Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
So why did the Brewers lose him, then?

they lost him because they intended to outright him to the minor leagues in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for alex gonzalez. he was never outrighted off a 40-man roster, because the padres claimed him.

Thank you. Not sure why I couldn't remember that they outrighted him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scooter gennett, josh prince and jesus sanchez all optioned. it's the first option for all three, meaning they can be sent up and down through the 2015 season.

also, in returning hunter morris to minor league camp, it appears that the brewers do not plan to add him to the major league roster at this point. this bodes well for older players on minor league contracts trying to earn a 40-man (and 25-man) roster spot.

also, in returning hunter morris to minor league camp, it appears that the brewers do not plan to add him to the major league roster at this point. this bodes well for older players on minor league contracts trying to earn a 40-man (and 25-man) roster spot.

Seeing the way Gamel and Green have been handled, and now Schafer, I don't really believe any of the Brewers' upper-minors position prospects will be given a chance to start, at least not until it's a "last option" scenario. Unless Morris gets accolades like Braun, Weeks and Fielder, if they don't go with Gamel, I'd bet they'll sign/trade for a veteran 1B next offseason. The next position player prospects that may be given a shot are starting before they're 27 are Coulter and Roache, and both of those guys play positions that the Brewers have locked up for a long time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Adam McCalvy tweet on Morris:

Hunter Morris would've needed a huge spring to win the 1B job. Brewers believe he will benefit from AAA time.

In general, monty57, I agree with you on Melvin's aversion to giving non-elite prospects their shot until it's his last resort. However, I'm glad to see that they are keeping Morris in the minors. I don't believe he's ready yet.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It will be interesting to see how playing time is determined at Nashville with both Morris and Halton there. Neither has experience elsewhere defensively, save one game where Halton played 3B last season. The will have DH occasionally, but I'm guessing Halton will be tried some in the OF and 3B. That actually increases his chances at a major league career if he shows he can be versatile.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Seeing the way Gamel and Green have been handled, and now Schafer, I don't really believe any of the Brewers' upper-minors position prospects will be given a chance to start, at least not until it's a "last option" scenario.

Perhaps not in this current crop, no. But what are you complaining about, really?

Gamel's defense wasn't fit for 3B, but was given many chances to improve. Then he was handed the 1B starting job and got injured. Coming into this year, it looked like CH was going to be at 1B, so they got him work in the OF to be a backup. CH got hurt and he was given the starting 1B job again. And got hurt again. Not sure how to blame DM there.

Green is a decent prospect (and one of my favs), but isn't a "can't miss" guy at all. His ceiling is probably an average MLB starter. He has been given chances in the MLB and really hadn't forced anyone's hand to start him. But he will probably given some good chances now this year with Gamel and CH out.

Schafer is similar to Green. Maybe a little higher ceiling, but not too much. And now he is getting a shot to be the 4th OFer after pretty much marching year-by-year through the minor league ranks.

On the other hand, players like Segura, and Lucroy were brought up quickly and plugged into the starting position. And pitchers like Fiers, Rogers, and Peralta are getting legitimate chances also (without lingering in the minors).

I think we tend to overvalue our MiLB rank and file guys. Honestly, I think DM and crew do a decent job of identifying real prospects. They make opportunities for those guys while still giving opportunities to lower prospect types that force their way out of AAA.

I think we tend to overvalue our MiLB rank and file guys.

You think? I honestly can't believe all the harping going on in the other thread about signing Gomez and 'blocking' Schaefer. Gomez was one of the best prospects in baseball a few years back and is what, 28? Does Schaefer have one elite skill? Not from what I can see.

I think we tend to overvalue our MiLB rank and file guys.

You think? I honestly can't believe all the harping going on in the other thread about signing Gomez and 'blocking' Schaefer. Gomez was one of the best prospects in baseball a few years back and is what, 28? Does Schaefer have one elite skill? Not from what I can see.

exactly

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I personally like Schafer quite a bit, but the deal made a ton of sense for the Brewers. To me, it keeps options open, including hanging on to Gomez for good value.

However, it also gives them the chance to deal him - perhaps this offseason - to improve the team.

While Schafer doesn't have an elite skill, he is a solid player overall.

He is a plus defender in terms of range - less speed than Gomez, but takes better routes.

His arm is not as strong as Gomez, but he is more accurate and makes the right decisions.

His power is not close to Gomez, but OBP ability much better.

A good baserunner - again not the speed or stolen base threat of Gomez - but less prone to mistakes.

So glad they continue to keep him in the outfield instead of trying him at 1st for an extended period of time. I know I'm not the only one who's excited about Alex Gonzalez being the starting 1st baseman! /blue

With only two catchers and four outfield spots locked up, why wouldn't the Brewers bring this guy north? He's earned it, and I don't really see the need for them to stockpile mediocre infielders. I'd much rather have a bat like this off the bench than the dreck they have had for PH the past several years. I mean seriously, who is the primary RH bat off the bench at this point (without burning a C), Bianchi?

So glad they continue to keep him in the outfield instead of trying him at 1st for an extended period of time. I know I'm not the only one who's excited about Alex Gonzalez being the starting 1st baseman! /blue

I agree. Instead, all they say is that he tried in instructionals and it didn't go well. It's pretty clear that his only value to this team will be off the bench unless he can play some 1B. So I don't understand why they don't continue to work with him. If anything they should continue to work with him on it in AAA.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm pretty sure Morris is going to get most if not all the reps at 1B in AAA.

I get that, but Morris could still DH some games. And mainly I mean just working with him period. In practice and before games and such. Obviously he'd need some game time too, but wouldn't need to dip into Morris' playing time.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, I would think it would be better for him to play LF at AAA this year. If an opportunity (injury, suspension, whatever) presents itself, he could play at the MLB level. Otherwise he would be good trade bait.

Getting him time at 1B gives him a spot with the big league team (maybe), but it decreases his value. From what I've heard he is a decent OFer with a weak(er) arm. The only reason we talk about him at 1B is because of Braun in LF. Otherwise we wouldn't think of it.

Could it be that they are keeping their best AAA LF in the wings because Braun might be getting suspended?

they've kept khris davis in the wings because braun was absent during the world baseball classic. and he's a player whom they can send up and down for the next three seasons, so it's worth auditioning him, but not crucial. and they've kept him because he's been playing well.

there is a thread devoted to khris davis and how he could fit on the brewers' 25-man roster. this thread is devoted to how the 40-man roster evolves during spring training.

i think it's safe to state that the brewers would not even consider outrighting khris davis to the minor leagues right now (removing him from the 40-man roster). the only ways he'd be removed from the 40-man roster would be a trade or a major injury (and a call-up and placement on the 60-day disabled list).

hopefully, neither of those scenarios come to actuality in 2013.

Seeing the way Gamel and Green have been handled, and now Schafer, I don't really believe any of the Brewers' upper-minors position prospects will be given a chance to start, at least not until it's a "last option" scenario.

Perhaps not in this current crop, no. But what are you complaining about, really?

Gamel's defense wasn't fit for 3B, but was given many chances to improve. Then he was handed the 1B starting job and got injured. Coming into this year, it looked like CH was going to be at 1B, so they got him work in the OF to be a backup. CH got hurt and he was given the starting 1B job again. And got hurt again. Not sure how to blame DM there.

Green is a decent prospect (and one of my favs), but isn't a "can't miss" guy at all. His ceiling is probably an average MLB starter. He has been given chances in the MLB and really hadn't forced anyone's hand to start him. But he will probably given some good chances now this year with Gamel and CH out.

Schafer is similar to Green. Maybe a little higher ceiling, but not too much. And now he is getting a shot to be the 4th OFer after pretty much marching year-by-year through the minor league ranks.

On the other hand, players like Segura, and Lucroy were brought up quickly and plugged into the starting position. And pitchers like Fiers, Rogers, and Peralta are getting legitimate chances also (without lingering in the minors).

I think we tend to overvalue our MiLB rank and file guys. Honestly, I think DM and crew do a decent job of identifying real prospects. They make opportunities for those guys while still giving opportunities to lower prospect types that force their way out of AAA.

Not complaining as much as realizing that although I had hopes for some of our prospects, it seems the Brewers agree with national prospect watchers that our top guys are MLB backups. This is forcing us to pay market value to the guys we have as they push into their 30's. We can't afford too many market deals, and as of 2014, seven guys (Weeks, Braun, Gallardo, Ramirez, Lucroy, Gomez, Gorzellany) will make $62.55MM. Axford, Badenhop and Estrada will probably add another $14-15MM and I believe Aoki is paid around $1.5-2MM if we pick up his option. That's 11 guys at around $78MM. That probably leaves us $10MM or so for the remaining 14 guys. Gamel and Narveson will also be in arby, so if we decide to use them, they're seven figures each.

As Melvin continues to pay more and more money to a smaller number of players, we are forced to play more guys at league minimum. Unfortunately, we do not have many highly regarded guys that will play for league minimum, so we have to hope that a lot of guys perform better than any prospect watchers believed they would in order for us to have any chance to compete.

That plays into your statement that many here overvalue our farm. I agree, and that's what worries me. I "drank the Kool-Aid" and thought we had some talented pitchers that could save us, and that guys like Schafer could ease the payroll strain by taking over as a starter for league minimum. Unfortunately, no one who gets paid to rate these prospects thinks we have any stars in the system. Across the board, we hear that our minor leaguers are going to be utility players, bullpen arms, or back-of-the-rotation starters. So, we're in a position that the vast majority of our payroll is going to a handful of guys and the rest of the roster has to be made up of guys that project to have limited MLB careers. Every time we look like we may get a little room to breathe, Melvin spends more money on a market value extension.

We had a tremendous group of prospects in the system all at once, which included two potential Hall of Famers and several multiple-time All Stars. Melvin rode out their time here, and made moves like a big-market GM. Agree with what he did or not, that's what happened and why we're sitting in the position we now are, which means we have to see if one of the worst farms in the league can grow enough talent to keep the team in the smallest market in baseball afloat. I hope the young pitchers prove everyone wrong, because if they don't, we'll end up wallowing in the cellar of the NL Central for the next 5-10 years.

The cycle I don't want to see, but fear that I am seeing is that we do everything possible to win in our "window." Then we keep some "names" around that the fans know in hopes of keeping fans interested in the team while it slowly erodes until fans finally lose interest and we're forced to go into a "fire sale" while waiting for some bad contracts to come off the books.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived