Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
--jeff bianchi is out of minor league options, and was outrighted off the 40-man last year. if he's outrighted again, another team can claim him, or he can declare free agency. if bianchi does not make the 25-man roster, a 40-man spot opens.

with reports that alex gonzalez is pegged as the brewers' starting first baseman until corey hart returns, the brewers will need a bench player who can play short. this bodes well for jeff bianchi to make the 25-man roster.

I think this is going to be the case. Morris will probably end up in the minors, and some combo of Green / Gonzalez will be our first baseman, leading to an opening for another middle infielder. The decision on Bianchi can then be postponed for a while, and anything can happen during that time.

A couple of thoughts: 1) Maldonado has been playing 1B in the World Baseball Classic, so he could get some time there at the start of the season. 2) Now that Canada's out of the WBC, Green should get some starts at 3B until Ramirez is back. Hopefully he mashes and the Brewers look to him over Gonzalez as the primary 1B while Hart's out. I still can't believe we're considering using a backup SS as our everyday 1B for potentially 1/3 of the season.

My guess for the 25-man:

OF: Braun, Aoki, Gomez, Schafer, Gindl (beats Davis out because of defensive flexibility)

IF: Ramirez, Segura, Weeks, Gonzalez, Green, Bianchi

C: Lucroy, Maldonado

SP: Gallardo, Estrada, Fiers, Narveson, Rogers

RP: Axford, Badenhop, Henderson, Gorzellany, Gonzalez, Olmsted, Stinson

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tyler thornburg and johnny hellweg both optioned to the minor leagues today. they can be recalled and sent back down throughout the 2013 season and remain on the 40-man roster.

48 players remain in major league camp.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
tyler thornburg and johnny hellweg both optioned to the minor leagues today. they can be recalled and sent back down throughout the 2013 season and remain on the 40-man roster.

48 players remain in major league camp.

And because they now each have one option remaining, a reminder that they don't need to be on the 25-man roster to stay until the 2015 season.

So Roenicke is saying he wants to carry 7 relief pitchers or maybe even EIGHT. That's just ridiculous to me. That is just way, way too many pitchers and leaves you way too thin on the bench.

Isn't 7 the norm? 12 pitchers, 5 of which are starters. 5 bench players (1 Catcher, 2 OF, 2 IF).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

So Roenicke is saying he wants to carry 7 relief pitchers or maybe even EIGHT.

from todd rosiak's in-game chat on jsonline.com today:

@CraigKoplien: Funny you should ask that, Craig (speculating 12 pitchers). Ron Roenicke was just discussing that with us today. With a decent amount of off-days in the schedule early on, it looks like the Brewers will carry one more bench guy and one less reliever. That said, Roenicke wants a guy for that last spot who can play at least a little in the outfield. He's all about versatility. So Taylor Green and Jeff Bianchi might see time in the OF down here to see if they can possibly do it.

the brewers have four scheduled days off in april: the 4th, 11th, 15th and 25th.

So Roenicke is saying he wants to carry 7 relief pitchers or maybe even EIGHT. That's just ridiculous to me. That is just way, way too many pitchers and leaves you way too thin on the bench.

Given that none of the starters can be counted on to go more than 6 innings, not sure why having a guy sitting on the bench you never use is more important.

I'm fine with 7, 8 I think is way too many, especially considering we have 4 off days in April. 13 pitchers is an awful lot. They brought it up on the telecast today, how RR says 12 is likely but that he would prefer 8 relievers. I just think that's way too many.

I'm fine with 7, 8 I think is way too many, especially considering we have 4 off days in April. 13 pitchers is an awful lot. They brought it up on the telecast today, how RR says 12 is likely but that he would prefer 8 relievers. I just think that's way too many.

I wonder if his long time coaching in the AL is why he's so fond of 8-man bullpens.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He's all about versatility. So Taylor Green and Jeff Bianchi might see time in the OF down here to see if they can possibly do it.

So rather than keeping Gindl or Davis, who have both been playing out of their minds, we'll play a so-so player out of position so that we can carry a mediocre bullpen arm who will likely never pitch. I understand the 5th OF doesn't see much defensive playing time, but Gindl/Davis would probably be our top bat off the bench, which I would think would be more important than an 8th bullpen arm.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The 5th OF is a kiss of death for a prospect. No way in heck should he even spend 1 second considering a prospect who might actually start for the team in that role. Schafer as a 4th OF is fine since they see more playing time and he is already 26 so he doesn't have much time left as a prospect but no way should Davis or Gindl make this roster unless they plan on playing 1B while Hart is out.

I Wonder would it benefit Gindi or Davis from getting AB in Triple A or sitting on the Bench in Milwaukee?

Khris Davis only has 1/4 of a year in AAA under his belt so he could definitely use more playing time there. Gindl was pretty much awful last year at AAA so I'd think he would benefit from more time there unless they are ready to proclaim him a future 4th OF and then I guess it doesn't matter if he ends up as the 5th man.

He's all about versatility. So Taylor Green and Jeff Bianchi might see time in the OF down here to see if they can possibly do it.

So rather than keeping Gindl or Davis, who have both been playing out of their minds, we'll play a so-so player out of position so that we can carry a mediocre bullpen arm who will likely never pitch. I understand the 5th OF doesn't see much defensive playing time, but Gindl/Davis would probably be our top bat off the bench, which I would think would be more important than an 8th bullpen arm.

Green and Bianchi are out of options, so they'd have to clear waivers to go to the minors at this point. might as well give them one last shot before becoming PTBNL bait.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Green and Bianchi are out of options, so they'd have to clear waivers to go to the minors at this point. might as well give them one last shot before becoming PTBNL bait.

per the opening post of this thread, bianchi is out of minor league options. green has two minor league options remaining, meaning he can be optioned down in 2013 and 2014 before having to clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors.

per the opening post of this thread, bianchi is out of minor league options. green has two minor league options remaining, meaning he can be optioned down in 2013 and 2014 before having to clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors.

green and his option years are not mentioned in the opening post of this thread, or anywhere on the first page.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

So rather than keeping Gindl or Davis, who have both been playing out of their minds, we'll play a so-so player out of position so that we can carry a mediocre bullpen arm who will likely never pitch.

I wouldn't read too much in how they are playing in spring training. Gindl played out of his mind last spring as well. Then he went to AAA and played like crap for a long stretch of the season. Davis has very little AAA time and both would probably better better off long term getting regular playing time than sitting at the end of the bench getting 5 ab's a week. To start the season I'm not overly worried about having 5 actual outfielders. Much like a 3rd catcher the fifth guy would probably only get emergency duty anyway. I think a infielder with decent athletic ability can handle emergency duty for half a game or so. If it needs to be longer than that call someone up then. The other argument for more infielders is the unsettled first base issue. I'd think more options there gives us the best chance of maximizing production there. I also think the last guy in the pen tends to get used more than the last guy on the bench. Especially when we have a lot of young starters. Several of which have command issues and have started slow in the past.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

lets not forget that Gomez and Hart are both FA after this season, so theres a good chance that if either or both are gone, that will open the door for Gindl or Davis next year with Aoki and Schaeffer

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Maybe RR doesn't think the young starters will go deep enough, especially to start the season and feels he needs another bullpen guy to spread out the innings.

But if he is going to go with 8 in the bullpen, then RR better still split up the innings. It will be a waste if he still abuses his "Loe" and doesn't play his #8 guy except one game a week. If he can split up the innings, it should mean a fresh bullpen for the season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
RHP Nick Bucci, 22, who was re-assigned to minor league camp a couple of weeks ago, has been formally optioned to AA Huntsville. It's his first option, he can be bounced back and forth between the minors and majors in 2014 and 2015 as well if need be.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Not that it matters now, but the crazy world of "minor league options" strikes again.

Yesterday the Padres optioned RHP Fautino De Los Santos (Kottaras trade, subsequently claimed by the Padres, and also named in the Miami PED controversy).

Now, it had been widely reported, even at the time of the Kottaras trade, that 2012 was De Los Santos' last option year.

And that seemed very accurate, as Baseball Prospectus shows (bottom of linked page), De Los Santos was added to the A's 40-man roster in November 2009. He spent time in the minor leagues (optioned) in 2010, 2011, and 2012 while maintaining his 40-man roster status (Baseball Cube stats).

He never missed a full or near-full season, so he would not have been a candidate to petition for a 4th option year.

I've contacted the Padres' MLB.com guy to see if we can learn more, mainly just out of curiosity.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I've contacted the Padres' MLB.com guy to see if we can learn more, mainly just out of curiosity.

That was quick. Corey Brock of MLB.com with a vague answer, but confirming the existance of the mysterious 4th option year:

Was told he had a 4th. Unsure of why.

So why did the Brewers lose him, then?

they lost him because they intended to outright him to the minor leagues in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for alex gonzalez. he was never outrighted off a 40-man roster, because the padres claimed him.

Not that it matters now, but the crazy world of "minor league options" strikes again.

He (Fautino De Los Santos) never missed a full or near-full season, so he would not have been a candidate to petition for a 4th option year.

could it be possible that de los santos encountered visa problems in one or more seasons and had difficulty entering and staying in this country for an extended period of time? could a team then claim that they were unable to properly evaluate his development and thus, request a fourth option year?

if that were the case, wouldn't we have seen de los santos placed on the restricted list during that time?

Archived