month ago (Mar. 2nd) and has barely been progressing in the time since, I'd think he has a much greater chance of being placed on the 60-day DL. I'd also think the Brewers could very easily back-date Hart's DL time to put him on the 60-day DL, too.

I thought there was a deal about March 25th or 26th being the typical end-of-ST start date for DL stints, but there was someone put on the 60-day DL by another team a good 2-3 weeks ago.

So Hart was placed on the 15 day DL today retroactive to March 22nd. Is there any reason that they would have only backdated the DL stint to last Friday? Was that the first official day a player could be DL'd? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Per Yahoo Fantasy: Brewers placed 1B Corey Hart on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 22, with a right knee injury.

Advice: An expected move, as Hart is still in rehab mode from January surgery on his right knee. He should begin baseball activities within the next couple of weeks and the hope is that he'll be ready to return at some point before the end of May. The Brewers were considering placing him on the 60-day DL, so this move indicates that an earlier return hasn't been ruled out.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived